FX-8350 is overrated?

justcallmetom13

Reputable
Mar 17, 2014
Hi all, thanks for the read.

So I've been planning on building an AMD build that is mainly for gaming and I have a few questions on my hands.

1: I've heard that an overclocked FX-8350 is able to easily outpace a 3570k and can be a threat to even a 3770k. Further research tells me that it only beats the Intel processors in multi-core applications where the 8350's 8 cores can really shine. I really don't know what single-core applications are.. is that internet surfing?

2: I have a 3570k build already which does well. I plan to upgrade to a better GPU (from 7870 to GTX 770 {the 7870 going into this AMD build}). I also plan to get the best motherboard and cooler for it. Are they any other things I should be aware of when building around the 8350?

Thanks in advance.

The FX 8350 is a good CPU but it isn't going to beat the Core i5 3570K unless you run multi-threaded applications or games that are optimized for AMD. Obviously with the 8 core x86 architecture in the new consoles we will be seeing more games that the FX might do better on.

CDdude55

Distinguished
Intel's main advantage is architecture, yes in regards to multi-threaded applications AMD does tend to over take Intel in some aspects. Pair the 8350 with a good card and you'll have a nice system and they're also very easy to overclock with the unlocked multiple. Also single threaded applications are mostly out of the picture unless you're running some legacy software most developers are creating their applications with multiple cores and threads in mind.

Autocad, maya, pretty much any 3d modeling software is single threaded for modeling, acrobat, itunes, lame, many simple software like photoviewer, etc. The list goes on with many modern software still being single threaded. They are in no way out of the picture and never will be as it adds unnecessary complexity in software that does not need it. Any game that is multi thread is just dividing different tasks to threads, ei graphics to one, physics to one. And even games like bf4 are still not as highly threaded as people think and is why the differnce is only apparent in multiplayer where player tracking can be divided up more. My last post has a link to bf4 multiplayer benchmark and you can compare it to this single player benchmark which shows no difference in cpu performance from any high end cpu. http://www.techspot.com/review/734-battlefield-4-benchmarks/page6.html

Sadly not. Even the older 1st gen Core i5 760 can beat the FX 8350 core for core. We would have to go all the way back to the Core 2 series of processors to find one that AMD can beat in every aspect. Overall the FX 8350 is a better processors than those ones... But its weakness is where Intel is strong.

CDdude55

Distinguished

Ya that's true as well.

It doesn't necessarily even do better in multi-core gaming. I know it does slightly better in Crysis 3, but they're pretty much on par in BF4, and even then I think the intels are slightly ahead (only a few FPS).

logainofhades

Titan
What kinda budget we talking for this AMD rig, and what parts you need to buy? Going to be honest here, an i5 4570 and a B85 pro4 is probably a better option. Even a 1230v3 would be better and come out similar, if you consider the cost involved to overclock the FX 8320.

paitjsu sadff

Honorable
Jan 29, 2014
OP going from a core i5 3570K to a FX-8350 even overclocked is a lateral upgrade and you won't notice the difference in most current games specialy if you are using lots of applications using mostly single thread performance you are better off with a core i5...and going from ivy bridge to haswell also is not an upgrade path as you won't notice the 10% or so increased performance with i7-4770k or xeon 1230 for example...your current cpu should run anything at nice settings and do a good job for another year and a half at least...i would stay where you are ATM and overclock if you need more power...
Instead if you want better performance in gaming and 3d application put you monet in the best GPU you can afford..

paitjsu sadff

Honorable
Jan 29, 2014

oh i see, i missunderstood then...in that case i would go with this build :

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD FX-8320 3.5GHz 8-Core Processor ($149.99 @ NCIX US)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.98 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($64.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA 600B 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $364.94
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-04-15 07:34 EDT-0400)

This kit allow for overclocking on the CPU upward of 4.5ghz if needed, 4.3 ghz with no voltage bumb required.
...anything will run on this machine on highest details possible provided you always have an high-end GPU.
The FX-8320 is the same exact chip as the FX-8350, only slower clock but this cpu is unclocked so this is no big deal...

This kit with a good gpu like a GTX 760,770 or 780 will dominate any game on the market and give high quality HD gaming at upward of 60fps constant in most games at high or ultra details in regard of the GPU you can afford. You may also look at a radeon r9 280, r9 280x or r9 290 graphics card as well. Any of these solutions will provide much better graphics and performance in next gen games than any console available on the market.

I leave the rest of the build in your hands you need to add: case, storage, graphics card and OS if needed.

That's this exact setup with a GTX 780 OC i'm using for gaming everyday except i went witch corsair memory of equivalent performance but the gskill is just too well priced atm but other then that i can assure that this system run's any modern games at highest details possible and will continue to do so in the future with games going the way they are directX12 and mantle APi's it will only continue to do even better.

Also pay attention if you check reviews online on those cpu's as most reviewers seem to enjoy trowing single threaded games in low definition in the benchmarks to take advantage of the slightly lower performance per core, so that those CPU's looks bad when compared to intel cpu's...in real life those CPU's are working really really well when paired with high-end GPU's in all modern games.

logainofhades

Titan
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4570 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock B85 Pro4 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($64.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($64.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA 600B 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($54.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $374.96
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-04-15 10:37 EDT-0400)

paitjsu sadff

Honorable
Jan 29, 2014
yup great pricing on this intel setup as well logain but lacks the overclocking capabilty as this cpu is multiplier locked and lack of an after market cooler (wich also is a lot more quiet and will keep much better temps over the stock heatsink and i would recommand getting the hyper 212 with this intel setup as well)

Also the Gigabyte 970a-UD3P can't be compared to the asrock board in terms of components quality.
The 970A-UD3P is superior in every way.

paitjsu sadff

Honorable
Jan 29, 2014

no, on that i agree with you, but for the long run i would rather go with the FX setup as i'm quite confident it will take the OP much further in the future...