$1000 Next Gen Build- Recommended

alex2000261yeah

Honorable
Feb 10, 2013
Hello, I am showing to you a next gen proof build I have been working on for about a week. I have been mainly looking at rumours and released specs about next gen and looking at the current specifications of the current consoles. These parts are oriented around what is believed to be parts that will work very well in next gen, please leave your opinions. To kick off the build we have a FX-8350 processor. This Is due to the fact the xbox one and PS4 are currently using 8 core processors, and Intel are rumoured to be in the making of them. This means many PC ports and games that are made for both the console and PC platform will be optimised for 8 core processors. This part is also quite cheap and very overclockable. This overclocking power can be unleashed with the hyper master 212 evo, which can be swapped out for a liquid cooler depending in the buyers preference. Next we move on to the motherboard. This asrock is picked as it provides many advanced features, including crossfire support, and all at a very good price. After this we come onto the subject of ram. Here we are using dual channel g skill ram, with 8GB available. This could be upgraded to 16GB as it is rumoured the next gen games and GPUs may access more ram, or in the GPUs case, ram in general as it doesn't currently access system ram.
We now move onto storage. I will not go into detail about these components as I feel it is not necessary, but basically we have a nice and cheap 128gb SSD for windows and games and a 1TB sea gate (amazing price) for other files and pictures. Now we take a look at the graphics card. We are picking an MSI R9. 280X with 6GB of VRAM. This card is picked as the next gen consoles use AMD cards and therefore most games will be optimised for AMD cards.AMD also currently have mantle. The reason for the 6GB of ram is because the next gen games are predicted to use more than 4GB of VRAM. Therefore the standard 3GB would not be sufficient. Next we have the cooler master elite 431 mid tower case. This is a nice case for a cheap price with a transparent window on the side to show off your parts.Then we have the bronze rated 750 watt PSU from corsair. I have picked the modular version as I tell you from experience, when you start to add more components, non modular cables are an absolute nightmare! Next we have the asus optical drive, why was it picked? It was cheap! But good. Thanks for reading about my build. I recommended that if your a looking for a PC suitable for next gen for this price range that you seriously consider this build. However I would recommend you wait for the maxwell GPUs from nvidia and 9000 series from AMD, as they would be most suitable for next gen, especially AMD as they are a step ahead as they build the GPUs for the next gen consoles. Thanks and here is the parts in PCPartPicker with all the prices:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks\
\
CPU: AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core Processor ($179.00 @ Amazon) \
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.98 @ OutletPC) \
Motherboard: ASRock 990FX Extreme3 ATX AM3+/AM3 Motherboard ($94.99 @ Newegg) \
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($74.99 @ Newegg) \
Storage: A-Data Premier Pro SP900 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($69.99 @ TigerDirect) \
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($54.98 @ OutletPC) \
Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 280X 6GB Video Card ($399.99 @ Newegg) \
Case: Cooler Master Elite 431 Plus (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ Amazon) \
Power Supply: Corsair CX 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($77.99 @ Micro Center) \
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD/CD Writer ($14.99 @ Newegg) \
Total: $1026.89\
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)\

Solution
There is no such thing as next-gen proof.

MANY games still prefer 4 powerful cores over 8 average cores making the i5 better in alot of places. console games have very little to do with PC games so the whole 8 core thing is not really valid. Most PC games prefer 4 better cores over 8 weaker cores.

The PSU you chose is not good. Chane it to an XFX, Antec, Seasonic, Corsair (not CX, CS, RM)

That GPU is a HUGE waste of money. Anything over 3gb is pointless for 1080p, and a 280x is not even powerful enough to use more than 3gb. The 6gb models are SOLELY for crossfire. Again, at 1080p, there is no need for more than 3gb Vram. Those predictions you are seeing are made for OVER 1080p. And if you are playing at more than 1080p, you are...
There is no such thing as next-gen proof.

MANY games still prefer 4 powerful cores over 8 average cores making the i5 better in alot of places. console games have very little to do with PC games so the whole 8 core thing is not really valid. Most PC games prefer 4 better cores over 8 weaker cores.

The PSU you chose is not good. Chane it to an XFX, Antec, Seasonic, Corsair (not CX, CS, RM)

That GPU is a HUGE waste of money. Anything over 3gb is pointless for 1080p, and a 280x is not even powerful enough to use more than 3gb. The 6gb models are SOLELY for crossfire. Again, at 1080p, there is no need for more than 3gb Vram. Those predictions you are seeing are made for OVER 1080p. And if you are playing at more than 1080p, you are probably not getting a single 280x anyway. A single 6gb 280x for $99 more than a 3gb one is a VERY poor choice.

The case is pretty low quality compared to the rest of the build.

Also, your AMD vs. nVidia comment holds no ground. AGAIN, console game coding has VERY LITTLE to do with computer game coding. Just because the consoles use AMD, means nothing. Fact is, ALOT of games strongly favor an nvidia card. Some like AMD, but there is no better or worse for next gen.

Solution

Jeff Baffalo

Honorable
Apr 10, 2014
If you want a future proof build, I think you should go with amd since future games will be using more cores so the eight-core might benefit you. Also think you should upgrade the cpu cooler if you want cooler temps or oc. For a gpu I would go with a NVIDIA GTX 770 sc w/ ACX cooling (4gb). It's cheaper and gets better frames that the 280x. Last time I checked it sells at ncix for $369.99

This is unrealistic on this budget, But I would definitely have an i5 over an 8350.

A 4gb gtx770 is pointless for 1080p, as the card itself is not even powerful enough to use that much Vram. If you are getting a single card, get the 2gb model or if you are going to be running 2 in SLI, gt 4gb ones.

alex2000261yeah

Honorable
Feb 10, 2013
Tiny voices, I think you have not properly read through this. I clearly stated the 6GB is due to next gen using more VRAM. Therefore higher res textures will be used. We can already see that in titanfall we are reaching 3GB of VRAM usage, and that's only one of the first next gen games. So as they learn to use more of the next gen hardware this will no doubt raise. And I didn't literally mean next gen proof and instead meant it should last next gen quite well.

Danbuscus25

Thanks for the comments I am currently considering making an intel alternative and if I do so that will be taken into account.

Rcgutairist
I recommend you wait for my intel build then. Like I said I recommend 8 core as their is rumours they will be favoured in next gen.

Jeff Bafallo

Thanks for the comments, I feel you are correct about the 8 core. Looked into the GTX 770 but I personally think AMD gets the edge due to more VRAM and mantle. Will take it into consideration for my new builds though.

They are not stronger or weaker. It is different in every situation. I never said Intel was better, simply that games currently and many upcoming games prefer 4 strong cores to 8 average cores.

The reality of is it, both the i5 4670k and the 8350 will be out of date before the number of cores matters enough to make a real difference in game performance. That is really the truth.

Game performance changes are WAY slower than you think. In 2009 when the first i3/i5/i7 CPUs came out, everyone bought an i7 920 because everyone kept saying games will use hyper threading in 1-2 years. Well, here we are 5 years later and Hyper threading still doesn't matter.

You also failed to read what I said. Point is, unless you have a card POWERFUL enough to use 6gb Vram, there is no point to have it all. Yes, Titanfall can use 3gb Vram. You nkow what card that was tested with? an r9 290x which is almost double as powerful as as a 280x AND they tested it at MORE than 1080p. Plain and simple, Titanfall will not use more than 3gb Vram at 1080p. It just won't. This is true for most other games as well.

Their YouTube video was deleted by YouTube, so that says something right there. Also, while you CAN use up to 3gb Vram, it is not necessary, fast is, a 2gb card will be perfect and the 1gb less cache space makes no real difference. There will be no stuttering or lagging associated with it. This was clearly stated in the thread by multiple users. Then the guy who "proves everyone NEEDS 3gb" got all upset and left.

NEVER get a 6gb 280x over a 3gb one unless you are buying multiple cards. Simple as that. It is a fact.

alex2000261yeah

Honorable
Feb 10, 2013
Danbuscus I never saw that!

Tiny voices, I am not saying I am right or not. I just believe that in future years more vram will be needed as they will start using all of the VRAM of the consoles. It had already been rumoured the maxwell GPUs from nvidia are going to have lots of VRAM for this reason.

Exactly, Danbuscus. If you are getting a 280x you get a 3gb one for $310 and if you want more power than that, you get a 4gb 290. Not a 6gb 280x for the same price.

The 6gb 280x is more or less a marketing ploy. Just like how you can buy 2gb version of weak cards. ALL MARKETING to get you to spend more money. They would rather sell you a 6gb 280x for the same price as a 4gb 290 because the 280x is cheaper to build. They are stealing your money and making you think its worth it. Sorry, this is just how it works. Obviously the 4gb 290 is the MUCH better option.

No, sorry, the card is not physically strong enough to use 6gb Vram. Due to calculations per second vs. cache speed a 280x will not ever use 6gb Vram. No matter the screen resolution, the card will run out of juice before it can cache out 6gb of calculations.

Just like how an hd7770 is not powerful enough to use 2gb Vram but they sell them anyway.

As I said, those 6gb 280x's are meant for Crossfire, not use as a single card.

I'm not hating on what you say, just giving the straight facts.