840 pro vs 840 evo / or / 1tb 2.5 5400 hhd / or / 2tb wd passport ultra

Dblkk

Honorable
Oct 30, 2013
I know this is yet again another pro/evo question. But I believe the pro to be far superior to the evo. It uses better nand and gives the same performance as the evo by pure nand power and not accelerants and such.

I have an asus g750 laptop, which has two bays. I took out the original 1tb hhd after purchasing, and am running my Samsung 840 evo 1tb as the only drive. Looking to get as much battery as I can, but also need a lot of space. I don't use my laptop for gaming, more than a few hours a week. I use it for video editing, photo editing, solidworks, autocad, and the such. But also want my battery to be as good as it can be.

So questions are,
1. in terms of battery which would be better?
A second ssd or a hhd? This will be pure data storage, so not sure if an hhd without reading/writing actually spins at all or uses any power. While I know ssd use power reguardless, but very little.

2. If the ssd is better, which I think it is, which would be better as my os drive. For the same price, I can get 128gb pro or 256gb evo, $120. I know the evo is almost as good as the pro, but i have a 1tb ssd for data storage then so the 128gb will be more than enough. I personally favor the pro, since it gives better performance all around including 4k, vs the evo gives great sequential. And the pro uses 2bit better nand and the evo 3 bit. So longevity i give to the pro, and since this is going to be the os, id rather have the better drive.

3. Or should i just keep the 1tb Samsung for now and get a 2gb wd passport external. Not favoring this one in the least, as its more to carry and will give slower performance. Plus im waiting on the 4gb external, don't remember much about it but it has 4 platters and its internally setup as raid, so it gives great performance. I'm not sure if its usb 3.0 or if its thunder, im hoping thunder but that will def add to the price.

Personal thoughts, I'm really leaning or favoring not using my Samsung 1tb evo as my boot drive, just less wear and tear, plus for data storage being on the 1tb ssd will be able to access a lot faster than if i were to get hhd 1tb.

So, i guess, thoughts on any of the questions. But biggest one, is 128 Samsung pro or 256 Samsung evo?

Dblkk

Honorable
Oct 30, 2013
I'm also up to 4 intel 530 ssd's in my pc now, all 240gb. Have then in raid 0. I could take one out and use that, but now just thinking, i don't want to have to take one out and then reconfigure raid and reinstall windows and all my programs.

Dblkk

Honorable
Oct 30, 2013
Code:

Oh it is, well should be for normal use. The space isn't the issue. Its that while rendering or editing videos, you get a huge performance drop if your using a ssd for both read/write and os/program.

I want my 1tb to be data only, then use my external for writing to, and my new ssd (smaller one) for os/programs.

As of right now, i have to put on and take off the videos im editing. Just this last weekend we had a family park thing, shot some hd videos, couple hours worth. Being on the same drive, original movie, extracted audio, and enhanced audio, its almost 450gb. With the finished 250gb finished product on my portable. So that's what i mean about when im done with one project i need to take it off before i start another. Plus, if i were to put entire start to finish on my ssd (not finished product on external), id be using my full 1tb. And that's just a weekend family event. Lately ive been getting all vhs movies from entire family and putting them to digital, editing them, then organizing, combining, breaking up into years, and burning to a few blu ray disks for final project. I use my desktop for the major huge projects, but im not always home which is why i bought a laptop. So i take a chunk of my project with me on the go.

For my pc, i have 4x intel 530 240gb in raid 0. Then a raid nas sytem with 5x 2tb wd blacks in raid, in which i only use for editing and rendering. I also have a 3x3.25 raid bay in my actual pc with 3x 3tb sagaets for kids movies, pictures, and finalized videos.

That is just the thing about EVO, not great for sequential read/write compare to MLC. Even if you leave it to only data read/write for video production, I don't think changing the drive to data only will have a big difference.

If you would like to purchase a boot drive, PRO for its warranty or EVO for its price. I would go with EVO.

You may also use the original 1 TB drive that came with the laptop as external drive to save some money (by using enclosure).

Dblkk

Honorable
Oct 30, 2013
I'm wondering if I can get a hhd bay to replace my disk drive in my laptop? I'd like to get a second Samsung evo 1tb, and a 256gb pro for os. That way I can have os/programs on one disk (840 pro), my original files on another disk (evo 1tb), and finalized files on another separate disk (2nd 840 evo)

Does anyone know if this will work?

Dblkk

Honorable
Oct 30, 2013

Not to worried about price, and performance wise is huge benefit from not having it all on one disk. Especially ssd's in general are horrible for rendering. Since they give boost high speeds. But as anyone says, once you fill up the buffer the drive speeds are crap. And if your rendering, your reading/editing/writing files all at once. Which is huge reason i went 5x wdblack hhd in raid, vs getting a bunch of ssd's for raid/ Only reason i have so many intels is that Christmas time i got the intel 530 240gb for $69 a piece. I couldn't pass that up. Put one in each laptop, but slowly been upgrading those for higher compacity samsungs, so instead of having 3 spare intel drives laying around i just threw them all into raid on my pc.

And im more worried about drive strength maybe. I wish the pro had 1tb versions, and i can easily write a few terabytes a day onto my ssd (840 evo).

So main question is, should i get a better quality drive for os/programs? Don't know if that makes a difference because to me it seems like my data drives get used more often during rendering.

Dblkk

Honorable
Oct 30, 2013
Ok, question i just realized i had forgot. For my data drive (being ssd and i write so much) should i get a hhd for that? Since im writing so much im kind of worried as far as longevity/if i do get hhd how bad will my performance loss be. And i put both those, as writing a lot of data is bad for ssd's so would it be worth sacrificing performance for longevity. Like a weigh in how bad am i thrashing my ssd vs how low is my performance going to drop, which is the better of the two? Since prices are all similar, $110 for a 1tb hhd, $120 for a 256gb ssd?

Dblkk

Honorable
Oct 30, 2013

Yes the 3tb sageate is only 99 on tiger direct today. I need laptop drives though. And yes the pro is warrentied for 5 years vs the 3 years of evo. But problem is, limited warrenty. They put write cycles listing on their products. I just put my 1tb Samsung 840 evo in my laptop not 3 weeks ago, I have 101.54 TB written, drive status good, capacity is only 931.51gb. Problem is, my video edit projects consist of about 300-500gb of data per project, then I extract audio off those original videos (about 100-150gb worth of audio), I then edit and enhance audio creating another 110-160gb, Then overwrite the original audio on the video file, delete all audio saves, and then edit video adding effects, creating scenes, editing frame by frames, I then render and create in several different ways. Usually end up about full drives worth, then offload onto blue ray disks/portable hhd/raid array, then delete off my laptop ssd.

So problem is, in a single day I will work with 20-100 video files for someone or myself, and have written over 1tb easy of data on my ssd. That's per day, ususally Monday through Friday, and then on weekend I usually use pc unless im not home.

So anyway a little off topic. But I write massive data, I think so at least. So that's why I lean towards pro vs evo. Yet evo offers 1tb while the pro only 500gb. I could just get a hdd bay that replaces my dvd and then add another 1tb evo and then a 256gb pro for os. That way im cutting data writes in half per ssd. Right?

Or should I just use a hhd? Those have same fail rates/time life expentancy. Actually I think hdd are rated at significantly lower hours of use.