Solved

Need help building a gaming PC!

Hi! :)

I would like to build a gaming PC for around $550. I plan on streaming so it needs to be able to multitask well. I play mostly WoW and would like it to run at a solid 60fps on at least medium settings while streaming. If it can run other games like Battlefield 4 with 60fps on medium that'd be cool too. (I prefer fps over graphics.)

If it isn't asking for too much, could someone please create a build for me? I don't know much about building computers and there are so many parts it gets confusing. I would greatly appreciate any help! Thank you!
29 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about building gaming
  1. You from Canada or the US of A?
  2. Go with AMD for the CPU. They are pretty good, and they are cheaper than Intel.
  3. What makes Intel better than AMD?

    Edit: Just heard people say they're better.
  4. erple said:
    What makes Intel better than AMD?


    Intel has been a step ahead for a few years, with your budget you don't have much choice in the matter.

    I'll recommend some parts. However, I'd suggest possibly looking at something used. You could find something about a year old that would crush anything brand new for $550.
  5. Nice, that'd be awesome. I'm usually not a fan of buying things used, but if it's better for the price I'd be down. The only thing I'm concerned with is the durability of a used part.
  6. I am putting together a build on pcpartpicker.com for you.

    Should be done pretty soon...
  7. wolverine96 said:
    I am putting together a build on pcpartpicker.com for you.

    Should be done pretty soon...


    Sweet. I appreciate your help. (Same goes to everyone here.) :)
  8. Best answer
    It's a little over budget but it will serve you well

    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

    CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor ($109.99 @ Newegg)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper TX3 54.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($19.99 @ Amazon)
    Motherboard: MSI 970A-G43 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($59.99 @ Micro Center)
    Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($64.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($54.98 @ OutletPC)
    Video Card: MSI Radeon R7 260X 2GB Video Card ($119.99 @ Amazon)
    Case: Cooler Master Elite 430 ATX Mid Tower Case ($29.99 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: Corsair CX 430W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($24.99 @ Newegg)
    Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD/CD Writer ($14.99 @ Newegg)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.99 @ NCIX US)
    Total: $589.89
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-04-10 17:56 EDT-0400)
  9. Does $550 include the monitor/mouse/keyboard etc. or just the computer itself?
  10. wolverine96 said:
    Does $550 include the monitor/mouse/keyboard etc. or just the computer itself?


    Just the computer itself.
  11. ekagori said:
    It's a little over budget but it will serve you well

    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

    CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor ($109.99 @ Newegg)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper TX3 54.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($19.99 @ Amazon)
    Motherboard: MSI 970A-G43 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($59.99 @ Micro Center)
    Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($64.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($54.98 @ OutletPC)
    Video Card: MSI Radeon R7 260X 2GB Video Card ($119.99 @ Amazon)
    Case: Cooler Master Elite 430 ATX Mid Tower Case ($29.99 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: Corsair CX 430W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($24.99 @ Newegg)
    Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD/CD Writer ($14.99 @ Newegg)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.99 @ NCIX US)
    Total: $589.89
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-04-10 17:56 EDT-0400)


    Thank you! I'll take a look.

    Edit: I might just go with your build since it's been approved. Going to wait a little bit longer to see if anything else is posted. Thank you again.
  12. The PNY GeForce GTX 650 Ti 1GB Video Card looks like a good nVidia card for $109.99 at Newegg (with rebate).

    According to nVidia, it will run WoW at ofer 60fps:
    http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-650ti/performance

    Good card for the money.
  13. It only has 1GB, I didn't notice that.

    Just keep that in mind...
  14. Cooler Master makes good cases, I have the HAF XM (probably not for you, it's pretty huge).
  15. I had been building a parts list, but ekagori has a pretty awesome one. Much better than mine. Kudos, ekagori!
  16. wolverine96 said:
    It only has 1GB, I didn't notice that.

    Just keep that in mind...


    Sorry for my lack of knowledge on the subject, but how will that affect the game? And not to put Ekagori's build under the spotlight, but what's your opinion on it? I'm not sure what's good or bad.

    Edit: You replied while I was typing mine out. hah So you're a fan of the build that was posted?
  17. Thanks... Well given your budget, AMD makes more sense because you can extract a little more performance by overclocking it than an i3 4130. Since you will be streaming while gaming, having the extra modules of the AMD will work best for you.
  18. erple said:
    Hi! :)

    I would like to build a gaming PC for around $550. I plan on streaming so it needs to be able to multitask well. I play mostly WoW and would like it to run at a solid 60fps on at least medium settings while streaming. If it can run other games like Battlefield 4 with 60fps on medium that'd be cool too. (I prefer fps over graphics.)

    If it isn't asking for too much, could someone please create a build for me? I don't know much about building computers and there are so many parts it gets confusing. I would greatly appreciate any help! Thank you!


    PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3pD8I
    Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3pD8I/by_merchant/
    Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3pD8I/benchmarks/

    CPU Cooler: Rosewill RCX-ZAIO-92 54.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($15.99 @ Amazon)
    Memory: Kingston 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($69.99 @ Amazon)
    Storage: Seagate Barracuda 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($49.98 @ OutletPC)
    Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 270 2GB Video Card ($179.99 @ Amazon)
    Case: Cooler Master Elite 430 ATX Mid Tower Case ($29.99 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: Corsair CX 500W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($43.98 @ Newegg)
    Other: CPU + MB ($129.97)
    Total: $519.89
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-04-10 19:45 EDT-0400)

    575$ built + cheap shipping PM Me
  19. erple said:
    wolverine96 said:
    It only has 1GB, I didn't notice that.

    Just keep that in mind...


    Sorry for my lack of knowledge on the subject, but how will that affect the game? And not to put Ekagori's build under the spotlight, but what's your opinion on it? I'm not sure what's good or bad.

    Edit: You replied while I was typing mine out. hah So you're a fan of the build that was posted?


    The more RAM there is on the card, the more complicated of a scene you can have on the screen. More objects/textures/etc.

    2GB vs 1GB means the 2GB card can handle twice the objects/textures as the 1GB card.

    Yes, I like the build. If you want to spend a little more on something, maybe get a Gold Rated power supply. It will save you a little on the electric bill.
  20. wolverine96 said:
    erple said:
    wolverine96 said:
    It only has 1GB, I didn't notice that.

    Just keep that in mind...


    Sorry for my lack of knowledge on the subject, but how will that affect the game? And not to put Ekagori's build under the spotlight, but what's your opinion on it? I'm not sure what's good or bad.

    Edit: You replied while I was typing mine out. hah So you're a fan of the build that was posted?


    The more RAM there is on the card, the more complicated of a scene you can have on the screen. More objects/textures/etc.

    2GB vs 1GB means the 2GB card can handle twice the objects/textures as the 1GB card.

    Yes, I like the build. If you want to spend a little more on something, maybe get a Gold Rated power supply. It will save you a little on the electric bill.


    Dont know where you are, east cost of the states its averaging 11C/kilowatt
  21. Its_Byte_00 said:
    wolverine96 said:
    erple said:
    wolverine96 said:
    It only has 1GB, I didn't notice that.

    Just keep that in mind...


    Sorry for my lack of knowledge on the subject, but how will that affect the game? And not to put Ekagori's build under the spotlight, but what's your opinion on it? I'm not sure what's good or bad.

    Edit: You replied while I was typing mine out. hah So you're a fan of the build that was posted?


    The more RAM there is on the card, the more complicated of a scene you can have on the screen. More objects/textures/etc.

    2GB vs 1GB means the 2GB card can handle twice the objects/textures as the 1GB card.

    Yes, I like the build. If you want to spend a little more on something, maybe get a Gold Rated power supply. It will save you a little on the electric bill.


    Dont know where you are, east cost of the states its averaging 11C/kilowatt


    It shouldn't really matter what the price of electricity is, a more efficient power supply will waste less electricity.
    A 250-watt power supply at 80% efficiency will only give you 200 watts (80% of 250). 50 watts will be wasted as heat.
  22. wolverine96 said:
    Its_Byte_00 said:
    wolverine96 said:
    erple said:
    wolverine96 said:
    It only has 1GB, I didn't notice that.

    Just keep that in mind...


    Sorry for my lack of knowledge on the subject, but how will that affect the game? And not to put Ekagori's build under the spotlight, but what's your opinion on it? I'm not sure what's good or bad.

    Edit: You replied while I was typing mine out. hah So you're a fan of the build that was posted?


    The more RAM there is on the card, the more complicated of a scene you can have on the screen. More objects/textures/etc.

    2GB vs 1GB means the 2GB card can handle twice the objects/textures as the 1GB card.

    Yes, I like the build. If you want to spend a little more on something, maybe get a Gold Rated power supply. It will save you a little on the electric bill.


    Dont know where you are, east cost of the states its averaging 11C/kilowatt


    It shouldn't really matter what the price of electricity is, a more efficient power supply will waste less electricity.
    A 250-watt power supply at 80% efficiency will only give you 200 watts (80% of 250). 50 watts will be wasted as heat.

    That not true at all, the efficiency of a power supply is determined as a parabola on a graph

    click here: http://www.microcenter.com/product/399158/CX_Series_CX750_750_Watt_ATX_12V_Power_Supply scroll down to the bottem and look at the first graph. most PSU's are 80+, this one being 80+ Bronze so its at least 82% efficient at 20% load, 85% at 50% load and 82% at 100% Load.
  23. Its_Byte_00 said:
    wolverine96 said:
    Its_Byte_00 said:
    wolverine96 said:
    erple said:
    wolverine96 said:
    It only has 1GB, I didn't notice that.

    Just keep that in mind...


    Sorry for my lack of knowledge on the subject, but how will that affect the game? And not to put Ekagori's build under the spotlight, but what's your opinion on it? I'm not sure what's good or bad.

    Edit: You replied while I was typing mine out. hah So you're a fan of the build that was posted?


    The more RAM there is on the card, the more complicated of a scene you can have on the screen. More objects/textures/etc.

    2GB vs 1GB means the 2GB card can handle twice the objects/textures as the 1GB card.

    Yes, I like the build. If you want to spend a little more on something, maybe get a Gold Rated power supply. It will save you a little on the electric bill.


    Dont know where you are, east cost of the states its averaging 11C/kilowatt


    It shouldn't really matter what the price of electricity is, a more efficient power supply will waste less electricity.
    A 250-watt power supply at 80% efficiency will only give you 200 watts (80% of 250). 50 watts will be wasted as heat.

    That not true at all, the efficiency of a power supply is determined as a parabola on a graph

    click here: http://www.microcenter.com/product/399158/CX_Series_CX750_750_Watt_ATX_12V_Power_Supply scroll down to the bottem and look at the first graph. most PSU's are 80+, this one being 80+ Bronze so its at least 82% efficient at 20% load, 85% at 50% load and 82% at 100% Load.


    I understand that, and I'm not saying there's anything particularly wrong with his power supply, just that a gold rated power supply is more efficient and will waste less electricity. The gold standard is at least 87% at 20% load, 90% at 50%, and 87% at 100%.

    We're getting a little off topic...
  24. wolverine96 said:
    Its_Byte_00 said:
    wolverine96 said:
    Its_Byte_00 said:
    wolverine96 said:
    erple said:
    wolverine96 said:
    It only has 1GB, I didn't notice that.

    Just keep that in mind...


    Sorry for my lack of knowledge on the subject, but how will that affect the game? And not to put Ekagori's build under the spotlight, but what's your opinion on it? I'm not sure what's good or bad.

    Edit: You replied while I was typing mine out. hah So you're a fan of the build that was posted?


    The more RAM there is on the card, the more complicated of a scene you can have on the screen. More objects/textures/etc.

    2GB vs 1GB means the 2GB card can handle twice the objects/textures as the 1GB card.

    Yes, I like the build. If you want to spend a little more on something, maybe get a Gold Rated power supply. It will save you a little on the electric bill.


    Dont know where you are, east cost of the states its averaging 11C/kilowatt


    It shouldn't really matter what the price of electricity is, a more efficient power supply will waste less electricity.
    A 250-watt power supply at 80% efficiency will only give you 200 watts (80% of 250). 50 watts will be wasted as heat.

    That not true at all, the efficiency of a power supply is determined as a parabola on a graph

    click here: http://www.microcenter.com/product/399158/CX_Series_CX750_750_Watt_ATX_12V_Power_Supply scroll down to the bottem and look at the first graph. most PSU's are 80+, this one being 80+ Bronze so its at least 82% efficient at 20% load, 85% at 50% load and 82% at 100% Load.


    I understand that, and I'm not saying there's anything particularly wrong with his power supply, just that a gold rated power supply is more efficient and will waste less electricity. The gold standard is at least 87% at 20% load, 90% at 50%, and 87% at 100%.

    We're getting a little off topic...


    <3 <3 <3

    Lol man, im just sayin, it will take a fat month before a 169$ power supply shows its value with the kilowatt pricing in the usa
  25. LOL, Its_Byte_00
  26. wolverine96 said:
    LOL, Its_Byte_00


    tom decided i couldint have 00000000.....................................
  27. Its_Byte_00 said:
    wolverine96 said:
    LOL, Its_Byte_00


    tom decided i couldint have 00000000.....................................


    So instead you chose hexadecimal... ;)
    Okay, seriously, we need to stop now... LOL
  28. wolverine96 said:
    Its_Byte_00 said:
    wolverine96 said:
    LOL, Its_Byte_00


    tom decided i couldint have 00000000.....................................


    So instead you chose hexadecimal... ;)
    Okay, seriously, we need to stop now... LOL


    yeah....OP Messaged me thanks for the build, not sure if hes going to get back to us....
Ask a new question

Read More

Video Games Gaming World Of Warcraft Build