FX-8350 overheating problems - do I need to RMA?

solistus

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2009
I upgraded to an AMD FX-8350 a Corsair H80i liquid cooler back in January. At first, it worked great - the CPU barely broke 60 in a stress test at a mild OC (4.4), and it would idle within a few degrees of the ambient temperature in the room.

After a couple months, I started having serious overheating problems. I didn't realize what was happening at first when I started getting unexpected shutdowns - I thought maybe a bad driver was causing it - until I happened to notice my CPU temperature hit 80 a couple minutes after restarting and trying to play a game. By turning the fans on my H80i radiator block to max speed at all times and underclocking/undervolting as much as I can (can't seem to undervolt below 1.2875 (-0.1) without stability issues, but I'm currently underclocked all the way down to 2.7), and it still idles at 40, hits the 50s while browsing CPU-heavy websites like Facebook, and struggles to stay at *70* while gaming!

The only components that are getting unreasonably hot are the CPU and the northbridge. I've thoroughly cleaned all my fans and the radiator for my H80i, and verified that all my fans are working normally. The voltages coming from my PSU appear to be accurate and stable (although I've only verified this with software, not a multimeter). I've cleaned off and re-applied the thermal paste and reseated the CPU and cooling block multiple times to make sure that wasn't the issue. The thermals definitely look like the CPU is just putting out way too much heat - the CPU temperature spikes up and then goes quickly back down a bit, then jumps around as the CPU load fluctuates (now that I'm underclocked enough that it doesn't just overheat and shut down my system entirely), the cooling block spikes up and stays hot until the CPU is idle again, then quickly cools off, and the northbridge heats up more slowly after the CPU does, then slowly drops down when the CPU stays idle. Basically, it seems like the CPU is putting out too much heat, the problem gets much worse at higher clockspeeds, voltages, and CPU loads, and the liquid cooler is pulling heat off as fast as it can but still can't keep the CPU cool enough at stock settings.

I'm pretty sure it must be the CPU itself, but I've never had to RMA a CPU before so I wanted to make sure I'm not missing some other potential cause. If I do need to RMA it, is AMD going to tell me tough luck because I've changed the CPU multiplier and voided my warranty? Assuming I should RMA it, and at least have a chance of getting a replacement, can anyone recommend a place to buy a temporary replacement CPU that I could return open box if and when my replacement arrives? I don't have my old CPU anymore, and I can't really go for weeks without a usable desktop.

Solution
ok. assuming you've put the cpu cooler on right, and clr_cmos doesn't work, we need to be certain about 2 things.

1) Temp issue in the case
2) h80i working properly.

we'll test the first by poping the side of your case off and sticking a room fan in the openning. tell me what happens to the cpu temps then.

if that doesn't help...

pull the corsair h80i off, and stick the stock cooler back on. tell me how the temps are.
sounds like the h80i's pump isn't working or you put it on wrong.

Check the pump's rpms in the software corsair provided to make sure it's running at 2000rpm. Also adjust the fan/pump curve to hit max at 60C on cpu temps.

As for putting it on right... we'll get to that if the pump is working propperly.

solistus

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2009
Corsair Link says the pump is running at 2200rpm. As for putting it on right - the cooling block is mounted to the CPU with a thin layer of Arctic Silver, with the Corsair logo upright, and firmly clipped to the bracket on the mobo. The radiator is mounted between two 120mm intake fans on the rear case port, with a 140mm top exhaust fan. The pump always runs at full RPM, and I've had the fans always running full speed since I started having these problems.

ok. first you're going to take the pump off the cpu.

next, clean both the bottom of the pump and the top of the chip with rubbing alcohol and qtips. first visually inspect the thermal paste, if it's running over the sides of the chip, you put too much on, and it if doesn't cover most of the chips surface (some blank spots at the corners is alright) then you put too little.

Once both surfaces are polished to a shine (with a microfiber cloth) put a drop about the size of a green pea in the middle of the cpu surface. Set the cooler down ontop of the cpu, twist it gently side to side. Now pick it up and examine the spread of the paste. Make sure its spread as i explained prior... not too much, not too little... If you got it wrong, repeat cleaning it off and try another amount. keep trying till you get it right.

Once you get it right. clean off the surfaces till they shine like a mirror, and apply the paste like the time you got it right. Set the cooler down, twist it carefully from side to side, a 90 degree turn in each direction while applying a little force on the cooler. then secure the cooler without lifting or rocking the cooler. IF YOU LIFT OR ROCK it you'll need to clean it up and try again. Make sure it's on tight, so the whole unit feels solid.

Let me know what happens to the temps.

If the temps are still high, I also want you to clr_cmos on your motherboard. and leave everything at stock settings. let me know what happens to the temps then.

solistus

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2009
I cleaned off and re-applied thermal paste several times when this issue first started happening. I managed to drop temperatures maybe 2-3C under load, but still far too hot to run at stock. It will pass 80C within a minute under load and trigger a hardware shutdown if I let it continue.

I've had to clear CMOS a couple times already when I was testing undervolts. My motherboard settings are all stock except turning off turbo core and cranking down the CPU multiplier. I'm undervolting through AMD Overdrive, since it seems to override mobo settings anyway and defaults back to 1.3875 on boot. I have it at 1.2875, which helps significantly with the heat issue, and is as low as I was able to go without stability issues.

ok. assuming you've put the cpu cooler on right, and clr_cmos doesn't work, we need to be certain about 2 things.

1) Temp issue in the case
2) h80i working properly.

we'll test the first by poping the side of your case off and sticking a room fan in the openning. tell me what happens to the cpu temps then.

if that doesn't help...

pull the corsair h80i off, and stick the stock cooler back on. tell me how the temps are.

Solution

solistus

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2009
I actually don't have a room fan, but I don't think airflow is the problem. I have three 120mm intake fans and a 140mm exhaust fan. My HDDs/SSDs and the mobo heat sensors other than the northbridge all stay below 40 even when my CPU is going berserk, and my GPU idles in the mid-30s. Taking off the side of my case doesn't have any effect on thermals, and the air in the case doesn't feel warm.

I'll see if I can find the stock cooler to test that, so I can be sure whether or not the H80i is working properly. I'm sitting at 51C right now with CPU load in the 0-10% range, underclocked and undervolted, so if the problem is the cooler then it should be pretty obvious when I test another one.

solistus

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2009
Nope. I can't hear any noise from the pump, unless it sounds a lot like a case fan - even with the fans on low, where they're quieter than my ceiling fan, I can't hear any sounds in the case that don't sound like a fan. I think I can feel the liquid moving through the tubes, but it's hard to say since they're attached to a radiator in between two fans that are always running when the pump is. One tube gets very warm to the touch and the other stays cool, so I assume that means at least some liquid coolant is circulating and getting cooled off.

Still looking for an air cooler to test with. I know I have one somewhere.

solistus

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2009
Welp, you were right ingtar - it's the H80i. Back on the stock cooler, without even having a back case fan (I don't have the proper screws to mount any of the fans I have lying around), it's back to idling in the low 30s and topping out in the high 60s for a stress test. That's back at stock settings and with turbo core on. I sent a message to Corsair support asking if there are any additional steps I can take to try and get it working or if I need to RMA it. Thanks for your help!

corsair's customer service is top notch... so you should get a replacement unit pretty quick. :) glad we could help you find the problem. Sounds like something was blocking the coolent flow to your radiator... that or the pump propeller broke (and not the engine)... either way your cpu cooler was certainly behaving like a water cooler with no waterflow.