Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Gtx 780 vs R9 290x + Build Review

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
April 11, 2014 9:23:22 PM

Hers My Build -- http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3qgjA -- Which i will be getting next week

My question is what graphics card should i get,Im not going to SLI or Crossfirex so thats why i chose the 650 watt powersupply (Before anyone asks)

In my Budget i can get a GTX 780 but i can streach out a little and get the R9 290x

I really like the physx and Shadowplay of Nvidia cards but i can get a R9 290x if i spend a $100 More or should i cut back on some parts and get the 780Ti is it worth?

I will be gaming on a single 1080 60Hz monitor (Coming from consloes so Thats enough for me)

Please dont say that the Amd cards run Hot i checked online and the Tri-X version runs 65 degress at full loads and 780 runs at 55 degress at full load so it doesnt bother me as i will water cool the cards later with a NZXT KRAKEN X40. (As i will be overclocking the cards)

In my country The prices are as follows --
Gtx cards are of the ASUS Direct CU 2 OC
R9 cards are of the Sapphire TRI-X OC
Gtx 780 -- $700
Gtx 780 Ti -- $1000
R9 290 -- $615
R9 290x -- $800
a b U Graphics card
April 11, 2014 9:29:14 PM

If you like physx then get the nvidia

all of these cards are more than enough for 1080p gaming
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
April 11, 2014 9:34:04 PM

Be careful with the kraken as it does not have vrm heatsinks.
m
0
l
Related resources
April 11, 2014 11:21:10 PM

combine1237 said:
Be careful with the kraken as it does not have vrm heatsinks.


Im going to be using the nzxt G10 bracket and it has a fan in it so that should take care of the Vram.Thanks
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
April 12, 2014 9:49:19 PM

You should still put heatsinks on the vrms as the g10 will not come with them and high temps can reduce lifespan and affect stability.

Vrms are voltage regulators not vram.
m
0
l
April 13, 2014 12:10:33 AM

combine1237 said:
You should still put heatsinks on the vrms as the g10 will not come with them and high temps can reduce lifespan and affect stability.

Vrms are voltage regulators not vram.


I do tht on the vrms but still you think tht the 780 will be enough cause i really like physx n most games i play will be nvidia based like watch dogs,batman etc etc.Will i get 60+ fps in ultra
m
0
l

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
April 13, 2014 12:18:30 AM

for a single 1080p monitor either the 290/780 will be plenty, especially after an overclock. both are great cards, the gk110 does overclock much better though. i would stay away from the kraken g10, there are plenty of reviews that show it does a worse job at cooling down the mosfets and vrms than even the amd/nvidia reference coolers.

if those are the prices in your country, just get the sapphire tri-x 290, its a great card with lots of bang for buck. if you really want to overclock like crazy get an evga 780 classified.
Share
April 13, 2014 12:37:50 AM

nikoli707 said:
for a single 1080p monitor either the 290/780 will be plenty, especially after an overclock. both are great cards, the gk110 does overclock much better though. i would stay away from the kraken g10, there are plenty of reviews that show it does a worse job at cooling down the mosfets and vrms than even the amd/nvidia reference coolers.

if those are the prices in your country, just get the sapphire tri-x 290, its a great card with lots of bang for buck. if you really want to overclock like crazy get an evga 780 classified.


Thnx man ill stick with the coolers the cards come in and i will get the 780 for its overclocking potential.Really helped so thanks again:) 
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
April 13, 2014 8:41:28 AM

you dont have to shy away from the 290, they still overclock good, its just gk110 has incredible amount of headroom. i have my 780 classy running 1.3ghz on the stock max voltage(1.212v, up from 1.150v) and i stay under 80c. with the classy voltage tool i could go as high as 1.35v on the core but i would need a waterblock and a good water loop to get anywhere near that.
m
0
l
!