R9 290: Display Driver has stopped responding

Xiphura

Reputable
Apr 14, 2014
I have recently gotten a new Graphics Card, the AMD R9 290 and it runs games exceptionally but it crashes frequently all the games I play: Battlefield 4, Payday 2, Call of Duty etc.
I have gotten the most recent drivers and used Driver Sweep to clear my old ones. It does get very loud when playing games so i am presuming very hot. If anyone has had this problem please tell me how to solve this issue and don't tell me to update drivers because i already have or can you tell me where i could go to get more in depth advice.

Thanks, Tom.

Solution
i had similiar problem but i never crash in games, it just somehow the core clock are dips down for a brief moment then goes up again, only affect little fps though but if u sharp enough or really into in gaming......u will notice it.

before is worse, core clock always dip with no apparent reason lol
i'm using MSI R9 290 Gaming 4G.
overclocking it using MSI Afterburner.
stable at: 1100Mhz Core and 1400Mhz Memory

it was only the heat problem, even with Advanced TwinFrozer, it run so hot, almost reach 90'C.
i live on tropical island lol

tried using Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU) from Guru3D to clean the driver.
and use the 13.2 WHQL driver.
i use that driver....
set power limit to 50% to minimize core downclock.
if still crash, maybe...

Egitel

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2013
I had this problem recently with a GTX 770, over many drivers going back to last July. I recently acquired another 770 and decided to swap them out and the problem went away, so I RMA'd that card. You may have to do the same with yours, but it's hard to say unless you have another card you can swap out to test.

Draguila

Honorable
Apr 21, 2013
i had similiar problem but i never crash in games, it just somehow the core clock are dips down for a brief moment then goes up again, only affect little fps though but if u sharp enough or really into in gaming......u will notice it.

before is worse, core clock always dip with no apparent reason lol
i'm using MSI R9 290 Gaming 4G.
overclocking it using MSI Afterburner.
stable at: 1100Mhz Core and 1400Mhz Memory

it was only the heat problem, even with Advanced TwinFrozer, it run so hot, almost reach 90'C.
i live on tropical island lol

tried using Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU) from Guru3D to clean the driver.
and use the 13.2 WHQL driver.
i use that driver....
set power limit to 50% to minimize core downclock.
if still crash, maybe the card.

though,my 290 is having BSOD whenever i do same certain thing that will trigger it, if i avoid it, no BSOD until now. i don't want to RMA the card T__T
hope its just driver......

Solution