Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question
Solved

Weird performance problems on powerful system.

Tags:
  • bad performance
  • pc
  • Games
  • system
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
April 12, 2014 4:17:00 PM

Hello,

I have a kind of weird problem with my rig. It is fairly powerful. Quad Core at 3.5GHz, GTX 770 2GB, 16GB DDR3 RAM, SSD. But the actual performance in games like Planetside 2 or the StarCitizen Hangar Module is abysmal. I know of people with significantly worse rigs than mine that can run Planetside 2 on highest settings. I can barely manage a steady 60 FPS on the lowest settings. The Hangar Module has FPS in the single digits when I turn the settings up.

I have contacted SOE support over the Planetside 2 issue and had no luck. After going through all kinds of things - from updating drivers, rolling back drivers, to analyzing the connectivity to their servers, nothing has been found wrong. I don't think it's something with either of these games - from what I've experienced the rig just never really performs like it should. I'm kind of worried that I might be missing something very obvious but I've yet to discover anything.

Any ideas? I can provide DXDiag if needed, no problem.

EDIT: Actually, as it'll probably be important, here it is: http://pastebin.com/DGQ5whtK

More about : weird performance problems powerful system

Best solution

April 12, 2014 5:14:04 PM

Reinstall windows , then the drivers that came with the mb , then the latest stable graphics driver
Share
April 13, 2014 1:24:31 AM

Hey, thanks for the answer, but is that just a standard answer or does it actually have to do with the information I posted? Reinstalling will take quite some time and I'd like to avoid it if possible.
m
0
l
Related resources
April 13, 2014 1:32:05 AM

enenra said:
Hey, thanks for the answer, but is that just a standard answer or does it actually have to do with the information I posted? Reinstalling will take quite some time and I'd like to avoid it if possible.


Outlander suggested you to reinstall incase you have corrupted your OS.
m
1
l
April 13, 2014 3:01:43 AM

Thanks. Yeah, haven't considered that yet. And thinking of all the things that have gone wrong before with my machines, not even unlikely.

I've started backing up stuff now but that will take a while.
m
0
l
April 13, 2014 4:36:07 AM

Suztera said:
enenra said:
Hey, thanks for the answer, but is that just a standard answer or does it actually have to do with the information I posted? Reinstalling will take quite some time and I'd like to avoid it if possible.


Outlander suggested you to reinstall incase you have corrupted your OS.


and because it would eliminate the possibility that you have a problem with software .
That is by far the most likely cause , but even if its not then eliminating it helps confirm you have a hardware issue
m
1
l
April 13, 2014 7:26:53 AM

I assume it's okay if I get the drivers from the manufacturer's webpage instead of the ones that physically came with the hardware? I don't have access to the disks right now.
m
0
l
April 13, 2014 7:35:45 AM

enenra said:
I assume it's okay if I get the drivers from the manufacturer's webpage instead of the ones that physically came with the hardware? I don't have access to the disks right now.


It is fine getting from the manufacturer's website as they would have the latest version uploaded unlike the cd drivers. Make sure you download them before the reinstallation to a USB or other storage means. You don't have to download all the drivers but get at least the ethernet lan drivers to allow internet access to download the rest.
I normally download all the latest drivers from the manufacturer and keep a updated copy incase i need to use it. Whenever you decide to keep updating the files depends on you.
m
0
l
April 13, 2014 7:44:02 AM

Suztera said:
enenra said:
I assume it's okay if I get the drivers from the manufacturer's webpage instead of the ones that physically came with the hardware? I don't have access to the disks right now.


It is fine getting from the manufacturer's website as they would have the latest version uploaded unlike the cd drivers. Make sure you download them before the reinstallation to a USB or other storage means. You don't have to download all the drivers but get at least the ethernet lan drivers to allow internet access to download the rest.
I normally download all the latest drivers from the manufacturer and keep a updated copy incase i need to use it. Whenever you decide to keep updating the files depends on you.


Thanks,

Yes, that is what I usually do and I'm working on right now. Luckily programs like ninite make the whole process a lot faster. :) 

m
0
l
April 13, 2014 7:52:40 AM

enenra,

I always like to try the simplest solutions first and you might check the power settings in Control Panel, if only to eliminate the possibility.

Using an HP z420 workstation purchased in December, I recently noticed terrible performance in all kinds of applications, google, and website loading was terrible. The system was almost unusable. I ran Passmark Performance Test and the system score had dropped from 3815 to 2239, with the CPU score dropping from 8890 to 5700. The odd thing was, the 2D graphics dropped to 767 to 612, but the 3D only changed from 2044 to 2000. > this all seemed too bizarre,..

I assumed some serious fault , perhaps the loss of half of the CPU cores. Then I called a friend in IT at an engineering office who asked- oddly- did I notice this on a Wednesday? Yes! It turned out that Windows update are done at 2AM on Wednesday mornings and a large number of people had had their power settings changed in the recent update to the most frugal setting, and this substantially hobbles the performance. I checked in Control Panel, saw it was set on ultra-tightwad- and reset to "Performance".

The "performance" setting never turns off the system or in other ways alters the power. Almost magically, the System had a Passmark rating of 3923, with CPU of 9237 and 2D went from 767 to 839- better benchmark scores than I'd ever seen.

This may not by your situation of course, but is worth having a look. Plus, I would suggest that anyone with recent, unexplained performance drops have a look at the power settings in case Windows Update decided to save power. Another performance note, performance on both my systems is really noticeable better- about 20% in Windows Basic than in Aero theme. the transparency and menu, box animations take a lo number crunching / pixel shifting- not worth it.

Good luck with it!

Cheers,

BambiBoom

HP z420 (2014) > Xeon E5-1620 quad core @ 3.6 / 3.8GHz > 24GB ECC 1600 RAM > Quadro 4000 (2GB)> Samsung 840 SSD 250GB /Western Digital Black WD1003FZEX 1TB> M-Audio 192 sound card > AE3000 USB WiFi > HP 2711X, 27" 1920 X 1080 > Windows 7 Ultimate 64 >[Passmark system rating = 3923, 2D= 839 / 3D=2048]

Dell Precision T5400 (2008) > 2X Xeon X5460 quad core @3.16GHz > 16GB ECC 667> Quadro FX 4800 (1.5GB) > WD RE4 500GB / Seagate Barracuda 500GB > M-Audio 2496 Sound Card / Linksys 600N WiFi > Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit >[Passmark system rating = 1859, 2D= 512 / 3D=1097]

2D, 3D CAD, Image Processing, Rendering, Text > Architecture, industrial design, graphic design, written projects
m
0
l
April 13, 2014 8:15:52 AM

@bambiboom
Thanks, I actually noticed they weren't on the highest settings. Sadly this has made almost no difference ingame - I'm still at ~10 FPS where I should be at 60+ FPS. :( 
m
0
l
April 14, 2014 3:00:49 PM

Ok, I have reinstalled windows, drivers etc. and noticed significant performance increases, awesome!

But still it is not running optimally I feel. There's still random hitching now and then and I can't play with everything on the highest settings and consistent 60 FPS. Though this may just be the actual limits of this system...
m
0
l