HD 7850 keeps lowering the Clock Speed during Gaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lucas Bustamante

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2014
Hello,

I've been getting a lot of FPS drops every min in a lot of games.

After further investigation, I could see in real time that the FPS drop was directly related to GPU Clock drops

UM4o7xH.png

Made this using Paint, as I'm in class right now.

GPU: Radeon HD 7850 XFX Core Edition 2GB
Average Temperature: 68° (gaming)
Average Fan Rotation: 65% (gaming)
Volate remains the same, even during drops

Using latest AMD drivers, fresh install of Windows 7

All information about my system:
http://speccy.piriform.com/results/KWpGx7rbn27rRahMAXkYItY

Thanks in advance

Lucas Bustamante

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2014
I'm in class right now, so I can't check, but now that you mentioned it I'm almost certain the problem is in the motherboard VRM

This is my refrigeration scheme:

7tTCV7w.gif

For what I've googled, my mobo's VRM is located on top of the CPU, between the CPU and the exhaustion fan, and my CPU cooler has two fans blowing against each other, making that area extermely hot. The fans came that way stock, but I can reverse it. It is overheating the VRMs for sure

I'll try when I get home

The VRM section tends to run on 2 sides of the cpu(back and top).

When you get home snap a picture.

A rear fan pulling in is not a bad thing sometimes.

If you have a tower style cooler and still have the AMD stock cooler take its fan and use a 90 degree metal strap to attach it over the VRM area :)

Example, but it is not installed on a system. Note the meta strap.
4ftsg4.jpg

Lucas Bustamante

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2014
Okay, so

I have made some changes on the refrigeration scheme

Now the fans are push-pull, and the fan that was on top of the CPU now is in the back.

Also, I have 4 sticks of memory in Dual Channel, but they were in the wrong order (serials mismatch), changed orders so the rams make dual channel with the matching serials.

But problem still persists, it's EXTREMELY annoying and frustrating, bought this computer a week ago and still couldn't use it because of this load of problems. I've bought it used from a guy who owns a hardware store and said this parts are brand new from spare parts from lots he bought. I'll go see him tomorrow.

Apart from that, I've paid cheap on this computer, and I'll only ask for a refund in the last case

The lags spikes continues in every game: Skyrim, Far Cry 2 and GTA IV.

I get around 40 FPS with a LOT of lag on Far Cry 2, and according to Benchmarks my GPU would hold Average 122 FPS with minimum 76 FPS. Seriously, wtf is going on?!

Is there a way to debug VRM for problems? Should I expect some change in voltage?

My GPU while gaming:
Core: XX% (this is where the drops occurs)
Core: 1.21V
Core: 860Mhz
Memory: 1200Mhz
Temperature: < 68º
Fan: XX%, never saw it over 50%

Idle:
Core: 0%
Core: 0.83V
Core: 300Mhz
Memory: 150Mhz
Temperature: 32º (21ºC in my city)
Fan: 20%

PS: About the VRM position, you guys are right - now it's under the back fan. There's no space to add a horizontal fan there, the CPU cooler is HUGE, similar to this one

Lucas Bustamante

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2014
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS