$100 Improvement Budget for Gaming, any advice?

mozaic4132

Reputable
Apr 6, 2014
So I managed to get this guy to sell me this computer for $180. This is what he said about the specs (not my spellimg/grammar, just copied and pasted):

Asus m2r32mvp (crossfire board) 3 gbs adata ddr2, antec 380 psu, 160gb wd hdd, dvd rw drive, ati radeon 4850 asus 1gb, I don't remeber the CPU

So, I like to play games like The Old Republic/WoW and Portal. I'd like to dabble in other games, but TOR really has my heart. So, I'm willing to spend $100 in upgrades for this computer. Alternately the graphics card can handle Star Wars as well as I want it to do I'm fine with that, maybe. Anything you guys think I should get on fixing when I get it? And what pays should I fix and what should I swap out?

Thanks in Advance!

I wouldn't invest anything more into that PC. 3GB of memory is fine. The 160GB is small, but probably just fine to hold your games. The HD 4850 is pretty old, but as you noted is perfectly fine for what you are after. Questioning the Antec 380w PSU though... that should have had trouble when a game would max out the system (the HD 4850 will consume up to 250w). Maybe a new PSU is where you spend your money... a new PSU will carry forward to a new build down the road.

synthaside

Distinguished
May 2, 2011
Find out the CPU , there's a good chance with that board its an old AMD FX x2 or x4 from 9 series which are actually really great cpu's clock and core wise.

Just the internal pipeline and cache / thus throughput that it lacks compared to the modern chips

Find out before you consider spending any more money on it because you may be at the the limits of what the CPU can handle

So my advice is to find out .... run CPUZ which will tell you all the
information about the system ( downloadable here) http://www.cpuid.com/downloads/cpu-z/1.69-setup-en.exe

Let me know what the chip is and then we can see what the best thing to upgrade is to get the most bang for your 100 USD