Does anyone know, for sure, of an 802.11ac router that definitely bridges to a WPA2 Enterprise network?

johnm719

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2011
I need a unit that will BRIDGE using WPA2 Enterprise. This Asus RT-AC68U AC1900 is advertised to do this but I bought one and it does NOT. I have spoken to Asus support multiple times (after each firmware update) and they keep saying it will be in the next firmware rev, but as of today 4/9/2014, and after several firmware rev's, it is still NOT supported. While I have found their support to usually be pretty good, they will not promise anything. VERY disappointing. Does anyone know, for sure, of an 802.11ac router that definitely really does support bridging to a WPA2 Enterprise network?

Solution
Lets just say there better not be a way.

802.1x is based on the theory that only a single user may connect on a wireless connection. By definition only a end device may act as a supplicant.

If you create a device that can spoof this it completely destroys the security of 802.1x.

Still even if you tried it is likely it would only partially work in the simplest configurations. You would have to be using it with simple radius userid/password and then set the password to not expire ever for that userid. This would in effect log all the other machines behind the bridge on as that user id and allow them all access with no authentication at all.

There would be no way to have a device act as a supplicant when you used certificate...
Lets just say there better not be a way.

802.1x is based on the theory that only a single user may connect on a wireless connection. By definition only a end device may act as a supplicant.

If you create a device that can spoof this it completely destroys the security of 802.1x.

Still even if you tried it is likely it would only partially work in the simplest configurations. You would have to be using it with simple radius userid/password and then set the password to not expire ever for that userid. This would in effect log all the other machines behind the bridge on as that user id and allow them all access with no authentication at all.

There would be no way to have a device act as a supplicant when you used certificate based authentication or if you use token based one time passwords.

The end device would also have to run in NAT mode since WDS is also a violation of 802.1x

Solution