Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

~$1500-$1700 First Gaming Build. **Opinions, expert input wanted!**

Last response: in Systems
Share
April 13, 2014 2:00:50 PM

Hey all,

I'm looking to move from consoles to my first gaming PC build. My budget is $1500-$1700 including all peripherals, monitor, OS, etc. It will be used mostly for gaming, with movie watching, streaming and internet use as well as other general use since this is my main PC. Looking to play most games at high or ultra at close to 60FPS on 1920X1080.

Here is what I've put together. Let me know if I'm missing anything, there are bottlenecks, or anything that sticks out (poor brand selection, etc). If I can save money on any parts while maintaining performance, let me know, I am open to all suggestions. I already have speakers and headphones (Sennheiser 558's).

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($222.00 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.98 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD4H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($159.99 @ Micro Center)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($64.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: PNY XLR8 240GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($54.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 3GB Video Card ($489.99 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT Phantom (White) ATX Full Tower Case ($100.25 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($79.50 @ Amazon)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($19.98 @ OutletPC)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ OutletPC)
Monitor: Asus VS238H-P 23.0" Monitor ($134.99 @ NCIX US)
Sound Card: Creative Labs Sound Blaster Z 70SB150200000 24-bit 192 KHz Sound Card ($83.02 @ TigerDirect)
Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link TL-WDN4800 802.11a/b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter ($40.99 @ Newegg)
Keyboard: Cooler Master CM Storm Devastator Gaming Bundle Wired Gaming Keyboard w/Optical Mouse ($36.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $1707.61

Thank you!
a c 274 4 Gaming
April 13, 2014 2:09:38 PM

First off ditch the sound card - it's a waste of money. PNY SSDs aren't that great but for $99 that is a seriously killer deal for one. Get a better PSU as well - that EVGA is actually a low end HEC which is a brand nobody should be purchasing if they want a serious gaming rig. Get at least a Seasonic G series, XFX Pro, or ideally a Super Flower model like an NZXT Hale 90.
m
0
l
April 13, 2014 2:28:26 PM

g-unit1111 said:
First off ditch the sound card - it's a waste of money. PNY SSDs aren't that great but for $99 that is a seriously killer deal for one. Get a better PSU as well - that EVGA is actually a low end HEC which is a brand nobody should be purchasing if they want a serious gaming rig. Get at least a Seasonic G series, XFX Pro, or ideally a Super Flower model like an NZXT Hale 90.


Thanks for the suggestions. I didn't initially have the sound card but some input I'd received mentioned it would still be useful especially for FPS's and better audio positioning as well as for the headphone amp. The mobo's sound is good enough? I'll check out different PSU's, the brand recommendations are especially helpful since I have no idea who is and isn't a solid buy.

m
0
l
Related resources
a c 274 4 Gaming
April 13, 2014 3:43:36 PM

Hypernike said:
Thanks for the suggestions. I didn't initially have the sound card but some input I'd received mentioned it would still be useful especially for FPS's and better audio positioning as well as for the headphone amp. The mobo's sound is good enough? I'll check out different PSU's, the brand recommendations are especially helpful since I have no idea who is and isn't a solid buy.


Yeah most motherboard on board audio is fine for most uses. Only if you're using super high end audio equipment any more do you need a sound card. As far as the power supply goes, avoid the Corsair CX and EVGA Super Nova (sub 850W) series, They may have good store reviews, but most store reviews are pretty useless in my opinion.

For your budget here's what I would suggest:
- Seasonic G 750W: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
- Cooler Master V 850W: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
- NZXT Hale 90 850W: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
- PC Power & Cooling Silencer MKIII 850W: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA4H8...

These may be a bit steep compared to what you have but if you drop the sound card that should give you enough to afford one of the above, which will be better should you decide to SLI that GTX 780 later on.
m
0
l
April 13, 2014 8:13:39 PM

g-unit1111 said:
Hypernike said:
Thanks for the suggestions. I didn't initially have the sound card but some input I'd received mentioned it would still be useful especially for FPS's and better audio positioning as well as for the headphone amp. The mobo's sound is good enough? I'll check out different PSU's, the brand recommendations are especially helpful since I have no idea who is and isn't a solid buy.


Yeah most motherboard on board audio is fine for most uses. Only if you're using super high end audio equipment any more do you need a sound card. As far as the power supply goes, avoid the Corsair CX and EVGA Super Nova (sub 850W) series, They may have good store reviews, but most store reviews are pretty useless in my opinion.

For your budget here's what I would suggest:
- Seasonic G 750W: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
- Cooler Master V 850W: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
- NZXT Hale 90 850W: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
- PC Power & Cooling Silencer MKIII 850W: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA4H8...

These may be a bit steep compared to what you have but if you drop the sound card that should give you enough to afford one of the above, which will be better should you decide to SLI that GTX 780 later on.


Good stuff. Swapped for the Seasonic and removed the sound card. You'd mentioned the SSD isn't a great brand but is a good deal, what brands are quality for SSD? Is the Asus monitor pretty good?(mainly picked for good value and low response time) My other consideration is staying at 1080x1920 or should I spring for 1440?

m
0
l

Best solution

a c 274 4 Gaming
April 13, 2014 9:32:09 PM

Hypernike said:
Good stuff. Swapped for the Seasonic and removed the sound card. You'd mentioned the SSD isn't a great brand but is a good deal, what brands are quality for SSD? Is the Asus monitor pretty good?(mainly picked for good value and low response time) My other consideration is staying at 1080x1920 or should I spring for 1440?


PNY uses the Sandforce 2.0 controller which is known to have errors and BSODs associated with them. Here's a few SSDs I would recommend:

- OCZ Vertex 460: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
- Plextor M5S: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
- Samsung 840 Evo: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
- Crucial M500: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

As far as the monitor goes Asus makes excellent monitors, I have a 23.6" monitor and it's great, definitely worth the money I paid for it. If you want 1440 and have the money to spare for it, definitely go for it.
Share
April 13, 2014 10:32:47 PM

Thanks again and made the changes. Here is what I have it as now, if it looks good, I'll probably order in the next couple days.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($222.00 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.98 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD4H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($159.99 @ Micro Center)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($64.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($139.99 @ Best Buy)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($54.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 3GB Video Card ($489.99 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT Phantom (White) ATX Full Tower Case ($100.25 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: SeaSonic G-750 750W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($120.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($19.98 @ OutletPC)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ OutletPC)
Monitor: Asus VS247H-P 23.6" Monitor ($157.00 @ Amazon)
Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link TL-WDN4800 802.11a/b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter ($40.99 @ Newegg)
Keyboard: Cooler Master CM Storm Devastator Gaming Bundle Wired Gaming Keyboard w/Optical Mouse ($36.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $1728.08
m
0
l
!