So it's DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) with timings 8-8-8-24 & is 1.5V
I'm running Win 7 64 bit. I have an FX 6300 on an ASUS M5A97 R2.0 mobo, so the ram is in dual channels.
I started with 8Gb of this ram and using Sony Vegas 12 it would consume about 7.8 Gb a lot of the time. So I added another set of the identical ram bringing it to the 16Gb. Now my usage will sometimes hit 15.7 Gb (monitoring with Win 7's Performance Monitor). In Vegas I'm rendering some projects with twixtor, multiple effects, etc and that's why it's consuming so much ram. And I will often have multiple instances of Vegas open. So I thought if it's still consuming max ram now I'd try bringing it up to 24Gb. I'm planning an upgrade and second system build so the swapped out 8Gb would be used in another system.
So it's DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) with timings 9-9-9-24 & is 1.5V
So the difference between my current 8Gb (4 x 4) and this 16Gb (2 x 8) is the timing. Right now I have the 16Gb in XMP profile to get the right timing and it works great. My thought was to just set my new config all to cas 9. Will this work?
More about :upgrading 24gb ram ram configuration work
The answer is a most definite MAYBE - any time you mix DRAM it can be problematic, even with the same exact sets, you are mixing densities, and timings, can try, and it might all play together, if you do try and have problems give me a shout and we can play a bit with the timings and voltages
Thanks Trasdesman1 for the honest answer. I figured it might be a bit of a gamble, but thought I'd get another opinion. So it's a bit of a pocketbook hit to land back where I'm at already, albeit with 2 x 8's rather than 4 x 4's. So I'm now leaning towards waiting until I do the upgrade \ second system build, and then going for a 32Gb set off the bat. That would be with either an FX 8320 or 8350 on an ASUS M5A 99fxpro. A better editing experience all around. I could throw the new proc and 32Gb on the M5A 97, but I like the 6+2+2 power phasing and better heat sink on the 99fx pro. I think I'd rather save up the moolah for the complete upgrade, and known compatibility. Thanks.
No worries, would prefer people KNOW they might well run into problems rather than take a common approach here and elsewhere of - "Sure it will work", working with DRAM is sort o a specialty of mine, it's prob the least understood component in a rig