Solved

Custom Built Gaming PC, What do you guys think? Good or Not.

Here is what I think I am going to do for a custom built gaming rig.
I don't plan on water cooling or overclocking the CPU.


PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3ruMQ
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3ruMQ/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3ruMQ/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i7-4820K 3.7GHz Quad-Core Processor ($309.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Intel BXRTS2011AC CPU Cooler ($20.59 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus P9X79 LE ATX LGA2011 Motherboard ($229.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Corsair Dominator 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($355.98 @ Newegg)
Storage: Sandisk ReadyCache 32GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($39.99 @ Micro Center)
Storage: Toshiba 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 660 3GB Video Card ($238.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Thermaltake Chaser MK-I ATX Full Tower Case ($129.99 @ Micro Center)
Power Supply: Corsair CSM 750W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: LG UH12NS30 Blu-Ray Reader, DVD/CD Writer ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link TL-WN350GD 802.11b/g PCI Wi-Fi Adapter ($8.99 @ Amazon)
Case Fan: Apevia CF20SL-UBL 125.0 CFM 200mm Fan ($14.78 @ Newegg)
Case Fan: Apevia CF20SL-UBL 125.0 CFM 200mm Fan ($14.78 @ Newegg)
Other: NZXT Sentry-2 5.25" Touch Screen Fan Controller ($27.99)
Other: NZXT Aperture M Card Reader ($31.82)
Total: $1643.83
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-04-16 09:28 EDT-0400)
15 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about custom built gaming guys good
  1. I don't see the point of using LGA 2011 socket if you're not overclocking. There is not need for 32GB for gaming. 8GB will suffice. You could have spent more on the gpu rather than 660.

    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

    CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($219.99 @ Newegg)
    CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($71.99 @ Mwave)
    Motherboard: MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($147.99 @ Newegg)
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance Pro 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($89.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Samsung 840 Pro Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($199.00 @ Amazon)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($56.98 @ OutletPC)
    Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 3GB Video Card ($489.99 @ Newegg)
    Case: Corsair 750D ATX Full Tower Case ($129.99 @ Micro Center)
    Power Supply: XFX XTR 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($109.99 @ Amazon)
    Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer ($15.98 @ OutletPC)
    Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link TL-WN350GD 802.11b/g PCI Wi-Fi Adapter ($8.99 @ Amazon)
    Fan Controller: NZXT Sentry 2 Fan Controller ($25.98 @ OutletPC)
    Total: $1566.86
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-04-16 09:40 EDT-0400)
  2. do not i repeat do not spent so much on that epic mobo and cpu and get a cheaper gpu with this cpu you should have at least a 770 if not 780
  3. The build is not optimized for gaming. You can get an i7-4770k, 8 GB RAM, and a GTX 780 Ti for about the same price.
  4. I forgot to mention this is not only for gaming but for rendering mainly on after effects
  5. with this you still probably want a 770 or better so you can drop your motherboard to a 130 dollar or so asus one as the one you have picked is for extreme overclockers
  6. Zachasaurs said:
    with this you still probably want a 770 or better so you can drop your motherboard to a 130 dollar or so asus one as the one you have picked is for extreme overclockers


    ok so is this one better.
    PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3sJlB
    Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3sJlB/by_merchant/
    Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3sJlB/benchmarks/

    CPU: Intel Core i7-4820K 3.7GHz Quad-Core Processor ($309.99 @ Newegg)
    CPU Cooler: Intel BXRTS2011AC CPU Cooler ($20.59 @ Amazon)
    Motherboard: Asus P9X79 LE ATX LGA2011 Motherboard ($229.98 @ SuperBiiz)
    Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($259.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Toshiba 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($79.99 @ Newegg)
    Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 760 4GB Video Card ($294.99 @ NCIX US)
    Case: Thermaltake Chaser MK-I ATX Full Tower Case ($129.99 @ Micro Center)
    Power Supply: Corsair CX 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($77.99 @ Micro Center)
    Optical Drive: LG UH12NS30 Blu-Ray Reader, DVD/CD Writer ($39.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $1443.50
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-04-16 09:47 EDT-0400)

    Also I get Windows 7 Professional through work so...
  7. renigadecrew said:
    Zachasaurs said:
    with this you still probably want a 770 or better so you can drop your motherboard to a 130 dollar or so asus one as the one you have picked is for extreme overclockers


    ok so is this one better.
    PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3sJlB
    Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3sJlB/by_merchant/
    Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3sJlB/benchmarks/

    CPU: Intel Core i7-4820K 3.7GHz Quad-Core Processor ($309.99 @ Newegg)
    CPU Cooler: Intel BXRTS2011AC CPU Cooler ($20.59 @ Amazon)
    Motherboard: Asus P9X79 LE ATX LGA2011 Motherboard ($229.98 @ SuperBiiz)
    Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($259.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Toshiba 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($79.99 @ Newegg)
    Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 760 4GB Video Card ($294.99 @ NCIX US)
    Case: Thermaltake Chaser MK-I ATX Full Tower Case ($129.99 @ Micro Center)
    Power Supply: Corsair CX 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($77.99 @ Micro Center)
    Optical Drive: LG UH12NS30 Blu-Ray Reader, DVD/CD Writer ($39.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $1443.50
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-04-16 09:47 EDT-0400)

    Also I get Windows 7 Professional through work so...


    Please tell us your budget and we'll give you a decent build. Also, please tell us what you'll be using this rig for, in order from high priority to low priority.
  8. Looks better, but you should still get at least a GTX 770 for gaming performance.
  9. Graphiicz said:
    renigadecrew said:
    Zachasaurs said:
    with this you still probably want a 770 or better so you can drop your motherboard to a 130 dollar or so asus one as the one you have picked is for extreme overclockers


    ok so is this one better.
    PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3sJlB
    Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3sJlB/by_merchant/
    Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3sJlB/benchmarks/

    CPU: Intel Core i7-4820K 3.7GHz Quad-Core Processor ($309.99 @ Newegg)
    CPU Cooler: Intel BXRTS2011AC CPU Cooler ($20.59 @ Amazon)
    Motherboard: Asus P9X79 LE ATX LGA2011 Motherboard ($229.98 @ SuperBiiz)
    Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($259.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Toshiba 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($79.99 @ Newegg)
    Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 760 4GB Video Card ($294.99 @ NCIX US)
    Case: Thermaltake Chaser MK-I ATX Full Tower Case ($129.99 @ Micro Center)
    Power Supply: Corsair CX 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($77.99 @ Micro Center)
    Optical Drive: LG UH12NS30 Blu-Ray Reader, DVD/CD Writer ($39.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $1443.50
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-04-16 09:47 EDT-0400)

    Also I get Windows 7 Professional through work so...


    Please tell us your budget and we'll give you a decent build. Also, please tell us what you'll be using this rig for, in order from high priority to low priority.


    Ok,
    Im going for at most $1,500 and the only things I am having a hard time drawing between is the motherboard, CPU, Heatsink (Not interested in Water Cool) (If the CPU comes stock with one thats fine), and GPU.

    I would prefer an EVGA GPU if possible

    For Motherboard I would want: Asus (High) , Gigabyte, or MSI

    The heatsink IDC

    Im gonna probebly do rendering mainly and gaming
  10. What are you rendering using which software(s) with input and output formats ??

    Massive CPUs are on the way out ... rendering is largely driven by OpenCL/GL via GPU acceleration these days -- CUDA is becoming more and more proprietary toward specific tasks and effects in software.
  11. Wisecracker said:

    What are you rendering using which software(s) with input and output formats ??

    Massive CPUs are on the way out ... rendering is largely driven by OpenCL/GL via GPU acceleration these days -- CUDA is becoming more and more proprietary toward specific tasks and effects in software.



    I use after effects cc and am going to be rendering gameplays recorded by my elgato into 1080p in mp4 format

    I also plan on doing gaming on the build as well.
  12. PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

    CPU: Intel Core i7-4770 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($294.99 @ NCIX US)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H87-D3H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($101.39 @ Mwave)
    Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($127.50 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($151.95 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($84.63 @ OutletPC)
    Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 780 3GB Video Card ($479.99 @ Newegg)
    Case: Corsair 600T White Graphite ATX Mid Tower Case ($159.99 @ Amazon)
    Power Supply: XFX 650W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($109.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($19.98 @ OutletPC)
    Total: $1530.41
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-04-16 10:49 EDT-0400)
  13. Graphiicz said:
    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

    CPU: Intel Core i7-4770 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($294.99 @ NCIX US)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H87-D3H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($101.39 @ Mwave)
    Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($127.50 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($151.95 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($84.63 @ OutletPC)
    Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 780 3GB Video Card ($479.99 @ Newegg)
    Case: Corsair 600T White Graphite ATX Mid Tower Case ($159.99 @ Amazon)
    Power Supply: XFX 650W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($109.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($19.98 @ OutletPC)
    Total: $1530.41
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-04-16 10:49 EDT-0400)


    Good. I was happy with my hdd, case, optical drive etc.. on my other build but I will take the gpu and cpu to consideration as well as the mobo.

    I personally like the Thermaltake Chaser MK-1 tho
  14. Graphiicz said:
    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

    CPU: Intel Core i7-4770 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($294.99 @ NCIX US)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H87-D3H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($101.39 @ Mwave)
    Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($127.50 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($151.95 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($84.63 @ OutletPC)
    Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 780 3GB Video Card ($479.99 @ Newegg)
    Case: Corsair 600T White Graphite ATX Mid Tower Case ($159.99 @ Amazon)
    Power Supply: XFX 650W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($109.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($19.98 @ OutletPC)
    Total: $1530.41
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-04-16 10:49 EDT-0400)


    Good. I was happy with my hdd, case, optical drive etc.. on my other build but I will take the gpu and cpu to consideration as well as the mobo.

    I personally like the Thermaltake Chaser MK-1 tho
  15. Best answer
    My understanding is Elgato max record is H.264/MP4 at 1080i (likely 60fps). You need to set your output format in Adobe to coincide with the recording format in Elgato. This should 'pass-though' (NOT render) the original frames, significantly reducing your render times.

    The only frames rendered will be those upon which you apply effects or titles. Therefore, a 4670K should work just dandy for you with little, if any, effect on your gaming FPS.

    Now, the Sapphire TRI-X OC Radeon R9 290 4GB (at the same price of the GTX780) should boost your frames and run 'cool & quiet'
Ask a new question

Read More

Systems