Sign in with
Your question
Solved

~£350 First Watercooling Loop - Help please!

Last response: in Components
April 10, 2014 5:41:44 AM

Hi guys,
For my first build I want to do a custom water loop, covering my CPU (i5 4670k) and my GPU (EVGA GTX 780 Ti Hydro Copper).

I've come to you smart guys to help me choose which parts to get, as I have no idea what I can fit inside my case (Corsair Air 540) and what will be the best inside my budget of £350.

I would like two 240mm 30mm thick rads (one on front intake and one on top), both in push/pull.
As for the rest, I'm really not too sure what will be suitable for the build.

Hopefully you can help me out :D 

Thanks

More about : 350 watercooling loop

April 10, 2014 6:45:02 AM

Why spend that much when you could just get a large air cooler and it would work fine. It's not like these processors are pumping out 200 watts of heat these days.
m
l
April 10, 2014 6:47:27 AM

Hi, thanks for the response.
I want to be able to overclock the CPU and GPU to as much as I can, as I won't be upgrading for many years after this.
m
l
Related resources
April 10, 2014 10:26:20 AM

The Corsair Air 540 can fit a 360mm in the front, however if you plan to overclock it then a 280 and 240mm Radiator would be a good option.
Do you have the case already?
m
l
April 10, 2014 10:31:15 AM

Raycorrupt said:
Hi, thanks for the response.
I want to be able to overclock the CPU and GPU to as much as I can, as I won't be upgrading for many years after this.

But you can probably hit 4.4 on air if you are lucky, so that MAY turn in to 4.5 or 4.6 on water... which is only about a 2-3% difference. It might not even be that measurable in many benchmarks.

For that you may as well use a stock cooler and just get a better processor instead of spending an insane amount on cooling. That's even assuming you get any more performance out of water cooling over the air cooling, some chips you won't even see a difference between the two.

You could also but that cash aside and in 3 years buy the then current £350 video card... and you'd end up with a way faster machine than spending that much on water cooling. Since your CPU will probably last 4-5 years without an upgrade anyway and you might just want to spruce up the graphics a bit for new games that come out.

That cash could start a cycle of every 5 years, about half way you upgrade your video and the other half you upgrade your MB/CPU combo.
m
l
April 10, 2014 11:34:26 AM

Thanks for your responses. I want to get do a custom loop to cool the graphics card too, which is the EVGA GTX 780 Ti Classified Hydro Copper.
I do not have the case yet.
PsychoGamingLemon, your suggestion sounds good, how thick will the rads have to be to fit in?
Traciatim, I am not only looking for higher clock speeds on just the CPU, but also on the GPU, and good temps for both. I'm not too sure what you mean by: "You could also but that cash aside and in 3 years buy the then current £350 video card", as I have already included in a good GPU.

Any tips on which reservoir and pump is best for the Air 540? How about a bay/res combo?
Thanks
m
l
April 10, 2014 12:47:04 PM

Thanks for your suggestion, but I'm looking for something a bit better than that.
Do you know if a tube reservoir/pump combo will be able to be placed behind the motherboard tray? Are there mounting holes for it?
m
l

Best solution

April 10, 2014 12:49:49 PM

There are no mounting holes, but search "Watercooled air 540" on Google images and you will get a lot of photo's of others builds :) 
You can hide it in the second part, some UN holders should help with this or you can use a Bay res.
April 10, 2014 1:07:34 PM

Okay thanks :)  I'll do some more looking around
m
l
April 10, 2014 3:08:23 PM

That's okay, as long as the Outlet is at facing the bottom of the case you should be fine.
Also, dual loops might be and idea to help the Temps stay low.
PM me if you need anymore help :) 
m
l
!