Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

will this be enough for heavy gaming and video rendering?

Last response: in Components
Share
April 8, 2014 4:18:47 AM

Processor : Intel Core i7 4770
Mainboard: ASRock B85 KILLER
Hardisk : seagata 1TB sata3
Memory (Ram) : Team Elite DDR3 PC12800 1600Mhz Dual Channel 8GB (2X4GB)
DVD : RW 22X
Graphic (VGA) : geforce gtx 770
Casing : Cooler Master K282 GAMING CHASSIS SIDE WINDOW
power supply: 550w superflower
ssd: Samsung SSD 840 EVO 120GB

not planning to over clock (since i dont know what it is, how to do it, and i heard it can damage the components)
the games i will be playing are battlefield 4, bunch of new games from steam too, and a few dayz and rust. a little game like amnesia too, just for nostalgia lol

i'll be playing while recording, and then editing through vegas pro, and then uploading it to youtube.
while waiting for it to be done (the upload to youtube), i will be running photoshop to make thumbnails for youtube, ORRR maybe play some more while recording again

hahaha i dont know if this will be enough, so i need your help guys!what do you think? thank you!
btw, loving the forum here. so helpful
April 8, 2014 8:24:24 AM

Whats your budget?

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1240 V3 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($267.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: ASRock B85 Killer ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($94.99 @ Micro Center)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($154.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($89.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($57.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 770 2GB Video Card ($309.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Antec High Current Gamer 620W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: LG GH24NSB0 DVD/CD Writer ($14.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1110.89
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-04-08 12:44 EDT-0400)

If no OC Xeon E3-1240 V3 is a better option, it's same as i7 and it's cheaper also 16GB 1866MHz CL9 RAM would give you better performance in video editing
m
0
l
April 8, 2014 9:34:28 AM

With what you're wanting to do, that's a great setup. The i7 is perfect for editing and when streaming/recording, and the 770 will get you max settings in BF4. The only thing I would change is the HDD, get something from Hitachi or WD; Seagate has a pretty high failure rate.

Good build :) 
m
0
l
Related resources
April 8, 2014 10:07:52 AM

What would you recommend to replace the ram with? As long as it doesnt exceed 75$ I can manage

Also thank you for the recommendation for the HDD! I will change it like you said :D 
m
0
l
April 8, 2014 10:12:16 AM

azkarthur said:
What would you recommend to replace the ram with? As long as it doesnt exceed 75$ I can manage

Also thank you for the recommendation for the HDD! I will change it like you said :D 


That RAM is on sale now and it's cheaper than some 1600MHz kits, save up some money and get 16GB kit it will give you great performance increase in your need! :) 
m
0
l
April 8, 2014 10:26:43 AM

Which ram? Sorry confused right now
m
0
l
April 8, 2014 5:56:32 PM

Ahmadjon said:
azkarthur said:
Which ram? Sorry confused right now


I meant RAM (Random Access Memory), Memory kit which is Corsair Vengeance Pro 2x8GB 1866MHz CL9 (9-10-9-27. 1,5v)!

Edit: Photoshop will utilize 16GB RAM, but if you're OK with 8GB then G.Skill Ares 2x4GB 1600MHz RAM will be good option!
http://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Adobe-Photosh...
http://www.gavtrain.com/?p=1569


ohh okay then how about this?

Processor : Intel Core i7 4770
Mainboard: ASRock B85/Z87 KILLER
Hardisk : hitachi 1TB sata3
Memory (Ram) : Corsair CMZ8GX3M1A1600C10B (1 X 8GB)
DVD : RW 22X
Graphic (VGA) : geforce gtx 770
Casing : Cooler Master K282 GAMING CHASSIS SIDE WINDOW
power supply: 550w superflower
ssd: Samsung SSD 840 EVO 120GB

because I'm tied to my budget, i can't buy the 16gb ram right away. i pick the 8GB instead of the (2x4)GB so that i can just add one RAM later. is that possible? to add another ram after the build is done, i mean.
and can you please tell me if the parts pick is compatible and good for vide editing/gaming please? thank you! :D 
m
0
l
April 8, 2014 6:19:08 PM

make sure you have good internet as streaming will be internet dependant. Also, not sure if you can do it now but having faster hard drives a la ssds will help rendering a lot. You'll be fine for now but having dedicated SSD's to my videos has helped me tremendously.
m
0
l
April 8, 2014 6:25:26 PM

ohyouknow said:
make sure you have good internet as streaming will be internet dependant. Also, not sure if you can do it now but having faster hard drives a la ssds will help rendering a lot. You'll be fine for now but having dedicated SSD's to my videos has helped me tremendously.


my internet speed is only 6Mbps at the moment :( 

as for the ssd, I'm going to do the RST thingy. i'll be opening the video editing program a lot, so i hope it can recognize it and make it faster
m
0
l
April 8, 2014 8:32:52 PM

azkarthur said:
Ahmadjon said:
azkarthur said:
Which ram? Sorry confused right now


I meant RAM (Random Access Memory), Memory kit which is Corsair Vengeance Pro 2x8GB 1866MHz CL9 (9-10-9-27. 1,5v)!

Edit: Photoshop will utilize 16GB RAM, but if you're OK with 8GB then G.Skill Ares 2x4GB 1600MHz RAM will be good option!
http://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Adobe-Photosh...
http://www.gavtrain.com/?p=1569


ohh okay then how about this?

Processor : Intel Core i7 4770
Mainboard: ASRock B85/Z87 KILLER
Hardisk : hitachi 1TB sata3
Memory (Ram) : Corsair CMZ8GX3M1A1600C10B (1 X 8GB)
DVD : RW 22X
Graphic (VGA) : geforce gtx 770
Casing : Cooler Master K282 GAMING CHASSIS SIDE WINDOW
power supply: 550w superflower
ssd: Samsung SSD 840 EVO 120GB

because I'm tied to my budget, i can't buy the 16gb ram right away. i pick the 8GB instead of the (2x4)GB so that i can just add one RAM later. is that possible? to add another ram after the build is done, i mean.
and can you please tell me if the parts pick is compatible and good for vide editing/gaming please? thank you! :D 


Motherboard in your build has 4-DIMM slots so if you can't get 16GB now, I would recommend you 2x4GB 1866MHz CL9 RAM, later you can add second same model RAM and have total 16GB.
Also all components are fully compatible :) 
Last thing I would recommend you WD Blue 1TB which costs like ~60$

P.S. You have good connection (IMHO) :D  mine is 12 times slower than yours
(Download ~512kbp/s, Upload ~256kbp/s)

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($57.98 @ OutletPC)
Total: $137.97
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-04-08 23:29 EDT-0400)
m
0
l
April 9, 2014 4:29:30 AM

Ahmadjon said:
azkarthur said:
Ahmadjon said:
azkarthur said:
Which ram? Sorry confused right now


I meant RAM (Random Access Memory), Memory kit which is Corsair Vengeance Pro 2x8GB 1866MHz CL9 (9-10-9-27. 1,5v)!

Edit: Photoshop will utilize 16GB RAM, but if you're OK with 8GB then G.Skill Ares 2x4GB 1600MHz RAM will be good option!
http://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Adobe-Photosh...
http://www.gavtrain.com/?p=1569


ohh okay then how about this?

Processor : Intel Core i7 4770
Mainboard: ASRock B85/Z87 KILLER
Hardisk : hitachi 1TB sata3
Memory (Ram) : Corsair CMZ8GX3M1A1600C10B (1 X 8GB)
DVD : RW 22X
Graphic (VGA) : geforce gtx 770
Casing : Cooler Master K282 GAMING CHASSIS SIDE WINDOW
power supply: 550w superflower
ssd: Samsung SSD 840 EVO 120GB

because I'm tied to my budget, i can't buy the 16gb ram right away. i pick the 8GB instead of the (2x4)GB so that i can just add one RAM later. is that possible? to add another ram after the build is done, i mean.
and can you please tell me if the parts pick is compatible and good for vide editing/gaming please? thank you! :D 


Motherboard in your build has 4-DIMM slots so if you can't get 16GB now, I would recommend you 2x4GB 1866MHz CL9 RAM, later you can add second same model RAM and have total 16GB.
Also all components are fully compatible :) 
Last thing I would recommend you WD Blue 1TB which costs like ~60$

P.S. You have good connection (IMHO) :D  mine is 12 times slower than yours
(Download ~512kbp/s, Upload ~256kbp/s)

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($57.98 @ OutletPC)
Total: $137.97
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-04-08 23:29 EDT-0400)


okay then, my build will be like this :D 
Processor : Intel Core i7 4770
Mainboard: Z87 KILLER
Hardisk : shitachi 1TB sata3
Memory (Ram) : Corsair CMZ8GX3M2A1600C8 (2 X 4GB)
DVD : RW 22X
Graphic (VGA) : geforce gtx 770
Casing : Cooler Master K282 GAMING CHASSIS SIDE WINDOW
power supply: 550w superflower
ssd: Samsung SSD 840 EVO 120GB

probably the heaviest moment of using this computer will be when I'm uploading to youtube, and playing while recording at the same time lol
m
0
l
April 9, 2014 7:13:08 AM

If you're going to be recording while playing, make sure the game is on the SSD first, you don't want to record to the same disk you're playing on.

Also, why are you getting the Z87 K1ller board with a locked CPU?
m
0
l
April 9, 2014 7:18:35 AM

Do not get the 4770, and certainly do not get a Z87 motherboard to go with it. You are wasting money.
m
0
l
April 9, 2014 7:21:48 AM

HiTechObsessed said:
If you're going to be recording while playing, make sure the game is on the SSD first, you don't want to record to the same disk you're playing on.

Also, why are you getting the Z87 K1ller board with a locked CPU?


i made another thread on another category too and thats what people suggest... should i not do it then? what mb is better for me if I'm not planning to use a cpu that can be over clocked then?
the reason i picked 4770 instead of 4770K is because i dont know how over clock works, i dont know if its gonna do me any good in what I'm gonna do, and because i heard it can damage the components :| sorry for the trouble, I'm just not an expert at this.
if the motherboard is already perfect for me, then should i change the cpu instead? into a 4770K?
m
0
l
April 9, 2014 7:26:13 AM

CTurbo said:
Do not get the 4770, and certainly do not get a Z87 motherboard to go with it. You are wasting money.


then what should i get? why not 4770?
can you recommend me something?
m
0
l
April 9, 2014 7:28:11 AM

Either get the 4770k and Z87 motherboard, or save a whole lot of money and get the Xeon e3-1230v3 and a B85 or H87 motherboard.



For the record, I do NOT think overclocking is worth the extra money. You will save at minimum $125 by not trying to overclock. That money could get you a 240GB ssd or a much better video card.
m
0
l
April 9, 2014 7:35:45 AM

CTurbo said:
Either get the 4770k and Z87 motherboard, or save a whole lot of money and get the Xeon e3-1230v3 and a B85 or H87 motherboard.



For the record, I do NOT think overclocking is worth the extra money. You will save at minimum $125 by not trying to overclock. That money could get you a 240GB ssd or a much better video card.


sorry but i asked why not the 4770, people been saying that it is really good, and i dont get the reason why i should get xeon e3 instead of the 4770 instead since 4770 is faster
m
0
l
April 9, 2014 7:47:16 AM

The Xeon is essentially the same thing as the i7, as it has hyperthreading, and the decrease in 0.2 GHz clock speed is negligible.

However, if you're going with the Z87 board, I would get the 4770k, a good cooler, and overclock it as far as can go, as it will greatly help you for video editing/rendering.
m
0
l
April 9, 2014 7:49:38 AM

The 4770 is a great cpu, it's just not a great value. The Xeon e3-1230v3 offers 99% of the performance of the 4770, but it's $65 cheaper. Is 100mhz/200mhz worth $65 to you? You'll never ever notice the difference.


I try to help people get the most for their money.
m
0
l
April 9, 2014 7:56:13 AM

HiTechObsessed said:
The Xeon is essentially the same thing as the i7, as it has hyperthreading, and the decrease in 0.2 GHz clock speed is negligible.

However, if you're going with the Z87 board, I would get the 4770k, a good cooler, and overclock it as far as can go, as it will greatly help you for video editing/rendering.


hmm... i thought the i7 is much better... sorry man I'm not trying to disrespect your opinion or anything, its just that many said that i7 is better, and many also said that xeon is the better one. I'm going to leave the computer on for like 16 hours a day for the whole holiday coming (I'm graduating), and I'm not sure which cpu is the best for this kind of heavy use (gaming while recording, video editing/rendering, gaming while recording while uploading, or video editing while recording. yeah ._.)
it really does seem that xeon would be best, since I'm not gonna over clock or anything. but I'm still not quite sure since i haven't really got a grasp on this whole hyper thread thingy that xeon has over the i7
m
0
l
April 9, 2014 7:59:36 AM

CTurbo said:
The 4770 is a great cpu, it's just not a great value. The Xeon e3-1230v3 offers 99% of the performance of the 4770, but it's $65 cheaper. Is 100mhz/200mhz worth $65 to you? You'll never ever notice the difference.


I try to help people get the most for their money.


sorry man I'm not trying to disregard your opinion, it is really appreciated, honest! I'm starting to think of getting the xeon instead. just need to know more about it (the advantages it has over the i7 other than the price). also about the motherboard, not really sure whats the best for the xeon 1230 v3. and I'm not even sure all the parts I've chosen (other than the motherboard since thats still blank) will be compatible with it or not
m
0
l
April 9, 2014 8:18:35 AM

The e3 1230v3 and i7 4770 are almost exactly the same. They are both quad cores with hyperthreading. They both have turbo. They both have the same amount of cache. They use the same exact motherboards. Any LGA1150 motherboard will work.

The only differences between the two are

-The Xeon does not have integrated graphics.
-The Xeon uses less power and runs slightly cooler.
-The Xeon is clocked 100mhz/200mhz lower
-The Xeon supports but does not require ECC RAM
-The Xeon has a few more instruction sets like FMA3, EM64T, and F16C
m
0
l
April 9, 2014 8:21:21 AM

CTurbo said:
The 4770 is a great cpu, it's just not a great value. The Xeon e3-1230v3 offers 99% of the performance of the 4770, but it's $65 cheaper. Is 100mhz/200mhz worth $65 to you? You'll never ever notice the difference.


I try to help people get the most for their money.


You certainly will notice the difference between a Xeon at 3.2 and 4770k at 4.5 if overclocked in video editing/rendering. For gaming, almost no difference, but Photoshop and Vegas Pro will certainly see a difference.

azkarthur said:
HiTechObsessed said:
The Xeon is essentially the same thing as the i7, as it has hyperthreading, and the decrease in 0.2 GHz clock speed is negligible.

However, if you're going with the Z87 board, I would get the 4770k, a good cooler, and overclock it as far as can go, as it will greatly help you for video editing/rendering.


hmm... i thought the i7 is much better... sorry man I'm not trying to disrespect your opinion or anything, its just that many said that i7 is better, and many also said that xeon is the better one. I'm going to leave the computer on for like 16 hours a day for the whole holiday coming (I'm graduating), and I'm not sure which cpu is the best for this kind of heavy use (gaming while recording, video editing/rendering, gaming while recording while uploading, or video editing while recording. yeah ._.)
it really does seem that xeon would be best, since I'm not gonna over clock or anything. but I'm still not quite sure since i haven't really got a grasp on this whole hyper thread thingy that xeon has over the i7


If you're not going to overclock the Xeon would be best. The Xeon and i7 both have hyperthreading. The difference is that the Xeon is geared more towards server use, and is more able to handle 24/7 operation under load. The price difference you see is the Xeon doesn't include the integrated graphics chip like the i7 does.

The Xeon/i7 have 4 physical cores, and 8 logical threads. What hyperthreading does, is set up an additional logical thread per core, and executes two threads per core. In applications like Photoshop and Sony Vegas, what this does is run thread 'A', and when that is done and it's searching for its next process, the core runs thread 'B' so as to not waste time waiting. It's really just a much more efficient way of utilizing processor power than normal, since there is little to no lag time.
m
0
l
April 9, 2014 8:29:00 AM

well, I'm gonna be using an ssd too, so i think xeon would work for me. reading all those stuff about over clocking breaking your pc is scary for me, so i guess xeon it is. would a z87 killer motherboard work, or is there a better one? and how about other components that i chose? will those work good, or, again, is there a better one?
sorry for taking all your time guys, you guys have been really helpful
m
0
l
April 9, 2014 9:09:02 AM

Overclocking won't break your PC, so long as you take the proper precautions. Most motherboards/power supplies these days have the necessary failsafes for that very reason. But I completely understand not wanting to have to deal with something like that!

The Z87 board will just be extra money spent for no real gain, unless you were planning on SLI in the future. An H87 board would save you some money, and do just as well. Something like below would be perfect for you. microATX is just fine, and gives you room for an extra PCI and PCIe expansion slot.

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/asrock-motherboard-h87mpro...
m
0
l
April 9, 2014 9:34:40 AM

HiTechObsessed said:
Overclocking won't break your PC, so long as you take the proper precautions. Most motherboards/power supplies these days have the necessary failsafes for that very reason. But I completely understand not wanting to have to deal with something like that!

The Z87 board will just be extra money spent for no real gain, unless you were planning on SLI in the future. An H87 board would save you some money, and do just as well. Something like below would be perfect for you. microATX is just fine, and gives you room for an extra PCI and PCIe expansion slot.

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/asrock-motherboard-h87mpro...


maybe i am going to do this SLI thingy since I'm not sure gtx 770 will cut out long term or not. i can replace it anytime if its outdated, but just to be safe.
buut, since I'm not going to do it in the near future, i think i'll just be using the other motherboard you recommend for now. H87 right? i believe i can change the motherboard if I'm planning on SLI, right?
m
0
l
April 9, 2014 9:46:08 AM

Definitely you can do that :)  The 770 is maxing out everything right now, and will be good for High/Ultra for at least a good while.
m
0
l
April 9, 2014 9:50:07 AM

HiTechObsessed said:
Definitely you can do that :)  The 770 is maxing out everything right now, and will be good for High/Ultra for at least a good while.


Processor : Xeon e3 1230 v3
Mainboard: asrock H87 KILLER
Hardisk : hitachi 1TB sata3
Memory (Ram) : Corsair CMZ8GX3M2A1600C8 (2 X 4GB)
DVD : RW 22X
Graphic (VGA) : geforce gtx 770
Casing : Cooler Master K282 GAMING CHASSIS SIDE WINDOW
power supply: 550w/650 superflower
ssd: Samsung SSD 840 EVO 120GB

you think this will do good for bf4 ultra setting while recording while... well, you know the rest ._. uploading video, and video editing etc... what do you think? anything more i should replace (if there is something not compatible with each other) or maybe change to a better one? maybe an extra fan, since I'm going to leave it on for like 16 hours a day?
m
0
l
April 9, 2014 10:00:54 AM

azkarthur said:
well, I'm gonna be using an ssd too, so i think xeon would work for me. reading all those stuff about over clocking breaking your pc is scary for me, so i guess xeon it is. would a z87 killer motherboard work, or is there a better one? and how about other components that i chose? will those work good, or, again, is there a better one?
sorry for taking all your time guys, you guys have been really helpful


I would get 4770k and Z87 motherboard just because after overclocking you'll see significant performance boost especially in video editing. I also don't know much about OC but I bought i5-4670k and Z87 motherboard to OC, I haven't OC'd yet because i5's performance is more than enough for me.
Also there are tons of videos in YouTube about "How To OC" and what you'll get after OC'ing
m
0
l
April 9, 2014 10:08:51 AM

azkarthur said:
HiTechObsessed said:
Definitely you can do that :)  The 770 is maxing out everything right now, and will be good for High/Ultra for at least a good while.


Processor : Xeon e3 1230 v3
Mainboard: asrock H87 KILLER
Hardisk : hitachi 1TB sata3
Memory (Ram) : Corsair CMZ8GX3M2A1600C8 (2 X 4GB)
DVD : RW 22X
Graphic (VGA) : geforce gtx 770
Casing : Cooler Master K282 GAMING CHASSIS SIDE WINDOW
power supply: 550w/650 superflower
ssd: Samsung SSD 840 EVO 120GB

you think this will do good for bf4 ultra setting while recording while... well, you know the rest ._. uploading video, and video editing etc... what do you think? anything more i should replace (if there is something not compatible with each other) or maybe change to a better one? maybe an extra fan, since I'm going to leave it on for like 16 hours a day?


Those are all great parts, and will do you fine. The only suggestion I still have regarding recording gameplay, is to make sure you have the game you're playing and he recording location set to different drives. Preferably, have the game you are playing on the SSD and set the recorder to record to the HDD for best performance.

An extra fan would be fine, though not necessary. An extra intake would help keep everything a little cooler though, and fans only cost around $10 for a decent one.
m
0
l
April 9, 2014 9:05:38 PM

HiTechObsessed said:
azkarthur said:
HiTechObsessed said:
Definitely you can do that :)  The 770 is maxing out everything right now, and will be good for High/Ultra for at least a good while.


Processor : Xeon e3 1230 v3
Mainboard: asrock H87 KILLER
Hardisk : hitachi 1TB sata3
Memory (Ram) : Corsair CMZ8GX3M2A1600C8 (2 X 4GB)
DVD : RW 22X
Graphic (VGA) : geforce gtx 770
Casing : Cooler Master K282 GAMING CHASSIS SIDE WINDOW
power supply: 550w/650 superflower
ssd: Samsung SSD 840 EVO 120GB

you think this will do good for bf4 ultra setting while recording while... well, you know the rest ._. uploading video, and video editing etc... what do you think? anything more i should replace (if there is something not compatible with each other) or maybe change to a better one? maybe an extra fan, since I'm going to leave it on for like 16 hours a day?


Those are all great parts, and will do you fine. The only suggestion I still have regarding recording gameplay, is to make sure you have the game you're playing and he recording location set to different drives. Preferably, have the game you are playing on the SSD and set the recorder to record to the HDD for best performance.

An extra fan would be fine, though not necessary. An extra intake would help keep everything a little cooler though, and fans only cost around $10 for a decent one.


is it better to arrange this ssd stuff manually or do that thing where the ssd will recognize which program you use the most and make a copy in it to make it faster automatically?
if manually, is 120gb enough for the os (ms7 64 bit), the editing program (photoshop cs6, adobe after effect, sony vegas pro), and the games? for the games, can i just move it to hdd after I'm done playing it, and move it to ssd again if i want to play it again?
oh and one more question, is it a good idea (if its even possible) to put the recording app on the ssd, but store the recorded gameplay in hdd?
I'm really sorry for asking too many questions!
m
0
l
April 10, 2014 6:23:58 AM

After Windows and all programs are installed (including Photoshop, After effects, Vegas Pro, etc), you'll be left with about 65GB or so on the SSD. This will be fine for a handful of games, as SSDs don't have the problem of longer seek times the more they get filled up.

But yes, you can definitely move the games from the SSD to HDD and vice-versa when needed, I use a tool called Steam Mover to do just that. Keep in mind, though, putting games on the SSD doesn't increase performance or anything, just load/transition times. If you're going to be recording gameplay, definitely have the game on the SSD and record to the harddrive, you don't want to record to the same hard drive you're playing from.
m
0
l
April 10, 2014 7:24:51 AM

HiTechObsessed said:
After Windows and all programs are installed (including Photoshop, After effects, Vegas Pro, etc), you'll be left with about 65GB or so on the SSD. This will be fine for a handful of games, as SSDs don't have the problem of longer seek times the more they get filled up.

But yes, you can definitely move the games from the SSD to HDD and vice-versa when needed, I use a tool called Steam Mover to do just that. Keep in mind, though, putting games on the SSD doesn't increase performance or anything, just load/transition times. If you're going to be recording gameplay, definitely have the game on the SSD and record to the harddrive, you don't want to record to the same hard drive you're playing from.


okay then, games will be on ssd, and the footage will be on the hdd. other games that I'm not playing anymore will just be stored at the hdd too. but how about the recording app? most likely i will be using dxtory. do i put it on the ssd, or the hdd with where the footage will be stored?
m
0
l
April 10, 2014 7:28:30 AM

I use a 120-128GB ssd for windows on all of my PCs. I typically run them at 33-40% full. I do not recommend keeping a ssd at over 80%. I keep windows and all programs on the ssd and all media and data on hard drives. I recommend getting at least 240-256GB if you want to put games on there even if temporarily.
m
0
l
April 10, 2014 7:32:35 AM

CTurbo said:
I use a 120-128GB ssd for windows on all of my PCs. I typically run them at 33-40% full. I do not recommend keeping a ssd at over 80%. I keep windows and all programs on the ssd and all media and data on hard drives. I recommend getting at least 240-256GB if you want to put games on there even if temporarily.


okay, maybe i'll just put the sony vegas, games, and windows there. the other cs6 thingy will be on the hdd, because i will be using sony vegas more often. how about the recording app? does putting it in the ssd makes it better? the footage recorded will still be stored at the hdd though
m
0
l
April 10, 2014 7:33:06 AM

For recording, just use Shadowplay on the 770. MUCH less overhead, and you can still record your audio as well. But if you want to use another program, you can put that where you want, it won't really matter. It'll be in RAM when used.
m
0
l
April 10, 2014 7:46:52 AM

HiTechObsessed said:
For recording, just use Shadowplay on the 770. MUCH less overhead, and you can still record your audio as well. But if you want to use another program, you can put that where you want, it won't really matter. It'll be in RAM when used.


shadowplay? I've heard about that, but what about the quality? i was planning to use dxtory, which one do you think is better in quality?
m
0
l
April 10, 2014 7:54:34 AM

Shadow is good quality, though has much less features built-in. Shadowplay comes free with it, so you can try both out. I just love how Shadowplay has a negligible impact on performance.
m
0
l
April 10, 2014 7:57:58 AM

HiTechObsessed said:
Shadow is good quality, though has much less features built-in. Shadowplay comes free with it, so you can try both out. I just love how Shadowplay has a negligible impact on performance.


ohh okay, but if i use dxtory where should i put it?
m
0
l
April 10, 2014 8:01:18 AM

Wherever is fine, it won't matter. I put all normal programs onto my SSD, just so they're all in the same place.
m
0
l
April 10, 2014 8:03:50 AM

All programs on ssd. Pagefile and all drivers on hard drive. Actually I always keep the drivers on both.
m
0
l
April 10, 2014 8:10:23 AM

okay thanks man, i'll just post my spec once again to make sure. and i will be using the settings you guys recommend

Processor : Xeon e3 1230 v3
Mainboard: asrock H87 KILLER
Hardisk : hitachi 1TB sata3
Memory (Ram) : Corsair CMZ8GX3M2A1600C8 (2 X 4GB)
DVD : RW 22X
Graphic (VGA) : geforce gtx 770
Casing : CMSTROM Scout II Gun metal
power supply: 650 superflower
ssd: Samsung SSD 840 EVO 120GB
m
0
l
April 10, 2014 8:14:21 AM

Everything looks good :)  Gonna be a nice build!

CTurbo, why would you not keep all your drivers on the SSD?
m
0
l
April 10, 2014 8:15:42 AM

HiTechObsessed said:
Everything looks good :)  Gonna be a nice build!

CTurbo, why would you not keep all your drivers on the SSD?


sorry for barging in, but what are drivers?
m
0
l
April 10, 2014 8:16:19 AM

Yes that would be a great build! Wow I haven't seen a Super Flower psu in years! Just make sure you get the v3 Xeon and not the v2.
m
0
l
April 10, 2014 8:20:22 AM

For if I ever want to re-install windows, I will already have all of the drivers available.
m
0
l
April 10, 2014 8:24:28 AM

Huh, never thought of that. That's genius! I hate reinstalling the damn drivers... lol
m
0
l
April 10, 2014 8:26:48 AM

i dont get it ._. whats a driver and whats with this reinstalling thingy? is it something i will be doing in the near time if i build a pc?
m
0
l
April 10, 2014 8:31:36 AM

Every piece of hardware in a computer needs a "driver" or utility program in order to function. You have to find and download some of them manually, or you can just get the wifi driver installed and then make windows do all of the rest of the work for you(even though windows always misses some). It's best to go straight to your motherboard's manufacture page and download the driver pack for your specific motherboard.


When you install or re-install windows, you will be missing all of the drivers needed to make the PC run like it's supposed to. Things like wifi, sound, video, webcam, mic, USB 3.0, PCI, and many more will need to have an up-to-date driver installed before they will work.
m
0
l
!