Solved

Any benefit in removing a HDD from an USB 3.0 enclosure and using SATA instead?

As title, I've got a Western Digital 2TB USB 3.0 My passport external HDD. I've now got space in my build to connect it via sata, would this bring any performance increase in terms of read/write speed?
6 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about benefit removing hdd usb enclosure sata
  1. Best answer
    Denz13 said:
    As title, I've got a Western Digital 2TB USB 3.0 My passport external HDD. I've now got space in my build to connect it via sata, would this bring any performance increase in terms of read/write speed?


    For that drive, yes. SATA is faster than USB.

    Assuming it actually works outside the enclosure. Most do, but some depend on the circuit board for operations, or are otherwise encrypted.
  2. That external drive is not designed for continuous use and you may have some problems if it is connected and used internally. Besides, doesn't it have to be plugged into a USB port? (not a SATA port).
  3. Ubrales said:
    That external drive is no designed for continuous use and you may have some problems if it is connected and used internally. Besides, doesn't it have to be plugged into a USB port? (not a SATA port).


    I've done it several times. Mostly, it's just a regular hard drive, with regular SATA connections.
  4. USAFRet said:
    Ubrales said:
    That external drive is no designed for continuous use and you may have some problems if it is connected and used internally. Besides, doesn't it have to be plugged into a USB port? (not a SATA port).


    I've done it several times. Mostly, it's just a regular hard drive, with regular SATA connections.


    I buy an ext. enclosure with a built-in fan and a WD Black HDD and assemble my own. I am not sure about the quality of the off-the-shelf drives; that's why.
  5. When you say the drive isn't designed for continuous use, how do the drives differ from a normal off the shelf sata drive? Other than being in an enclosure and USB of course.
  6. Denz13 said:
    When you say the drive isn't designed for continuous use, how do the drives differ from a normal off the shelf sata drive? Other than being in an enclosure and USB of course.


    The manufacturers do not use high quality premium HDDs in the off-the-shelf ext. drives. It is a commodity item, driven by price.
Ask a new question

Read More

SATA Storage USB3