Should I get an fx 8350 or wait?

Valeras

Reputable
Mar 13, 2014
My current specs are as follows:
CPU: AMD Phenom II x4 970 Black Edition Deneb (not overclocked)
GPU: XFX Radeon HD 6950 (not overclocked)
RAM: 8 gb
PSU: 600W

my pc has performed well for a long time but lately, it seems I can't run some games on max settings at a decent frame rate. I have enough money now to get a GTX 780 and an AMD FX 8350 (which fits my current motherboard). If I wait a year, I'd be able to get an Intel Core i7 4930k (and the new motherboard I'd need to support it). The Watch Dogs PC requirements just came out (which suggests 8 cores), which pretty much solidified my decision in upgrading my rig.

I heard AMD is abandoning their fx line so I'm worried that if I buy it now, I'd regret it in the near future if it becomes obsolete soon. I've also heard that Intel changes their sockets all the time unlike AMD, so upgrading with them would be more expensive because I'd have to buy a new motherboard every time.

All I do is game. No rendering or anything, purely pc gaming. That said, is the i7 4930k overkill for me? Would I be better off getting something like an i5 4670k? Would the i7 provide a significant boost in gaming performance over the i5 now or in the future, if games start using more cores as a standard? Basically, I want to future proof my cpu as much as possible.

What would you do in my situation?

EDIT: I think I'm just going to be patient and wait it out until I can get more money. I probably won't be able to run Watch Dogs at max but it's a bit ridiculous to do a full expensive upgrade for one game anyway. Will save for an i5 or i7 for future games that'll require more cores.

Solution
Save your money: As most gaming is currently based in the first core there is little point to buying the 8-core AMD CPU when the FX 6300 is very nearly equal to and sometime better than the 8-core CPUs. However, many Steam games, for example, will need many more cores within the next year according to the forums. If you can wait for the i7 do it. The performance will be far superior to the any current 6- or 8-core AMD CPU.

logainofhades

Titan
I would suggest a Xeon 1230 v3. It is an i7 without the IGP for a good deal less. It would meet your concerns with regards to Watch Dogs requirements. You could easily sell your current CPU and Board to help with the costs. A 4930k would be overkill.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1230 V3 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor ($244.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: ASRock B85 Pro4 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($64.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $309.97
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-04-10 14:32 EDT-0400)

Frana1965

Honorable
Jan 18, 2014
Save your money: As most gaming is currently based in the first core there is little point to buying the 8-core AMD CPU when the FX 6300 is very nearly equal to and sometime better than the 8-core CPUs. However, many Steam games, for example, will need many more cores within the next year according to the forums. If you can wait for the i7 do it. The performance will be far superior to the any current 6- or 8-core AMD CPU.

Solution
however, you need to take into account your budget, if you can afford a 780 and get a free 8350, you will most likely have to upgrade your mobo aswell, unless you are running your phenom in a new board. you will get higher performance with a 8350 and a 780 than i5 4670k/i7 equivalent and a 770. btw, how are you getting a free 8350? is a friend giving it to you?