Solved

fx 8350/fx9370 power consumption?

Does it really put a bullet in my wallet if I overclock?
30 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about 8350 fx9370 power consumption
  1. The FX-8350 does not use as much power as the FX-9370, but your computer will use more power than if it was a different CPU (such as a high powered intel one for a similar price). If you overclock, you better bet you have a great motherboard that is known to be good for overclocking. Hope this helps.
  2. Will an Fx 8350 by worth more than a 4670k in the long run?
  3. Jeff Baffalo said:
    Will an Fx 8350 by worth more than a 4670k in the long run?

It depends on what you are trying to achieve on your computer. the 4670K achieves hyperthreaded applications far better than the FX, but the FX has more threads to support multithreaded applications better, so multitasking is better on this one.
  4. Depends on what you do mainly. For gaming its a tossup now with dx12 being written from scratch around cores
  5. If i was to use this for gaming would the power come in handy? would the energy bill be worth it?
  6. Best answer
    Jeff Baffalo said:
    If i was to use this for gaming would the power come in handy? would the energy bill be worth it?

It would be handy. Current games are starting to take advantage of more cores (like CryEngine3), so the FX-8350 would be better. However, the i5 is much more well rounded and performs pretty well in everything. However, not many games take full use of hyperthreading. I use the FX-8350 for gaming a lot, and it works great for everything. It's up to you whether the power bill is worth it. Chances are, unless you are stressing out your CPU 24/7 in Prime95 or something, your power bill will not significantly go up.
  7. If your in Walmart in the near future, flip to the back pages PC Gamer magazine(May issue).
    They reviewed 7 CPU's, the 8350 being one of them.

It's an honest review in print, no internet:)
  8. Would a stock 8350, hyper 212 evo and a gtx 770 or r9 280x be good enough to play most games maxed out at 1080p?
  9. Jeff Baffalo said:
    Would a stock 8350, hyper 212 evo and a gtx 770 or r9 280x be good enough to play most games maxed out at 1080p?

Yes.
  10. There was an entire video on this. Please watch, it will explain better than any of us:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4et7kDGSRfc

It's about AMD vs Intel, but it will explain the cost difference between overclocking on each one. Just focus on the AMD OC.
  11. gumbykid said:
    There was an entire video on this. Please watch, it will explain better than any of us:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4et7kDGSRfc

The explanations are hidden throughout the video, best to just watch the whole thing.

This video. This video explains things very well, and in my honest opinion, provides a non-biased viewpoint on both.
  12. if i wanted to oc an 8350, why wouldn't i just buy a fx9370? a local computer store is selling them for $210 which is only $10 cheaper than a 4670k.
  13. Jeff Baffalo said:
    if i wanted to oc an 8350, why wouldn't i just buy a fx9370? a local computer store is selling them for $210 which is only $10 cheaper than a 4670k.

If you can do that, then go for it. However, GET A MOTHERBOARD THAT SUPPORTS THAT CPU! Your motherboard will heat up and the CPU will not work if you cannot get the correct motherboard. Buy a good aftermarket heatsink too, cause that thing will HEAT UP like it's nobody's business.
  14. Yes, but doing some research some website show the 9370's power bills are double of a 4670k.
  15. Jeff Baffalo said:
    Yes, but doing some research some website show the 9370's power bills are double of a 4670k.

That is true. However, the raw power of the 9370 is very very large. The 8350 has a good clock and is good for OC'ing, and has a lower power bill. The real question is between 4670k and 8350.
  16. Judging by the video a stock fx 8350 vs the stock 4670k is only like $20, I think it is a good trade off. Thanks for help everyone.
  17. Jeff Baffalo said:
    Judging by the video a stock fx 8350 vs the stock 4670k is only like $20, I think it is a good trade off. Thanks for help everyone.

Any time. Message me if you have any more questions.
  18. xexoxif please tell me you are not overclocking your fx cpu on that msi board you have? i made the mistake of buying this cheap board it was a bargain really but then i started reading the reviews and it has such a high failure rate with his 4+1 powerphase and cheap vrm's i've read that even at stock clock speed and voltage my fx-8320 was bound to fail on this board and it was possible that it would take down the cpu with it so i ordered an fx6300 for cheap and sold it and i got a nice gigabite 970a-ud3p wich has an 8+2 powerphase and high quality vrm's and mosfets this board will sustain even the highest overclocks and was 89$...only 20$ more than i paid for the 970a-g46...
  19. paitjsu sadff said:
    xexoxif please tell me you are not overclocking your fx cpu on that msi board you have? i made the mistake of buying this cheap board it was a bargain really but then i started reading the reviews and it has such a high failure rate with his 4+1 powerphase and cheap vrm's i've read that even at stock clock speed and voltage my fx-8320 was bound to fail on this board and it was possible that it would take down the cpu with it so i ordered an fx6300 for cheap and sold it and i got a nice gigabite 970a-ud3p wich has an 8+2 powerphase and high quality vrm's and mosfets this board will sustain even the highest overclocks and was 89$...only 20$ more than i paid for the 970a-g46...

I wouldn't DARE overclock on this board. Ever.
  20. ok great i was just making sure you where aware...you should switch board or underclock and undervolt your 8350 cause it might cost you a cpu....
  21. paitjsu sadff said:
    ok great i was just making sure you where aware...you should switch board or underclock and undervolt your 8350 cause it might cost you a cpu....

I was aware. I don't know why I would need to switch, this motherboard has been running fine with an 8350 in it for 5 months. Plus I do not know how to underclock or undervolt.
  22. it will run fine until it goes wrong and something fail in the cpu power delivery system and when it happens it can fry your cpu...
  23. paitjsu sadff said:
    it will run fine until it goes wrong and something fail in the cpu power delivery system and when it happens it can fry your cpu...

Just curious, how would it go wrong? Even if something did go wrong, the CPU would throttle and the computer would turn off.
  24. i saw a video oj youtube the guy was using fx8350 for a couple month and he filmed the computer tuning on and fan spinning and it was a vrm failure this board has the highest vrm failure rate btw and in the comments he posted that he ordered a new mobo but hes cpu was dead too...that's the day i oredred my 970a-ud3p...i could fing you the link but im on my wiiu atm so i cant copy and paste links...
  25. now the vrms can fail at any time at normal temps underload and destroy the core of your cpu by instant overvoltage...its quick and very effective...
  26. paitjsu sadff said:
    i saw a video oj youtube the guy was using fx8350 for a couple month and he filmed the computer tuning on and fan spinning and it was a vrm failure this board has the highest vrm failure rate btw and in the comments he posted that he ordered a new mobo but hes cpu was dead too...that's the day i oredred my 970a-ud3p...i could fing you the link but im on my wiiu atm so i cant copy and paste links...

Thank you for your interests. I will look into upgrading my motherboard.
  27. paitjsu sadff said:
    now the vrms can fail at any time at normal temps underload and destroy the core of your cpu by instant overvoltage...its quick and very effective...

I understand that. If it hasn't happened already, then I don't think it will happen soon. But I will upgrade motherboards soon. Thanks for the info.
  28. you should as you also have a great CPU cooler so that would allow you to get all the performance out of you FX cpu...this cpu you have could run at least at 4.6ghz maybe even more without any heat or throttling problems providing you have descent air flow in your case...try to sell your motheboard to the most offering as this motherboard is still perfectly fine for FX-43xx or FX-63xx CPU's...this will get you some money towards a new mobo, i'd suggest the gigabyte 970a-ud3p: http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4717#ov
    it's the best 970 motherboard that suits such a CPU, in fact it was designed with the idea of running the FX-9370 and FX-9590 chips safely, everything related to CPU power distribution on this board has been beefed up by gigabyte to make sure it's safe to use and overclock on it...and i really like the bios they did an awesome job on it and it supports every overclocking feature found on high-end 990FX boards :http://www.ncixus.com/products/?sku=91489&vpn=GA-970A-UD3P&manufacture=Gigabyte
    it's sad cause up to yesterday this same board was only 89$ on this website...maybe you can find it cheaper somewhere else...
  29. Xexoxix said:
    Jeff Baffalo said:
    Would a stock 8350, hyper 212 evo and a gtx 770 or r9 280x be good enough to play most games maxed out at 1080p?

Yes.

yes the 8350 and the i5/i7 will be able to handle any game out right now for PC. The only time you will feel a difference is in benchmarks. The i5 and 8 core FX chip are some of the most high end consumer chips out there right now (ill leave out 6 and 8 core intels as most people don't have that yet.)
    Just realize that the 8350 + 30$ for a Hyper 212 is pretty much the same price as the i5 4670k with stock cooler.

for all intents and purposes, and its been said many times over, The FX 8350=i5 4670k when it comes to gaming comparisons. The FX 8350 is only *better* if you do anything besides gaming, like 3D modeling, rendering, video edits, streaming and recording gameplay. etc. ANNNDD gaming, then more cores makes total sense. if you have 0 interest in those things, and gaming will be the most intensive thing you do, the i5 4670k will hold its value longer for most games. DX12 is was written from scratch to actually utilize multiple cores (effectively), by 2015 DX12 will roll around and DX12 games might take some time afterwards to become mainstream. If that's the case the FX 8350 might have the edge, but for games up until then the i5 will have the slight edge (at least in frame dips, im not willing to argue about 1 or 2 more frames in max framerate, its the dips you notice. )

just realize at the end of the day, normal consumers and gamers WONT notice the difference. period. IF you are into benchmarking (I personally am a performance freak) you might be able to quantify a difference then. but moot none the less.
  30. Beezy said:
    Xexoxix said:
    Jeff Baffalo said:

Yes.

yes the 8350 and the i5/i7 will be able to handle any game out right now for PC. The only time you will feel a difference is in benchmarks. The i5 and 8 core FX chip are some of the most high end consumer chips out there right now (ill leave out 6 and 8 core intels as most people don't have that yet.)
    Just realize that the 8350 + 30$ for a Hyper 212 is pretty much the same price as the i5 4670k with stock cooler.

for all intents and purposes, and its been said many times over, The FX 8350=i5 4670k when it comes to gaming comparisons. The FX 8350 is only *better* if you do anything besides gaming, like 3D modeling, rendering, video edits, streaming and recording gameplay. etc. ANNNDD gaming, then more cores makes total sense. if you have 0 interest in those things, and gaming will be the most intensive thing you do, the i5 4670k will hold its value longer for most games. DX12 is was written from scratch to actually utilize multiple cores (effectively), by 2015 DX12 will roll around and DX12 games might take some time afterwards to become mainstream. If that's the case the FX 8350 might have the edge, but for games up until then the i5 will have the slight edge (at least in frame dips, im not willing to argue about 1 or 2 more frames in max framerate, its the dips you notice. )

just realize at the end of the day, normal consumers and gamers WONT notice the difference. period. IF you are into benchmarking (I personally am a performance freak) you might be able to quantify a difference then. but moot none the less.

abolutely agree with everything that was said there...that's exactly what i'm experiencing i have a core i7 4770 in my desktop at work and it play games the same way my FX-8320 does...some games do suffer of more occasional dips on the 8320 but those are mostly old games or games based on old engines that use only 1 or 2 heavy threads like skyrim modded or thief for example...anything that use 3 or more threads both CPU chews that down like butter with no significant frame drops caused by the CPU even on a high end gpu like the GTX780 overclocked that i'm using.
    When it comes down to day to day task for my work tho the core i7 is doing much better in pretty much anything..this is why this CPU was put down in my office PC i would have never bought a 350$+ cpu for gaming anyway...
Ask a new question

Read More

Overclocking Power Consumption CPUs Bullet