Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Bad Read/Write Speeds on SSD

Last response: in Storage
Share
April 11, 2014 10:58:39 AM

Hi, I recently purchased a Crucial M500 120gb SSD and I ran the CrystalDiskMark benchmark to test it. What I found was that I was getting around 135MB/s sequential read and write. I am running on a Sata 2 port since my MB does not have a Sata 3 port but am looking to upgrade it soon. I know that I won't be getting around 450 - 500MB/s read and 130MB/s write speeds like the manufacturer and some reviews claim on a Sata 2 port but I'm sure I should be hitting at least a 250MB/s read speed?

Any advice will be appreciated thanks :) 
a c 159 G Storage
April 11, 2014 11:11:28 AM

Do you set the storage mode to ahci mode in the BIOS? or check the ssd alignment.
m
0
l
a b G Storage
April 11, 2014 11:21:47 AM

I too have a sata2 mainboard (Gigabyte GA-P35C DS3R).
SSD is Sandisk Extreme 120 gb.
I use AS SSD benchmark and get seq. Read/write figures of around 258/150 MB/s (ahci is enabled)

I get much better performance with Sandisk Extreme 240 gb on my laptop which has sata3 ports.
m
0
l
Related resources
April 11, 2014 11:21:55 AM

Just a shot in the dark, do you happen to have an older motherboard with a nvidia chipset? Questions like these really should include full system specs, or at least the actual motherboard in use as the bios options vary quite a bit.
m
0
l
April 11, 2014 12:05:57 PM

cin19 said:
Do you set the storage mode to ahci mode in the BIOS? or check the ssd alignment.


I tried enabling ahci in the BIOS and when I did my computer kept on restarting when it got to the Windows loading screen. :( 
m
0
l
April 11, 2014 12:09:53 PM

clonazepam said:
Just a shot in the dark, do you happen to have an older motherboard with a nvidia chipset? Questions like these really should include full system specs, or at least the actual motherboard in use as the bios options vary quite a bit.


Hi

Specs:
CPU: AMD FX 6300 @ Stock
Mobo: Asus M5A78L-M/USB3 760G chipset with the latest BIOS update.
SSD: Crucial M500 120gb
HDD: Some Seagate 320gb :p 
GPU: MSI HD 7950
m
0
l
April 11, 2014 12:12:21 PM

Kursun said:
I too have a sata2 mainboard (Gigabyte GA-P35C DS3R).
SSD is Sandisk Extreme 120 gb.
I use AS SSD benchmark and get seq. Read/write figures of around 258/150 MB/s (ahci is enabled)

I get much better performance with Sandisk Extreme 240 gb on my laptop which has sata3 ports.



Is the Sandisk Extreme any good? was thinking of buying it over this Crucial M500.
m
0
l

Best solution

a c 159 G Storage
April 11, 2014 12:47:04 PM

sulaiman100 said:
cin19 said:
Do you set the storage mode to ahci mode in the BIOS? or check the ssd alignment.


I tried enabling ahci in the BIOS and when I did my computer kept on restarting when it got to the Windows loading screen. :( 


Then try this from microsoft: Fix it http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922976
Share
a c 77 G Storage
April 11, 2014 4:20:37 PM

cin19 said:
sulaiman100 said:
cin19 said:
Do you set the storage mode to ahci mode in the BIOS? or check the ssd alignment.


I tried enabling ahci in the BIOS and when I did my computer kept on restarting when it got to the Windows loading screen. :( 


Then try this from microsoft: Fix it http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922976


That is your issue, SATA ports does not run as it intend. Legacy/IDE/Compatible mode in BIOS forces the SATA port runs as ATA100/ATA133.
There are MANY posts in here that shows you how to switch
Once changed you should get speed that you want


m
0
l
a b G Storage
April 12, 2014 3:21:15 AM

sulaiman100 said:
Kursun said:
I too have a sata2 mainboard (Gigabyte GA-P35C DS3R).
SSD is Sandisk Extreme 120 gb.
I use AS SSD benchmark and get seq. Read/write figures of around 258/150 MB/s (ahci is enabled)

I get much better performance with Sandisk Extreme 240 gb on my laptop which has sata3 ports.



Is the Sandisk Extreme any good? was thinking of buying it over this Crucial M500.


I am quite happy with the Sandisk Extreme, especially with the one on sata3 board.

It seems AHCI was not enabled when you installed windows. First boot normally, do the following modification on registry: http://superuser.com/questions/110927/how-can-i-enable-...
Then restart and enter BIOS. Change the ports to AHCI. After that your PC should run OK.
m
0
l
a b G Storage
April 12, 2014 3:46:02 AM

sulaiman100 said:
Kursun said:
I too have a sata2 mainboard (Gigabyte GA-P35C DS3R).
SSD is Sandisk Extreme 120 gb.
I use AS SSD benchmark and get seq. Read/write figures of around 258/150 MB/s (ahci is enabled)

I get much better performance with Sandisk Extreme 240 gb on my laptop which has sata3 ports.



Is the Sandisk Extreme any good? was thinking of buying it over this Crucial M500.


Years ago, before I started using Sandisk Extreme, on my PC I had two older generation SSDs (2*Corsair 64 gb P64 CMFSSD-64GBG2D) in RAID 0 configuration. The performance was quite good, but deteriorated with use since TRIM is not supported. I had to do clean erase the drives from time to time. So RAID 0 is tiresome business with SSDs unless TRIM is supported.
m
1
l
April 12, 2014 4:42:06 AM

cin19 said:
sulaiman100 said:
cin19 said:
Do you set the storage mode to ahci mode in the BIOS? or check the ssd alignment.


I tried enabling ahci in the BIOS and when I did my computer kept on restarting when it got to the Windows loading screen. :( 


Then try this from microsoft: Fix it http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922976



Just tried the Fix It tool from the link you provided and this time it booted up without crashing. After benchmarking I've gone from around 135MB/s to 252MB/s read! Thanks Dude!!!!
m
0
l
April 12, 2014 4:44:14 AM

Thanks for all the help guys I really appreciate it!
m
0
l
!