i3 4130 vs fx 6300

Degrah123

Reputable
Apr 7, 2014
I'm choosing between theses two processors. I can get either of them for 90€ so there isn't any difference in price. I have already found some forums about this topic but none had a finite answer. I'll be mostly playing games and browsing the net.
Main differences are: i3 4130 has better fps in games but only 2 cores and cannot be OCed, while 6300 has 6 cores and can still be OCed but is slower on single core processes.
So what do you recommend? I'll have a gtx 660 (untill then gts 250) and 4-8 gigs of ram.
If I wasn't clear enough please say so and I'll edit the post.

Solution
Most games utilize 3 or more cores, so I would say go with AMD due to the overclock-ability to get more preformance. Also if you ever plan on editing and rendering HD videos those 6 cores are going to smoke the i3's 2 cores.
FX 6300 for sure, there is no anology here!!! fx 6300>i3 4130 specially of play AAA tittles, 2 cores are barely enough, for example in crysis 3 it is the difference between 40fps to 20 fps, so don't make any mistake to buy a dual core CPU for your rig, look at the difference here
http://www.pcgameshardware.de/Crysis-3-PC-235317/Tests/...

schau314

Honorable
Feb 10, 2014
It really depends on your needs. They can both be bought for the same price as stated. The i3 has two strong cores while the fx has 6 decent cores. The only problem with overclocking is that you need an expensive board and a nice cooler. The board might be 40 or so more than normal and a good cooler is around 30. You can always buy the cooler later for overclocking though. The fx line is dying out but intel is switching to a new motherboard so both have a shorter lifespan.

STACKS ON DECK

Distinguished

it just gives overall idea, not a buying guide . . the CPU listed are both almost equal . just locked versus unlocked . some pros and some cons of both make them quite similar

OldHickory

Reputable
Mar 20, 2014
Most games utilize 3 or more cores, so I would say go with AMD due to the overclock-ability to get more preformance. Also if you ever plan on editing and rendering HD videos those 6 cores are going to smoke the i3's 2 cores.

Solution

maurelie

Honorable
Both of them will trade blows in different scenarios.

Pros for i3 4130
-Better Single Core Performance
-Lower power consumption
-Better motherboard(meaning, using h81,b85 or h87, will have better path to upgrade to i5 or i7)

Cons of i3 4130
-Worse multithreaded performance
-Locked Processor

Pros of FX 6300
-Better Multi Core performance
-Unlocked Processor
-Games in future may utilize all of its cores, therefore better performance.

Cons for FX6300
-Higher power consumption
-Worse Single Core Performance
-Upgrade path with the same motherboard, FX 8320/FX 8350

It is a tough one :)

+1 agreed.