R9 270: No monitor output

Rob Grange

Reputable
Apr 12, 2014
Hello

I've had a look through the multiple posts on this forum and seen that there is multiple people having this same issue, but none of them have helped me, so here i am making a new thread in the hope that maybe someone out there can help me.

I bought a new ASUS AMD Radeon R9 270 GPU a few days ago and it arrived early hours this morning. Obviously excited i wanted too get it into the PC and underway. So i took the old card out and plugged the new card in and turned the computer back on to only see black monitors. Though i heard windows boot up perfectly fine through the speakers.

So i figured i would check too see if the on board card was working, which upon unplugging the monitors from the R9 270 and placing into the onboard everything was fine and monitor came on. Now the R9 is fine, its seated correctly, the 6 pin connector is plugged in and the green light next to the 6pin is green and upon starting up the computer the fans on the GPU are spinning fine, but just nothing displayed on the monitor(s). I also checked in the Device Manager and the Display Adapters is only showing my onboard card and not the R9 270 ??

So i turned off my computer and inserted my old ASUS HD 6770 back into my computer and booted back up with that, and voila everything is working fine. Both monitors are on and the card is also showing in the Device Manager under Display Adapters.

So...
R9 270 Plugged in = R9 Not registering, but onboard is working.
HD 6770 Plugged in = Everything working fine.

I have looked through this forum at many posts trying too work out what the problem is and too try and solve the issue. Including downloading the beta drivers and also tried too see if my wireless card that was plugged into my PCI slot was causing an issue (as it was another person on a 270X i think it was).

Mobo: BIOSTAR N68S3+
PSU: 650w

Ive looked at the possibility that its a BIOS issue and although im not familiar with this areai did look up versions and it doesnt look like there is any update for that as the version i have on my computer is the only 1 available on the site (Last updated 26th Aug 2010).

Any ideas what is going on here and what i can do too get this problem resolved at all ? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Rob Grange

Reputable
Apr 12, 2014
I have downloaded the Beta drivers from here:
http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/latest-catalyst-windows-beta.aspx

All old drivers where fully uninstalled and upon rebooting the PC the computer will not display from the R9 270 which then makes me have to plug a monitor into the Integrated to allow myself to run the installer for the above drivers. I then reboot and still the R9 270 is still not being recognized. What ever i do the R9 270 is just not giving an output. Like i put in the above post, its not even showing in device manager nor giving any output on to the monitors, which then forces me to unplug my monitor and put it into my integrated to then carry on with shutting down the computer/write this post up..

Edit: Its also worth noting that both my HD 6770 & my R9 270 use the same drivers. Hence why i tried the uninstall + reinstalling the Beta drivers too see if that would help out.

Edit2: I get an error also after installing the drivers and also on the reboot stating:
"The AMD Catalyst Control Center is not supported by the driver version of your enabled graphics adapter. Please update your AMD graphics driver, or enable your AMD adapter using the Displays manager."

wolverine96

Reputable
Mar 26, 2014

Just so you know, there are two drivers on that page, 13.12 and 14.3

Rob Grange

Reputable
Apr 12, 2014
Sorry, i got called into work this morning.... sucky sundays >.< Anyways will likely look into this a little later as i have only just got back in. But the 14.3 is the Beta drives. I did link in the first post about trying those out.

1 thing i dont understand though is on all previous cards i have had i plug the card in and i get the display on them straight away with the monitor cables plugged into the gfx card directly and its fine. Yet with the R9 270 its not giving the output which is forcing me into plugging into my Integrated to get an output on my monitors.

Any idea with that 1 ?

Rob Grange

Reputable
Apr 12, 2014
Ok, i have tried the other drivers and they are still not working. Im sorting it out with Amazon too go through a replacement to see if its a defective item - otherwise i guess its incompatibility issues with my current mobo. And as there is no BIOS update for my board im out of options unless i pick up another board. And i dont have the back pocket to be buying a new Mobo & CPU atm.

Rob Grange

Reputable
Apr 12, 2014
Just an update on this. I sent off for a replacement from Amazon just too see if maybe that was the problem, and love and behold, new card come through 20 mins ago. Plugged it in and voila worked straight away. So guess faulty card on the last 1.

Thanks for those that did try too help though, appreciate it.

wolverine96

Reputable
Mar 26, 2014

You're welcome! I hate getting DOA's, mainly because I need to know for sure that it actually is DOA.