Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

(First Build) Is this build good enough for gaming?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
April 7, 2014 10:50:55 AM

Hi, this is my first time building a Gaming Pc. I was wondering if this build is good enough to play most games on Ultra/Very High on 1080p. I will share this pc with my brother, and we will also use this for school work. Also, do you have any recommendations for better parts to choose? Thanks in advance


PCPartPicker part list: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/3nEq2
Price breakdown by merchant: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/3nEq2/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/3nEq2/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor (£161.99 @ Aria PC)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (£25.45 @ Scan.co.uk)
Motherboard: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£89.99 @ Novatech)
Memory: G.Skill Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory (£64.25 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk (£55.00 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£53.99 @ Aria PC)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 3GB Video Card (£399.00 @ Scan.co.uk)
Case: Cooler Master HAF X ATX Full Tower Case (£134.35 @ Dabs)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (£64.99 @ Amazon UK)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer (£11.69 @ CCL Computers)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) (£80.32 @ Amazon UK)
Monitor: BenQ GW2750HM 27.0" Monitor (£198.32 @ Scan.co.uk)
Case Fan: Cooler Master Megaflow 110.0 CFM 200mm Fan (£9.98 @ Novatech)
Keyboard: Cooler Master CM Storm QuickFire TK Wired Gaming Keyboard (£70.78 @ Scan.co.uk)
Mouse: Mionix NAOS 8200 Wired Laser Mouse (£42.14 @ Aria PC)
Headphones: Genius Lychas HS G550 Headset (£21.20 @ CCL Computers)
Total: £1483.44
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-04-07 18:50 BST+0100)
April 7, 2014 10:53:39 AM

Looks to be a good solid build to me.
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
April 7, 2014 10:54:44 AM

lol... i dont think much elaboration is needed here.
YES! you'll be fine at 1080p 60fps
m
0
l
Related resources
a b 4 Gaming
April 7, 2014 10:54:54 AM

DawidMacho said:
Hi, this is my first time building a Gaming Pc. I was wondering if this build is good enough to play most games on Ultra/Very High on 1080p. I will share this pc with my brother, and we will also use this for school work. Also, do you have any recommendations for better parts to choose? Thanks in advance


PCPartPicker part list: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/3nEq2
Price breakdown by merchant: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/3nEq2/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/3nEq2/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor (£161.99 @ Aria PC)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (£25.45 @ Scan.co.uk)
Motherboard: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£89.99 @ Novatech)
Memory: G.Skill Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory (£64.25 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk (£55.00 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£53.99 @ Aria PC)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 3GB Video Card (£399.00 @ Scan.co.uk)
Case: Cooler Master HAF X ATX Full Tower Case (£134.35 @ Dabs)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (£64.99 @ Amazon UK)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer (£11.69 @ CCL Computers)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) (£80.32 @ Amazon UK)
Monitor: BenQ GW2750HM 27.0" Monitor (£198.32 @ Scan.co.uk)
Case Fan: Cooler Master Megaflow 110.0 CFM 200mm Fan (£9.98 @ Novatech)
Keyboard: Cooler Master CM Storm QuickFire TK Wired Gaming Keyboard (£70.78 @ Scan.co.uk)
Mouse: Mionix NAOS 8200 Wired Laser Mouse (£42.14 @ Aria PC)
Headphones: Genius Lychas HS G550 Headset (£21.20 @ CCL Computers)
Total: £1483.44
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-04-07 18:50 BST+0100)


I like the unlocked processor. If you ever intend to OC, get something like a refurbished Corsair water cooler. They range from $46 to $100 on Newegg.
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
April 7, 2014 11:08:44 AM

I would suggest adding a Tazer-it's the only way you'll get your brother off it! ;) 
Only suggestion is that you should look into overclocking: Take notes, add URLs to your Favourites, record DVDs of your own instructions...Then don't do it.
Seriously, hold off on the overclock for a couple of years, that rig really doesn't need it, and when you do it's like a free CPU upgrade. We're getting quite a few posts at the moment from users with older i7 and i5 systems (like mine) who find that adding a Hyper 212 Evo and a more powerful graphics card gets their systems back into the high/ultra settings they want without the cost of a new Haswell+Mobo+RAM and, possibly, a new Windows license.
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
April 7, 2014 11:38:06 AM

maurelie said:
Yes, it will play almost any game today on high-ultra resolutions
Only note: Better get this PSU, it is from a reputable brand and almost the same price

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/part/xfx-power-supply-p1650x...


Geez. I play tribes ascend and war thunder with a GTX 460 768 MB at max graphics with no lag.
m
0
l
April 7, 2014 11:40:55 AM

Hello man said:
maurelie said:
Yes, it will play almost any game today on high-ultra resolutions
Only note: Better get this PSU, it is from a reputable brand and almost the same price

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/part/xfx-power-supply-p1650x...


Geez. I play tribes ascend and war thunder with a GTX 460 768 MB at max graphics with no lag.



i tottaly get u, i have a 7950 running eyefinity and 60fps in most games (bf4,bf3,crysis 3, farcry) high settings
m
0
l
April 7, 2014 12:29:58 PM

maurelie said:
Yes, it will play almost any game today on high-ultra resolutions
Only note: Better get this PSU, it is from a reputable brand and almost the same price

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/part/xfx-power-supply-p1650x...


Is this PSU better even though its 80 + Bronze and not Gold? Andit doesn't seem to have full modular? I always thought Fully modular and gold was the best... Maybe its just my inexperience with computers :) 
m
0
l
April 7, 2014 12:34:17 PM

coozie7 said:
I would suggest adding a Tazer-it's the only way you'll get your brother off it! ;) 
Only suggestion is that you should look into overclocking: Take notes, add URLs to your Favourites, record DVDs of your own instructions...Then don't do it.
Seriously, hold off on the overclock for a couple of years, that rig really doesn't need it, and when you do it's like a free CPU upgrade. We're getting quite a few posts at the moment from users with older i7 and i5 systems (like mine) who find that adding a Hyper 212 Evo and a more powerful graphics card gets their systems back into the high/ultra settings they want without the cost of a new Haswell+Mobo+RAM and, possibly, a new Windows license.


Lol, Im pretty cool with my brother ;) 
Anyways, I was under the impression that I should overclock, and that getting a 'k' version of intel would be a waste without overclocking it. Do you think I shouldn't overclock the CPU or GPU until it starts to 'age'?

m
0
l
April 7, 2014 12:37:16 PM

Hello man said:
DawidMacho said:
Hi, this is my first time building a Gaming Pc. I was wondering if this build is good enough to play most games on Ultra/Very High on 1080p. I will share this pc with my brother, and we will also use this for school work. Also, do you have any recommendations for better parts to choose? Thanks in advance


PCPartPicker part list: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/3nEq2
Price breakdown by merchant: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/3nEq2/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/3nEq2/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor (£161.99 @ Aria PC)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (£25.45 @ Scan.co.uk)
Motherboard: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£89.99 @ Novatech)
Memory: G.Skill Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory (£64.25 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk (£55.00 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£53.99 @ Aria PC)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 3GB Video Card (£399.00 @ Scan.co.uk)
Case: Cooler Master HAF X ATX Full Tower Case (£134.35 @ Dabs)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (£64.99 @ Amazon UK)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer (£11.69 @ CCL Computers)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) (£80.32 @ Amazon UK)
Monitor: BenQ GW2750HM 27.0" Monitor (£198.32 @ Scan.co.uk)
Case Fan: Cooler Master Megaflow 110.0 CFM 200mm Fan (£9.98 @ Novatech)
Keyboard: Cooler Master CM Storm QuickFire TK Wired Gaming Keyboard (£70.78 @ Scan.co.uk)
Mouse: Mionix NAOS 8200 Wired Laser Mouse (£42.14 @ Aria PC)
Headphones: Genius Lychas HS G550 Headset (£21.20 @ CCL Computers)
Total: £1483.44
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-04-07 18:50 BST+0100)


I like the unlocked processor. If you ever intend to OC, get something like a refurbished Corsair water cooler. They range from $46 to $100 on Newegg.


I have read reviews saying that the evo 212 was as good as more expensive alternatives... and I'm afraid of a leak in the water cooling (if thats is even possible) If not, then I'm happy to have water cooling in my rig :) 
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
April 7, 2014 12:41:10 PM

DawidMacho said:
maurelie said:
Yes, it will play almost any game today on high-ultra resolutions
Only note: Better get this PSU, it is from a reputable brand and almost the same price

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/part/xfx-power-supply-p1650x...


Is this PSU better even though its 80 + Bronze and not Gold? Andit doesn't seem to have full modular? I always thought Fully modular and gold was the best... Maybe its just my inexperience with computers :) 


What matters is the Brand, semi modular or fully modular is just a personal preference. Yes Gold rating is better but not from EVGA manufacturer. Better to have 80 Bronze form reputable manufacturer than 80 Gold form brand that doesn't make quality PSU.
Always get quality PSU, since it is one of the most important part in the system. When bad PSU fails, it may ruin the entire system.
m
0
l
April 7, 2014 12:44:32 PM

maurelie said:
DawidMacho said:
maurelie said:
Yes, it will play almost any game today on high-ultra resolutions
Only note: Better get this PSU, it is from a reputable brand and almost the same price

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/part/xfx-power-supply-p1650x...


Is this PSU better even though its 80 + Bronze and not Gold? Andit doesn't seem to have full modular? I always thought Fully modular and gold was the best... Maybe its just my inexperience with computers :) 


What matters is the Brand, semi modular or fully modular is just a personal preference. Yes Gold rating is better but not from EVGA manufacturer. Better to have 80 Bronze form reputable manufacturer than 80 Gold form brand that doesn't make quality PSU.
Always get quality PSU, since it is one of the most important part in the system. When bad PSU fails, it may ruin the entire system.


Thanks. :)  do you think this PSU is a good choice? I would prefer a gold rated psu :) 
http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/part/xfx-power-supply-p1650b...
m
0
l

Best solution

a b 4 Gaming
April 7, 2014 12:47:00 PM

DawidMacho said:
maurelie said:
DawidMacho said:
maurelie said:
Yes, it will play almost any game today on high-ultra resolutions
Only note: Better get this PSU, it is from a reputable brand and almost the same price

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/part/xfx-power-supply-p1650x...


Is this PSU better even though its 80 + Bronze and not Gold? Andit doesn't seem to have full modular? I always thought Fully modular and gold was the best... Maybe its just my inexperience with computers :) 


What matters is the Brand, semi modular or fully modular is just a personal preference. Yes Gold rating is better but not from EVGA manufacturer. Better to have 80 Bronze form reputable manufacturer than 80 Gold form brand that doesn't make quality PSU.
Always get quality PSU, since it is one of the most important part in the system. When bad PSU fails, it may ruin the entire system.


Thanks. :)  do you think this PSU is a good choice? I would prefer a gold rated psu :) 
http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/part/xfx-power-supply-p1650b...


That one is a killer , Tier 1 PSU
Share
April 7, 2014 12:49:53 PM

maurelie said:
DawidMacho said:
maurelie said:
DawidMacho said:
maurelie said:
Yes, it will play almost any game today on high-ultra resolutions
Only note: Better get this PSU, it is from a reputable brand and almost the same price

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/part/xfx-power-supply-p1650x...


Is this PSU better even though its 80 + Bronze and not Gold? Andit doesn't seem to have full modular? I always thought Fully modular and gold was the best... Maybe its just my inexperience with computers :) 


What matters is the Brand, semi modular or fully modular is just a personal preference. Yes Gold rating is better but not from EVGA manufacturer. Better to have 80 Bronze form reputable manufacturer than 80 Gold form brand that doesn't make quality PSU.
Always get quality PSU, since it is one of the most important part in the system. When bad PSU fails, it may ruin the entire system.


Thanks. :)  do you think this PSU is a good choice? I would prefer a gold rated psu :) 
http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/part/xfx-power-supply-p1650b...


That one is a killer , Tier 1 PSU


Ok, thanks ;)  I'll choose that one then.
m
0
l
!