169.254.x.x IP Problem

leeforsyth

Reputable
Apr 15, 2014
Wondering if anyone can help...:??:

I have a brand new laptop that I've just added to our domain, everything works fine until after a couple of hours and the local network connection breaks and reverts to a 169.254.x.x IP address. A simple reset of the network adapter fixes the issue for a further couple hours until it breaks again. Something to do with DHCP config maybe?

This is the only computer doing this on our network, and the problem seems to go away if I use a USB network card. Looks like the issue is with the actual network card and not a Windows 7 problem.

Should I just call Dell and get them to replace the network card? Or is there anything else I can try?

Any help would be appreciated :).

FiL

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2002
It *might* be a NIC hardware problem, or a driver issue.

Finding yourself on 169.254.0.0/16 is usually an indication you've lost access to your DHCP server and autoconfig is kicking in.

Beachnative

Honorable
Jan 25, 2013

Is this a wireless card? Are you in a condo? If it is I would be suspicious of a neighbors wireless signal interference. There are wireless scanners out there to see if a hidden wireless network could be the culprit Here is one being used on Youtube. Then again you might be correct and you have a bad NIC. I've never seen one work then stop work then work again. Sounds like a DHCP lease timeout???

leeforsyth

Reputable
Apr 15, 2014

No it isn't a wireless card. I am in an office building, and we have over 80 other laptops working fine so I don't think it is being interfered with.

I think you are right about the lease timing out, so what would I need to do to stop this happening? Could this be the result of a faulty NIC?

Also, I have tried playing about with the drivers today... still keeps going back to the 169 address after a few hours! :fou:

Thanks for your help so far guys! :)

Beachnative

Honorable
Jan 25, 2013

Perhaps it is having a difficult time with the auto detect rate on that particular NIC. Set the offending NICs rate to 10M and see what happens. If it stabilizes then bump it up to 100M.

Is the USB NIC a gigabit or 100M?
If the USB NIC is 100M and works all the time then there could be a wiring issue with the CAT5e in the walls. Or does this do this at all locations?

TRENDING THREADS