7200 RPM 1TB vs 5700 RPM 3TB for gaming?

resevil2008

Honorable
Jul 19, 2013
Okay, so I need your help here people.

I was about to write the whole story but it doesn't really add much to the decision.

What's better for a gaming computer, keeping a 1TB 7200 RPM drive I'm already using or put in a new one that's 3TB 5700 RPM, yes, 5700 RPM (which I haven't heard of, but it's kind of a new model), not 5400 RPM.

A person bought the 3TB one, but told me that she didn't need 3TB at all, since all she needs it for is storing stuff, and office work, so I could keep it for my computer if I gave her my 1TB drive, which is not old at all.

What should I do? What would be better for a gaming PC?

Solution
Keep the 1TB drive. 1TB is generally more than enough space for any single person unless you like to hoard or collect things. Or have an actual business need for more space, in which you'd likely have external hard drives anyways.

You always want the fastest possible, even if that means having less available space (obviously extremes are not taken into account). I'm unsure of actual values, but going from a 7200 RPM drive to a 5700 RPM would likely greatly increase your loading times.

enemy1g

Honorable
Keep the 1TB drive. 1TB is generally more than enough space for any single person unless you like to hoard or collect things. Or have an actual business need for more space, in which you'd likely have external hard drives anyways.

You always want the fastest possible, even if that means having less available space (obviously extremes are not taken into account). I'm unsure of actual values, but going from a 7200 RPM drive to a 5700 RPM would likely greatly increase your loading times.

Solution

resevil2008

Honorable
Jul 19, 2013
Okay, I'll keep the 7200 RPM drive then.

Thank you all!

I just saw those things like the Advanced Format, and an 6Gb/s SATA interface, which I knew little about, and I thought maybe I could give it a try.

For general storage I just use a 5400 RPM 2,5 little HDD that fits in my Z11 Plus, for gaming I use the 7200 RPM one.

Thank you again.