FX 6300 or i3 3220

ganudvd

Reputable
Mar 12, 2014
Ps4 and Xbox use AmD 's CPU
Nowadays games are first made for consoles and then for if I'm right??
If they make a game for optimizing 8 cores of PS4 and X1
Can it happen that future games may give better performance on Fx processor due to Fx having 6 cores or above than the i3 or i5 having 2-4 cores

Solution
Could we please leave the discussion of gaming PC vs console out of this thread please, we are trying to get somewhere with the OP atm and this does not help at all...please discuss this on another thread if possible or use the PM function to do so...

The builds we are looking at will provide much better performance then any gaming console and will allow to play games on high/ultra settings @60FPS with anti-aliasing whereas the next gen consoles currently play them on high settings but as the games will evolve on those platforms the settings will drop to low/medium with excessive amount of motion blur and aliasing and FPS will also drop to 45 and then 30fps and games will come out supporting only 720p resolutions as it was the case...

Egitel

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2013

In regards to them making games for consoles first, and then for PC, that's only the case sometimes. As of right now, I don't think any game uses all 8 cores of a processor, and even if they did that doesn't put Intel's quad-cores at a disadvantage. Intel processors have much better single core performance, and also have something called "Hyperthreading" which basically makes each core look like two to the OS. So my quad-core shows up as having eight cores in Windows. The separate "logical cores" don't actually operate to the full extent an additional physical core would, but with Intel's single core performance being higher, it's more than sufficient to make up for the difference. All that said, in regards to the i3-3220 vs the AMD FX-6300, yes the FX-6300 is definitely the better processor.

Edit: Oh, and Xbone/PS4 using AMD processors is nothing more than a business decision. AMD processors are cheaper than Intel processors, and Sony/Microsoft need to produce millions of consoles.

AnEwG

Honorable
Dec 31, 2013

Yes I am sure. And I think I gave him a good advice as well. If he is planning to play console ports he may as well buy a console. Consoles have exclusive titles that will never be released for PC. They cost less and can outlive a gaming PC that will need at least a graphics card upgrade in 2 to 3 years.

Egitel

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2013

Depends on how you build the gaming PC, really. And a PC you build today will still play games at a higher quality than a console 2-3 years from now, even without upgrades, but to each his own.

Remixex

Reputable
Mar 18, 2014
FX 6300 no doubt, it is a low price point, and Intel can't compete with low price points, so if you are tight on budget go with the FX 6300, it is the same that happened to me and i don't regret it c:

AnEwG

Honorable
Dec 31, 2013

There is a difference between a quad core i5 with 4 physical cores and an i3 with hyper threading. Basically with hyper threading each physical core is operating as 2 logical cores sharing the resources of a single core so it operates slower than the i5. With keeping that on mind Intel superior single threaded performance doesn't matter in most gaming situations when comparing the FX chip to the i3, in fact in a well threaded title the FX chip can win by a decent lead. Not to mentions that DirectX 12 is being released in less than 2 years time, and is claimed to be much better well threaded than its poorly multi threaded predecessor (according to Microsoft).

On the other hand the the single threaded superiority of the Intel chips can be really beneficial in some situations, like poorly threaded games for example or emulation programs like Dolphin that can only use 2 or 3 cores at best.

Egitel

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2013

Oh, I know. I was referring to quad-core i5s with Hyperthreading in that example, specifically, in response to the question about whether or not FX were by default better for gaming because of having more physical cores.

Poprin

Honorable
Dec 13, 2012
I think if you are on a budget go AMD every time, I've got an FX-4100 at home as a media PC (strange choice I know but I game on it a bit as well) and although that processor is widely regarded as totally sh** it amazes me how well it performs in loads of games. Also it runs cooler than my i7 using a stock Phenom cooler and my I7 has a noctua tower cooler on it!

The big problem AMD has v's Intel is single threaded performance, if they could sort that out they would actually compete properly toe-to-toe. Ironically the Phenom II's actually outperform the FX series in single threaded performance!

BUT there is lots of evidence to suggest that performance of FX series processors is vastly improved in Win8 due to even better multi-threaded support and I have seen some promising reviews regarding Mantle recently that has shown even the FX-4100 outperforming an i7 using the same GPU on the mantle API.

AnEwG

Honorable
Dec 31, 2013

I don't want to turn that into a PC VS. Console thread, but it is not a personal point of view it is more of a fact. First, to build a system with PS4 capability you will have to exceed the PS4 price by at least $200. Then saying that in two years time a graphics card won't be outdated to run games at 1080p but will even run games better than a console by that time is simply not true as evident by previous consoles. People keep forgetting that this is not just about (stronger hardware) it is about the fact that a PC and a console are two different platforms. A console is built and optimized to run games, developers give more attention to Consoles as platforms because it is easier to design and code a game to a SINGLE platform, with PC there are endless combinations of hardware and software (drivers) and they can't optimize performance for all of them at the same time. Not to mention that consoles provide low level access to hardware for the developers, something that the current version of DirectX the main gaming platform on PC doesn't do. A PC is a multipurpose platform and is great for gaming as well but IMO it is simply pointless to build a PC to only play games you can get on consoles (plus exclusives you will never be able to play on your PC) for more money and less longevity. The only good point about a gaming PC in such a case is that you will be able to get games cheaper than with the console.

Poprin

Honorable
Dec 13, 2012

WOW really? You think you are so correct that it's a fact? OK a PC to perform the same as a PS4 may cost you slightly more, however you are likely to recoup a lot of those costs in the purchase price of games as you clearly state in your pro console rant. Also you will have access to a massive game library with a PC. I used to be an Xbox gamer, I mean dedicated xbox gamer! I also owned a PS3. On release of next gen I promised to not buy a console again. Why? Because my inventory of 76 Xbox 360 games will end up in my loft along with my inventory of 40 something original Xbox games never to be played again. Not to mention the fact that my £300 Star Wars special edition Xbox 360 is likely worth nothing now upon release of the Xbox One. So is it cheaper? If you look at the big picture I don't think it is a clear 'fact'

Egitel

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2013

On the subject of exclusive titles, I mean.. it's not as though Xbone or PS4 are absolutely brimming with amazing exclusives that we're all sadly missing out on. There's maybe a couple quality exclusives per console. Also, you do realize that the consoles use DirectX as well, right? Sure, consoles are dedicated gaming machines (sort of, they still have resources dedicated to other things these days, like TV shows, internet, etc.) but so are gaming PCs. Pretty much the sole purpose of a discrete graphics card is gaming. Yeah, they have other uses sure, but that's what they're sold as, and it's what the drivers are developed for, etc. etc.In any case, a high-end or even a mid-range gaming PC you build today will absolutely still outperform a console 2-3 years from now, mainly because games just look better on PC, and it's not as if consoles are made of some magical hardware that doesn't become dated. It's made with the same tech/hardware that gaming PCs are, they just can't be updated (not counting hacks here, obviously). Hell, games still look better on my Dell XPS 410 than my Xbox 360, and I bought that in '07, admittedly I upgraded the graphics/RAM, but the RAM isn't going to make a huge difference, and the GPU is a Radeon HD 5770, which is still a 4.5 year old card now. As far as drivers are concerned, you basically have two main groups of drivers to worry about, AMD/Nvidia. Typically you use the same driver per brand regardless of what physical card you're running, so it's not as though there are piles and piles of drivers to worry about, the main issue is going to come from operating systems, but even then, Nvidia uses the same drivers for multiple operating systems. I'm not 100% sure on AMD because it's been awhile since I've checked. And as far as console ports go, in most cases, they're absolutely still worth playing on PC. Prime example is Skyrim. Skyrim is obviously a console port, no question, but I don't think anyone would suggest for a second that it's a better experience on a console. Console has its advantages, sure. But power, performance, graphics, etc. are not among them. Longevity is only an advantage if you consider being stuck with the same hardware for the better part of a decade an advantage. Think about how much better games would look on consoles if they were upgraded every say.. 3 years, instead of every 6-8 years.

AnEwG

Honorable
Dec 31, 2013

I would take you on that. That which is that you can actually build a 'slightly' more expensive gaming PC that can beat and outlive the PS4. Another reason to get console is that some of the greatest gaming titles that were released during the last decade were console exclusives. MGS4, The last of Us and Uncharted to name a few. If you take a look at PC games you will find out that most of them are already console ports. You may as well end up spending more money as a part of the initial cost of the PC, parts upgrades and games. And then some people don't even buy this many games to start with!

Egitel

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2013
Also, forgot to point out before: You keep mentioning exclusives, without touching on the fact that there are for more exclusive titles on the PC then there will ever be for consoles.

Edit: Oh, and building an equivalent PC only costs you more right now, because the next-gen consoles just came out. After some time it will be easy to build a better PC for the same money.

Poprin

Honorable
Dec 13, 2012
Just to get back on topic, regarding my post above reference mantle, etc. I would choose the FX-6300. For the following reasons:
-The single threaded capabilities of Intel are becoming less of an issue with newer games
-Dual Core CPU's are just plain not cutting the mustard anymore, even with hyperthreading
-New innovations with Mantle and just the general performance boosts from Windows 8 with AMD architecture make them a much better option than they ever used to be.
-everyone loves an underdog!

AnEwG

Honorable
Dec 31, 2013

The PS4 has only been released 5 months ago so sure there are only a few exclusives at the moment but more will come, and not necessarily PS4 exclusives but console exclusives. Only a couple of quality exclusives per console? You do realize that some of the most selling and most successful titles during the last generation were console exclusives, right? Beside the games I mentioned before there is Heavy Rain, Red Dead Redemption not to mention that a game like GTA V was never officially announced for the PC. I would say that is a little more than a couple of titles per console. Were people with high end PC hardware able to play these games at that time? No. Why would PS4 use DirectX? Maybe Xbox does because it is made by Microsoft but PS4 doesn't use DirectX, Also Xbox has a different hardware than your typical put together PC so even if they both use DirectX that doesn't mean that they work the same, if that was the case, porting a game from Xbox to PC would have been a cinch which certainly is not the case. Have you seen games released at the end of the PS3 life? Games like the Last Of Us and GTA 5 looked amazing on 8 years old hardware. Why? Because like I said Consoles and PC ARE DIFFERENT PLATFORMS. You can't compare a mid to high range PC to a console because even if theoretically the PC has stronger hardware it still doesn't perform or work the same way console hardware does. I only need to see how much fps boost games get from Mantle a low level access API to understand the difference between programming for PC and programming for a console. So no, 3 years from now, the graphics card will need to be upgraded to still be able to play modern games at 1080p. And that would be a mid range card above the 200 USD mark. A lower card will even be outdated sooner than that.
"Hell, games still look better on my Dell XPS 410 than my Xbox 360" Can you be more specific? What games exactly? Did they run as smoothly on a dual core processor? I have seen benchmarks with the core2duo made in 2013 and it wasn't doing very well in gaming when compared to even newer dual core PentiumG chips.

AnEwG

Honorable
Dec 31, 2013

Will you be kind enough to mention some of them? Unless you are talking about real time strategy games which is a big chance the OP is not even interested in, I can hardly think of a single exclusive PC title that is even slightly more appealing to me than any of the console exclusive titles I have mentioned. But maybe it is just me.

AnEwG

Honorable
Dec 31, 2013

No, even overclocked it won't be able to beat the i3 in Cinebench single-threaded benchmarks perhaps? But in gaming it doesn't need to be overclocked at all unless it is a really poorly threaded game.

Poprin

Honorable
Dec 13, 2012
AnEwG you have officially made this a console V's PC thread. OP get the FX-6300!

Console gaming is for people who don't think gaming is cool, but now it's ok because everyone does it sat on the couch shouting at people on the other side of the world playing COD and telling them how fat their mother is. Console gaming is killing gaming, it's bringing out people that want to profit from churning out tat for the big publishers. Yes you can throw 'the last of us' in my face but that's an exception to the rule. Things sell well because idiots buy them. Console gaming brought gaming into the mainstream which is great, but then the mainstream killed it. The future of gaming needs PC enthusiasts. If someone wants to game on a PC don't discourage them with the console easymode. PC gaming is real gaming, where people are innovating and creating games that will hopefully once again be masterpieces (Roberts Space Industries I'm looking at you don't let me down!) and console gaming is killing the gaming industry. When we are all playing 'Codern Battlefield 87: Shoot more stuff edition' you'll be wishing more people got back into PC gaming and breathed some life back into the industry!

AnEwG

Honorable
Dec 31, 2013

That is exactly my point. When I was talking about exclusives I meant there weren't any innovation in most games made for PC anymore, they have all just become a reiteration of the same first person shooter. The REALLY GOOD GAMES are released only for consoles and except for a few titles now and then there is nothing new. But where I and you don't agree is that I still think that a console is a good choice for gaming because not everyone is a PC enthusiast who can afford spending their money on expensive PC hardware and upgrades. For some people a console is the right choice or at least that is what I think.