FX 8350 vs i5 4670K for video editing/rendering/some gaming/3d graphics

nonni123

Reputable
Mar 2, 2014
So, Im about to build myself a brand new rig, mostly for video editing (Videostudio Pro X6 atm, probably the adobe suite later on) and my question is, would the raw amount of cores of the 8350 combined with something like an Asus Sabertooth 900FX mobo, good all in one liquid cooler and some overclocking benefit me from ''only'' 4 cores on the i5? Like the title says,mostly editing/rendering but also some 3d graphics and some gaiming (I say some, because I already have a PS4 and Im loving it) :ange:
Thanks in advance :D

s4in7

Honorable
Feb 14, 2014
For photo and video editing, along with some occasional gaming, I'd strongly consider the 8350 (or even the 8320 as they are all the same chip and can overclock easily) as those editing programs are highly multi-threaded and that's where the FX-8XXX really shines.

The i5 is a little faster in Photoshop operations and a little faster in gaming, but the FX-8XXX is a beast when it comes to video editing and 3D graphics rendering.

Either CPU would be great for you purpose, but I think the edge goes to the 8350 for it's video and 3D editing and rendering prowess.

You can see here that the 8350 is faster than the i5 in multi-threaded 3D rendering.

nonni123

Reputable
Mar 2, 2014
wow, thanks for the quick replies :) so should i go with the 8350 and a 770, combining the 8 cores of the 8350 with the 1536 cuda cores of the 770 for some baws rendering performance (Videostudio Pro X6 does support cuda, just checked it)

Francisco Costa

Honorable
Nov 16, 2013

Yeah, I really like my GTX 770, it's a beast.

$230-$170= $60 "is a massive difference"?????????

Wow I am sorry but that is a terrible standard for 'difference' I seen many AMD Fans toss around. $60 comes down to working 1 extra work day ($8 per hr minimum wage job x 8 hours = 64) LOL! Seriously folks, when you look at the 'old' forum discussions about AMD "is cheaper" then Intel, what we talked about was $170 AMD vs a i5 $499 just released chipset CPU or the newest i7 costing $1200 (more than many laptops).

If $60 is that much of a 'massive difference' for you, then don't bother on the PC side, stick to the consoles (PS3/Xbox360 only $149) and never worry about paying anything again for it for the next 10 years (how many years the PS3/Xbox360 released till today and STILL in use).

nonni123

Reputable
Mar 2, 2014

well those 60$ you could allocate to a nice cpu cooler, overclock the 8350 and get much more perforance,I think atleast, correct me if im wrong on this one

Francisco Costa

Honorable
Nov 16, 2013

Calm your hormones. As you can see, I have an Intel i5 4670k, but right now, due to the difference of prices between the two, I just think the 8350 is the best choice overall. A few days ago, when the i5 was $190, it was the best choice but now it is the 8350. And yes, nonni123, you can get a nice CPU cooler (although $30 should suffice for a Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO, for example) or an upgrade on any other part, like the GPU or the PSU with the extra $60.

Judging from your language, you are the biggest fanboy in here (9 question marks is a bit excessive).

Putting things to perspective, if the AMD costs 170$, and the Intel costs 60 bucks more, that means the Intel costs about 35% more. However, the two CPUs are pretty much equal in multithreaded tasks and the Intel one only shines in applications that use less cores. No rendering/editing software is like that. Technically there's a difference in gaming, but if the FX-8350 can get over 90 fps (probably even more) in games like BF4, it might not be worth it.

TL;DR: If you want to spend more money one the i5-4670k, that's your choice, but don't come here spouting things about fanboys and then acting like that yourself.

Francisco Costa

Honorable
Nov 16, 2013

Thank you. I'm not a fanboy on neither side. I have a 4670k, but I can defend the other side if prices justify it.

Lessthannil

Honorable
Oct 14, 2013
If you just get a Xeon E3-1230 V3, skip the AIO cooler, and get a H87 motherboard, you will have a more cost effective solution than the 8350 one in the OP or a theoretical 4670K OC solution.

Also, guys, he's buying a 8350, a Sabertooth, and a CLC cooler. $60 isn't that huge of a difference because those parts alone probably cost around $450.

Yeah, the E3-1230 is a beast for the price. You won't need a H87 mobo with that though, a B85 will do.

Well the only thing I would first correct on was the 'Cores' argument. More physical cores is good but when you go above 3 or 4, the problem is (and reason why AMD falls behind Intel with HALF as many 'cores') how the Cores get in each other way. Think of it this way, if you lifted a set of bricks from one place to another your a Single Core PC. Adding another worker (Dual Core) you can do twice the work and speed up the process. If you add more workers (TriCore, QuadCore), and step back you will tend to notice some workers (cores) are waiting for the other workers to get 'out of the way' so they can 'grab a brick' (grab data from memory) or 'drop a brick' (pass the processed data to the component -Sound, GPU, etc.- to 'do' what the data needs to do) and turn around to go back and get another. This is called THREADING, or how the Cores request data, then pass data; there is a quick point where you will see one core or more doing more work then the other cores, and basically get 'in the way'.

AMD decided 'more cores good' concept, Intel decided 'better threading good' concept with Hyperthreading. What results is (for normal using PC applications and for gaming - the 95% use of PCs) less core Intel processors outperform AMD systems with TWICE the number of physical cores. So while the FX-8xxx has 8 Cores, a i7 with 4 Cores but 4 HyperThread virtual cores performance TWICE the amount of performance then a FX-8xxx (and why every GPU benchmark you see tests with i7 not FX-8 and why every benchmark test ALWAYS has the i7s at the top).

If we drop down to a i5 (as your comparing), then you would think much 'less' performance out of the i5 then the FX-8, BUT what has happened until Haswell (i5-4xxx) is they were Either / OR (either i5 or FX-8) as 'about' the same performance. NOW with the Haswell line, it is i3 VS FX-8 then i5 then i7 repeatedly in the current benchmarks. AMD has decided (2013-2014) NOT to persue competing against Haswell and has completely shifted focus to the 90% other marketspace of the 'common user' needing a "low power, low COST, LOW DEMAND" answer, which they now push the APU line to address. As the FX -8xxx is the only real 'competition' to the low-medium level Intel line, AND any new AMD processor will use a new motherboard / CPU design (see the APUs) which will be INCOMPATIBLE with the FX-xxxx line requiring a Mobo AND CPU replacement, the FX-8xxx does not seem the best solution anymore as it is a 'dead end' when you think about both things.

That said, I would like to correct your thought process about worrying on the CPU for " video editing (Videostudio Pro X6 atm, probably the adobe suite later on) ". The CPU will not be the MOST important thing you should be considering. While yes a i5 can do video editing, by Intel's own admission a i7 is much better suited for it (more CPU / Thread cores better processing / coding of video). The real issues come from amount of RAM and buying a 'Gaming GPU' than a Workstation GPU. These are MUCH different. 8GB of RAM (common PC) is nothing in Video Editing, and 16GB is the "bare minimum", while commonly 32GB is used with many Amatuer - Pros going with 64GB to as high end as 256GB systems on specialized motherboards to handle those RAM needs.

In Video Editing it renders / encodes along with Audio editing / encoding into the outputted file / stream is completely opposite to a Video Game 'Rendering' to a screen for Frames Per Second performance. Video Editing / Rendering takes time, and a Gamer's GPU (the common consumer cards you see) are not designed to do those tasks, but Workstation GPUs like the Quadro (search Tom's Hardware Forum for Workstation and you will see many threads showing you typical and PRO setups) to do the rendering and encoding cuts the time to minutes and a couple hours then for Gaming GPU which can actually take days to render a Video. Conversely while a Workstation GPU is powerful it isn't built for FPS performance, and commonly (see again the forum threads) will performs almost half as well as a equal Gamer's GPU in gaming (say 90FPS in BF4 on a Titan, a Quadro would do 45 for rough example). So you really need to quantify your expectations and decide which is a priority, Video Editing or Gaming, then buy appropriately - is Frames Per Second more important then the HOURS / DAYS to Encode/Render a 20 minute Video?

If your looking for build suggestions numerous Workstation threads are on here with common builds, but the normal price range for Gamer's Desktops is around $1000 or more (typically a i7, 8GB, SSD, 1TB, etc.) but Video Editors START at $2500 upwards (typically either i7s or XEONs, 32GB, 512GB SSD, 4TB, etc.).

nonni123

Reputable
Mar 2, 2014

I dont see myself needing 32gb ram etc. because all im doing is just some fairly simple video editing for youtube :D but thank you very uch for that answer, i think ill go with the xeon 1230 v3

Lessthannil

Honorable
Oct 14, 2013
if its simple video editing then I think you should go with a cheaper 8320 platform (Say 8320, ASUS M5A99X EVO R2.0, and a 212 EVO) A Xeon E3-1230 V3 platform would still be more expensive than a 8320 one so I would only really get the Xeon one if you are doing this video editing and rendering professionally. This is not to say the 8320 is bad, however.

nonni123

Reputable
Mar 2, 2014

yeah, looked at some h87 boards, didnt seem to find one with sata 6gb/s ports :??:

vmN

Honorable
Oct 27, 2013

No. It is because what AMD and Intel define as a core is different, and what is inside them can vary.
Haswell for an example have 4 ALU per core, meaning piledriver have 4 ALU per module(2 per core).
Meaning in single-threaded application Haswell essestially have 2 extra ALUs to work.
Cores getting in the way of eachother happends to all architectures, only certain task can be stretch to an infinity amount of cores without "getting" in the way of each other. (rendering as an example)

Cores been memoryhungry is certainly one issue with piledriver, but not the greatest. Threading is essentially something completely different than what you descriped. (unless ofc I missunderstood something)

See my first comment. Also there is nothing as virtual cores. There is threads, and that is it.

I3s aren't competing with fx 8xxx, they are basically competing with fx 6xxx. The i5s are currently competing with the fx 8xxx.
I believe AMD already decided back when finishing bulldozer, that it would be their last HEDT (For a certain time ofc, hopefully)

AMD is looking for a new area to explorer, where they stand a bigger chance to compete against intel. AMD is excellent to produce APUs with an exclusiv IGP for a lower pricepoint, and that is were they are aiming their resources at.

You are totally overestimating how much memory needs to be in use.
Editing itself isn't the huge memory-hungry beast, rendering it all is.
Rendering is requiring as much memory as possible. (16GB is more than fine for the general consumer).

The card themselfs are pretty similar, it is more the drivers and which kind of SIMD they have.
You certianly wont be using days to render a 20min movie, unless it is a very special movie in some crazy high format or some shit.
Once again you have overestimated the power of a workstation card. Lower-end workstation cards (Prices similar to high-end "gamer"-GPUs) Generally have worse performance than a high-end gaming GPU.

s4in7

Honorable
Feb 14, 2014
Lord knows I've dreamt about it. I've built with AMD, Intel, ATI, & Nvidia and can see the merits of all--just because I have an FX-8320 and 270Xs in my rig right now doesn't mean I have to hate Intel and Nvidia!

As I said in my first post, the i5 is demonstrably better. The Xeons won't give much of a performance boost, they are generally designed for longevity.

The i5 is faster.

The FX-8350 is designed for gaming. If you are not gaming, you will get better daily use out of the i5. If you are going to spend the extra, just go with the i7 4770k.