Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

All games starting to fps drop/stutter

Last response: in Video Games
Share
April 12, 2014 2:50:49 PM

Hi

Recently all my games have started having major fps stuttering which makes them unplayable.
I used to be able to run games such as CS:GO, Skyrim and arma 2 with no problem, but all of a sudden this is not possible anymore due to the fps stutters.
It can be compared to this, just worse: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYhDgYkplvk


I have tried several things to fix this, but so far nothing has worked:
-Defragging
-Deleting and cleaning up software
-Cleaning up the inside of my computer/hardware
-Formatting my hard drive and installing windows 8.1 pro (used to have windows 7 ultimate)
-Virus/malware scans
-Monitoring the temps of my hardware while in-game (CPU goes to 70 C, GPU goes to 60-70 C and hard drive never above 50 C)
-Installing the latest drivers for my GPU

so basically i have tried all that i can think off. I need help to fix this problem, as it makes my computer virtually worthless to me :( 

My specs are:
CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1090T (3200.0 MHz)
Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-870A-UD3 (AMD 770/870 (RX780)+SB810/SB850)
RAM: 4 GB
Hard Drive: 500 GB
GPU: nVidia GeForce GTX 560 (p1046)
April 12, 2014 2:54:46 PM

may help try diferent gpu drivers.WHATS THE CPU LOAD AT TASK MANAGER.
m
0
l
April 12, 2014 3:01:01 PM

Try watching the RAM usage on your games. Might also help to see if any programs are taking a lot of usage and/or memory leaking.
m
0
l
Related resources
April 12, 2014 3:16:44 PM

Your ram may be the issue, look at your memory usage, if it is maxed out all the time upgrading to 8GB will solve your issues.
m
0
l
April 12, 2014 3:26:50 PM

Okay i just tried running CS:GO and monitor my stats.
At first when im in the game it runs smooth. But after 1 minutes i start to lag more than the time i have no lag which makes it unplay-able.

I found out my GPU and CPU heats up to 60-70 C when i play a game like CS:GO. I updated this in my first post.
I can see my RAM usage while running CS:GO is 2.7GB out of the 4GB i have.
my hard drive temp stays at around 30 C. Only the CPU and GPU rises.
I can also see in the task manager that the CPU utilization when playing is around 50%

EDIT: This may be related to my CPU temps? After i closed my game down and were only browsing the internet the GPU temp fell from 60 C to 30 C but my CPU temp stay pretty much around 60-70 C
m
0
l
April 13, 2014 12:42:31 AM

Looks like possible throttling. Getting a better CPU cooler should fix all your issues. Also, applying thermal paste correctly can make all the difference.

If you can upgrade your RAM, that would help too.
m
0
l
April 13, 2014 2:31:43 AM

Thanks for the reply all of you.
I guess you are correct Lightbulbie. I was watching my CPU temp a while last night it seems very high most of the time (always between 60-70) even when im just browsing the internet or watching a stream etc.
As the noob i am, i took out my CPU when i turned of my computer and i took the thermal paste off (what was left of it) because i actually thought it was just a mix of old dust and dirt. Does thermal paste really help alot? Also if i buy a new cooler for my CPU do i have to buy thermal paste or is it already applied to the new cooler? How do i find out which CPU coolers fits onto my CPU (AMD Phenom II X6 1090T (3200.0 MHz)).
And would a RAM upgrade to 4 --> 8 gb help alot?

thanks
m
0
l
April 13, 2014 3:59:22 AM

The Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo fits with your CPU, it is a very good cooler for a low price and thermal paste is included so you don't have to buy new paste, but getting better paste always works in your favor.

A ram upgrade from 4 to 8 GB will fix stuttering in games that will get your memory usage up to 100%.

Hope that helps!
m
0
l
April 13, 2014 6:04:21 AM

robijn112 said:
The Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo fits with your CPU, it is a very good cooler for a low price and thermal paste is included so you don't have to buy new paste, but getting better paste always works in your favor.

A ram upgrade from 4 to 8 GB will fix stuttering in games that will get your memory usage up to 100%.

Hope that helps!


Thanks for the reply.
So, if i order the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo what kind of thermal paste should i order with it? I know nothing about what is good and what is not.

Regarding the RAM, right now i use a DDR3 Corsair XMS3 4gb, only 1 stick.
On the stick it says 2000 MHz but in my program which i use to monitor temps and stuff, it says this:
http://postimg.org/image/70ce7q2d5/

what kind of RAM should i order for it co-work with the RAM i already have?
m
0
l
April 13, 2014 7:44:34 AM

Use this Thermal paste comparison: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/thermal-paste-perfo... to choose your thermal paste and for your ram, ordering the same stick will get you 8GB but it is always better to buy a set of 2x4GB to ensure they will work with dual-channel and that they will not have any problems at all.
m
0
l
April 13, 2014 8:18:17 AM

RAM is mainly dual-channel, which means... It's hard for me to explain, but it is running at the 2,000mhz that it should be at. When you see things like that 1,000mhz. You normally double that for the real speed because it is two channels of 1,000mhz, effectively running at 2,000mhz. I'll get an example picture..

A simple 2x4 kit of DDR3 1866mhz should suit you well, considering you DO have two RAM slots and your motherboard can handle 8GB.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Thermal paste is needed in any build. What it does is get in the little cracks of the metal in the CPU and heatsink, giving a better heat transfer from the CPU. Arctic Silver 5 is what I used and recently re-applied it, dropping my temps by about 7C*. Having a good fan (Like the Hyper EVO 212) will also help greatly. Good thing that fan/heatsink combo is only $25~

EDIT:My RAM runs at 800mhz TOTAL due to the dual-channel. The 400mhz is the single channel speed. I'm sure the math is quite simple.
m
0
l
April 13, 2014 8:24:27 AM

OH. Apologies about ignoring your GPU temps. Best way to come around that is to just manually turn up the fan settings. Around 70C* is when GPUs/CPUs tend to throttle. At least for me.
m
0
l
April 13, 2014 8:26:22 AM

Have you cleaned your PC recently (removed all the dust) if not, you should because it will help drop temps alot too.
m
0
l
April 13, 2014 11:09:14 AM

robijn112 said:
Have you cleaned your PC recently (removed all the dust) if not, you should because it will help drop temps alot too.


Yes i did this very thourughly.

I kinda dont wanna spend alot of money on a new CPU. I think changing the fan + applying good thermal paste hopefully will lower my CPU temps.
Regarding the RAM, it would be really nice if i could get some RAM that i can use with my current RAM.
How do i find what RAM my current stick of RAM can run with?

EDIT: my computer just crashed because the CPU overheated. Is there a point where the CPU is simply destroyed? Should i invest in a completely new CPU or will all the problems just be fixed with a good cooler and good thermal paste?
m
0
l
April 13, 2014 2:12:16 PM

you just cannot run computer without thermalpaste(cost around 4$),you gonna destroy cpu compliantly.Task Manager provides information about ram usage if its more then 95% usage i would buy same kind memory or you can use flash drive if your have one as memory for your pc,
m
0
l
April 13, 2014 3:18:17 PM

kapitalistas said:
you just cannot run computer without thermalpaste(cost around 4$),you gonna destroy cpu compliantly.Task Manager provides information about ram usage if its more then 95% usage i would buy same kind memory or you can use flash drive if your have one as memory for your pc,


i think i have come to the conclusion of buying a new CPU cooler + thermal paste and some xtra RAM.

I have listened to your guys advice and im gonna order on amazon:
-CPU FAN: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO (120mm)
-RAM: G.Skill 2x4GB PC3-14900, F3-14900CL9D-8GBSR
-Thermal Paste: GELID Solutions Extreme Performance GC-3
- Im considering getting 2400 MHz RAM instead, as i might aswell get some good equipment while i buy and i have come up with this: Kingston HyperX Predator Beast - 8 GB : 2 x 4 GB - DIMM 240-pin - DDR3 - 2400 MHz / PC3-19200. I just dont know if any RAM will work in my computer?

But one last thing before i do that, i want to make sure that all of this can be applied to my CPU and motherboard etc.? Would be very nice for someone to give me the last confirmation (my pc specs can be found in the first post)

Thanks
m
0
l
April 13, 2014 3:24:58 PM

mryousmell said:
kapitalistas said:
you just cannot run computer without thermalpaste(cost around 4$),you gonna destroy cpu compliantly.Task Manager provides information about ram usage if its more then 95% usage i would buy same kind memory or you can use flash drive if your have one as memory for your pc,


i think i have come to the conclusion of buying a new CPU cooler + thermal paste and some xtra RAM.

I have listened to your guys advice and im gonna order on amazon:
-CPU FAN: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO (120mm)
-RAM: G.Skill 2x4GB PC3-14900, F3-14900CL9D-8GBSR
-Thermal Paste: GELID Solutions Extreme Performance GC-3

But one last thing before i do that, i want to make sure that all of this can be applied to my CPU and motherboard etc.? Would be very nice for someone to give me the last confirmation (my pc specs can be found in the first post)

Thanks
im sure you didnt mention in the first post what memory you currently have.

m
0
l

Best solution

April 13, 2014 3:25:36 PM

I hope you can get the thermal paste applied safely. Doing it wrong can lead to CPU damage though there are really good videos on how to apply. (I had to look one up a few days ago)

Normally, getting two new RAM sticks rather than adding a new with an old is best, but hopefully it'll work for you.

Just make sure your temps don't go too high and you're good to go. I'd like to hear some feedback if possible.
Share
April 13, 2014 3:45:56 PM

Lightbulbie said:
I hope you can get the thermal paste applied safely. Doing it wrong can lead to CPU damage though there are really good videos on how to apply. (I had to look one up a few days ago)

Normally, getting two new RAM sticks rather than adding a new with an old is best, but hopefully it'll work for you.

Just make sure your temps don't go too high and you're good to go. I'd like to hear some feedback if possible.


yea i will have to becareful when applying the thermal paste, but as u said people have already been linking videos on how to do it :) 

Im considering getting 2400 MHz RAM instead, as i might aswell get some good equipment while i buy and i have come up with this: Kingston HyperX Predator Beast - 8 GB : 2 x 4 GB - DIMM 240-pin - DDR3 - 2400 MHz / PC3-19200. I just dont know if any RAM will work in my computer?


m
0
l
April 14, 2014 4:48:16 AM

2400MHz ram is not compatible with your motherboard: http://www.gigabyte.co.nl/products/product-page.aspx?pi... the max is 1866.

And buying higher MHz ram won't give any noticable FPS boost, unless you do things like photoshop, I reccomend buying 1600 ram with low timings instead (cas9 or lower). Hope that helps!
m
0
l
April 14, 2014 6:31:08 AM

robijn112 said:
2400MHz ram is not compatible with your motherboard: http://www.gigabyte.co.nl/products/product-page.aspx?pi... the max is 1866.

And buying higher MHz ram won't give any noticable FPS boost, unless you do things like photoshop, I reccomend buying 1600 ram with low timings instead (cas9 or lower). Hope that helps!

If he's already running 2000mhz RAM, then stepping down to 1866mhz won't be a big change. However, going down to 1600mhz might have a noticeable difference. I think I did give a link to a really good quality RAM kit..
m
0
l
April 14, 2014 6:33:18 AM

mryousmell said:
robijn112 said:
Have you cleaned your PC recently (removed all the dust) if not, you should because it will help drop temps alot too.


Yes i did this very thourughly.

I kinda dont wanna spend alot of money on a new CPU. I think changing the fan + applying good thermal paste hopefully will lower my CPU temps.
Regarding the RAM, it would be really nice if i could get some RAM that i can use with my current RAM.
How do i find what RAM my current stick of RAM can run with?

EDIT: my computer just crashed because the CPU overheated. Is there a point where the CPU is simply destroyed? Should i invest in a completely new CPU or will all the problems just be fixed with a good cooler and good thermal paste?


Yes, your CPU can go to the point of being unusable.
m
0
l
April 14, 2014 6:38:17 AM

Lightbulbie said:
robijn112 said:
2400MHz ram is not compatible with your motherboard: http://www.gigabyte.co.nl/products/product-page.aspx?pi... the max is 1866.

And buying higher MHz ram won't give any noticable FPS boost, unless you do things like photoshop, I reccomend buying 1600 ram with low timings instead (cas9 or lower). Hope that helps!

If he's already running 2000mhz RAM, then stepping down to 1866mhz won't be a big change. However, going down to 1600mhz might have a noticeable difference. I think I did give a link to a really good quality RAM kit..


Yes you did, the G.Skill. :) 
Just wanted to make sure i couldnt get anything better :p 
I have now found a shop which sells all the items for my country for a reasonable price i will order them today.
Thanks all for the help, now i just hope this will solve my problem
m
0
l
April 14, 2014 7:39:27 AM

Lightbulbie said:
robijn112 said:
2400MHz ram is not compatible with your motherboard: http://www.gigabyte.co.nl/products/product-page.aspx?pi... the max is 1866.

And buying higher MHz ram won't give any noticable FPS boost, unless you do things like photoshop, I reccomend buying 1600 ram with low timings instead (cas9 or lower). Hope that helps!

If he's already running 2000mhz RAM, then stepping down to 1866mhz won't be a big change. However, going down to 1600mhz might have a noticeable difference. I think I did give a link to a really good quality RAM kit..


I compared 2933MHz ram to 1333MHz ram and I had no FPS difference in games, only in benchmarks. Both were CAS9 for the test. So it doesn't really matter that much, unless, like I already said, you use things like photoshop, THEN it would be worth the extra cost.
m
0
l
April 14, 2014 9:25:00 AM

robijn112 said:
Lightbulbie said:
robijn112 said:
2400MHz ram is not compatible with your motherboard: http://www.gigabyte.co.nl/products/product-page.aspx?pi... the max is 1866.

And buying higher MHz ram won't give any noticable FPS boost, unless you do things like photoshop, I reccomend buying 1600 ram with low timings instead (cas9 or lower). Hope that helps!

If he's already running 2000mhz RAM, then stepping down to 1866mhz won't be a big change. However, going down to 1600mhz might have a noticeable difference. I think I did give a link to a really good quality RAM kit..


I compared 2933MHz ram to 1333MHz ram and I had no FPS difference in games, only in benchmarks. Both were CAS9 for the test. So it doesn't really matter that much, unless, like I already said, you use things like photoshop, THEN it would be worth the extra cost.


Some games require faster RAM. My laptop ran BF3 easier than my desktop, and the only real difference was that my laptop has 1333mhz, while my desktop has 800mhz. There are games that need fast RAM, but it all depends on the game. I do know that faster RAM can take multitasking nicely.
m
0
l
April 14, 2014 9:49:18 AM

well, the hardware is on its way :) 
I ended up ordering the G.Skill RAM, the EVO coolermaster and some arctic MX-4 thermal paste.
I will return back with results when i have the hardware installed
m
0
l
April 16, 2014 7:00:30 AM

Lightbulbie said:
I hope you can get the thermal paste applied safely. Doing it wrong can lead to CPU damage though there are really good videos on how to apply. (I had to look one up a few days ago)

Normally, getting two new RAM sticks rather than adding a new with an old is best, but hopefully it'll work for you.

Just make sure your temps don't go too high and you're good to go. I'd like to hear some feedback if possible.


Great news everybody!

I installed my new CPU cooler and my new RAM.
I applied the Arctic MX-4 thermal paste on the heat sink instead of the CPU, because i read that the paste should go on heatsinks with tubes (which my new one have) to fill out the small space between the tubes.

Once everything was back together (i think i did something different because my front USB are not working atm, it is the first time i have ever taken out my motherboard and all the cables :S) i booted up my PC and it was running normally. My CPU temps were around 25 C when it was just on desktop and nothing running, compared to previously it was around 35-40 C. I then tried testing the CPU temps under workload, and i opened 8 browser windows all running streams on twitch.tv while i was playing CS:GO. The CPU temps where a succes, and i only ended up getting around 35-40 C while i was having 8 browsers open and playing CS:GO.

The stutters i had while gaming, which were the main problem, are now gone.
Thanks all of you for the help and advice, now i hope the performance will be better than ever with upgraded CPU cooler and 8GB of RAM

PS. what do i have to do to get my front USB to work again?
m
0
l
April 16, 2014 8:19:58 AM

you should reconnect the usb front headers to your MB again.
m
0
l
April 16, 2014 9:10:01 AM

robijn112 said:
you should reconnect the usb front headers to your MB again.


i tried looking for it but i couldnt find the cable which goes in the port -.- i guess i have to try again
m
0
l
April 17, 2014 12:11:47 PM

found the USB cable so now everything is working again :) 
m
0
l
April 18, 2014 8:56:29 AM

mryousmell said:
found the USB cable so now everything is working again :) 


Congrats bud. Now game on.
m
0
l
!