Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Changing MAC address of usb wireless adapter

Last response: in Wireless Networking
Share
April 8, 2014 7:46:13 AM

Hello,
I have TP-LINK tl-wn321g USB wireless adapter.
My question is :
Can I change somehow the MAC address of my wireless manually? I tried from the Device manager -> the wireless adapter -> advanced : but there is no option to change it how I did with my network card .
I need this because the router on which I need to connect has a MAC address restriction so I need to put the MAC address given to me by my ISP into my wireless.

I would be very grateful if you can help!

More about : changing mac address usb wireless adapter

a b F Wireless
April 8, 2014 7:52:00 AM

You can't change it in the router? Tell the router to point to a different MAC address?
m
0
l
April 8, 2014 7:53:58 AM

The MAC address is hard-coded by the manufacturer.
m
0
l
Related resources
April 8, 2014 8:28:57 AM

USAFRet said:
You can't change it in the router? Tell the router to point to a different MAC address?


The router isn't mine , I don't have access to do this.
m
0
l
a b F Wireless
April 8, 2014 8:46:37 AM

So if I'm getting this right:

The router will only talk to one and only one MAC address.
Said MAC address being set up by the ISP.

Then you'll have to get with them to change what device (MAC address) it talks to.
m
0
l
April 8, 2014 1:42:17 PM

USAFRet said:
So if I'm getting this right:

The router will only talk to one and only one MAC address.
Said MAC address being set up by the ISP.

Then you'll have to get with them to change what device (MAC address) it talks to.


They told me to I buy new usb wireless adapter because mine is out of use.
I'm really disappointed that there is no way to change the MAC address of the device.
I asked the manufacturer( tp-link) but they are not supporting their forum..
m
0
l
a b F Wireless
April 8, 2014 2:00:22 PM

kristiqn1104 said:
USAFRet said:
So if I'm getting this right:

The router will only talk to one and only one MAC address.
Said MAC address being set up by the ISP.

Then you'll have to get with them to change what device (MAC address) it talks to.


They told me to I buy new usb wireless adapter because mine is out of use.
I'm really disappointed that there is no way to change the MAC address of the device.
I asked the manufacturer( tp-link) but they are not supporting their forum..


On that device, the MAC address is burned into the chip. You can't change it.
m
0
l
a c 128 F Wireless
April 8, 2014 6:38:31 PM

kristiqn1104 said:

They told me to I buy new usb wireless adapter because mine is out of use.
.


This is actually something different. The USB card you have is a older 802.11g. They may have decided to only support 802.11n cards. This is not a mac address thing it is the type of radio chip inside the unit.

The only reason you can not change the mac address is microsoft is preventing it. If you were to run the same device under a linux OS you could change the mac.

Still I can't believe it is a mac restriction. Most times you would get a mac locked out because that particular card was detected violating some policy.

m
0
l
April 9, 2014 12:47:20 AM

bill001g said:
kristiqn1104 said:

They told me to I buy new usb wireless adapter because mine is out of use.
.


This is actually something different. The USB card you have is a older 802.11g. They may have decided to only support 802.11n cards. This is not a mac address thing it is the type of radio chip inside the unit.

The only reason you can not change the mac address is microsoft is preventing it. If you were to run the same device under a linux OS you could change the mac.

Still I can't believe it is a mac restriction. Most times you would get a mac locked out because that particular card was detected violating some policy.


Can you give me advices how can I change it from Linux? Do I need specific application?
m
0
l

Best solution

a c 128 F Wireless
April 9, 2014 4:39:54 AM

You can try the simple
ifconfig wlan0 ether hw xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx

It works on may devices. Others there is a program called macchanger.

There likely is a gui screen that you can change this also but since this varies between linux distributions I never can find it.
Share
!