fx 8320 high temperatures!

roku

Honorable
Nov 15, 2013
My fx 8320 reaches 65c when playing games like metro last light I Am using Stock Cooling and my cabinet is cm elite 431 plus..i feel it has decent airflow..is there any way to control these temps without an aftermarket cooler?

Solution
Is it at stock? You can lower the temperatures by disabling Turbo frequencies is the bios or at least lowering them, but single threaded performance will take a hit. Even an expensive cooler like the Hyper 212 EVO will make a big difference in temperatures though.

AnEwG

Honorable
Dec 31, 2013
Is it at stock? You can lower the temperatures by disabling Turbo frequencies is the bios or at least lowering them, but single threaded performance will take a hit. Even an expensive cooler like the Hyper 212 EVO will make a big difference in temperatures though.

Solution

roku

Honorable
Nov 15, 2013

Sorry newbie here: using asus's epu tech i've already set the cpu at max saving that does lower the voltages doesnt it? or am i looking for even lower voltages?

Short answer = No.

The stock cooler is barely adequate and hitting 60-65c is normal. Throttling it back or disabling cores is a waste of an 8 core CPU.

The good news is you don't need to spend a lot to get good cooling. A Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO or Xigmatek Gaia will perform well and only cost arounnd $30. Just wait until one of them goes on sale.