Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

FRAPS - Recording makes my game lag spike?

Last response: in Applications
Share
April 16, 2014 4:16:20 PM

Okay, so I've upgraded my CPU and motherboard. Before, with my old rig, I never lag spiked while recording, (maybe sometimes, but that was just my frames going down because my rig was not too good). But now, when I record some Minecraft, the frames would jump from 120 to 90 then makes its way back up when loading new chunks. It's annoying since you can see the freezing.

When not recording, sometimes goes from 900 to 850 or so, but it doesn't show any freezing whatso ever. Is this a HDD problem? I've never had this problem before.

Old specs:
APU: A8 3850
HDD: Samsung 204UI 2TB

New specs:
GPU: GTX 760
CPU: i5 4670
HDD: Samsung 204UI 2TB

I currently have 1.2TB free of space so I don't know whats going on.
April 16, 2014 4:30:00 PM

I think you have the so-called microstuttering. Why does this happen? Well perhaps minecraft, when you fly around, has to load new stuff , many small new stuff and the 2TB hard disk, (which is made to give huge data but not many small data fast) has issues delivering in real time especially when you are also writing on that disk (recording with fraps)

SSDs are way faster and you should definitely get one ssd of 128gb, install your O/S there, never good idea to have O/S on huge disks, and play your minecraft from there and save on the 2Tb hard disk.
m
0
l
April 16, 2014 4:32:25 PM

But why is this NOW happening? This has never happened in the past.
m
0
l
Related resources
April 16, 2014 4:34:52 PM

beetlejuicegr summed up one of the biggest issues with fraps. Its large files require a rather clean drive(lower fragmentation) so the heads do not have to jump around too much. Add a game loading to the mix and the drive head may not always be in a good place to record.

I HIGHLY recommend you try ShadowPlay instead. It uses hardware compression in your video card to reduce cpu stress and file size that also can add to frame drops on fraps.
http://www.geforce.com/geforce-experience/shadowplay

While you can record at different frame rates or resolutions, for best performance/look you should run stereo sound(surround is not yet supported last I checked) and at most 1920 x 1080 for the time being. Running Vsync or a frame rate limiter to keep the same frame rate as you are recording at is a good idea as well.
m
0
l
April 16, 2014 4:36:44 PM

Alright, I've wanted to try shadowplay after getting the new GPU. Does HDDs need drivers?
m
0
l
April 16, 2014 5:06:37 PM

I just tested Minecraft recording with Bandicam, not as much lag spikes as fraps. So I guess it's not HDD problem?
m
0
l
April 16, 2014 5:31:46 PM

Is it possible to make bandican cut files after a certain amount of file size?
m
0
l
April 16, 2014 6:23:39 PM

I do not use bandicam, but the NTFS file system used on most Windows system should not have issues with larger files.

Hard drives do not require a driver, but the controller they connect to does. Normally the default ones are ok, but you can try the ones from the system maker or motherboard makers website. Things like caching may hide some of the performance loss from a mechanical hard drive.

I was actually test recording FRAPS videos over a network and it worked out fairly good. It did still drop some frames from time to time however.

I have found ShadowPlay to be quite good, but not quite as good as some others because of the compression, but most online services will do so much harm to the file that this difference should not be an issue.
m
0
l
April 20, 2014 9:42:23 PM

Would recording to a USB flash drive stop the lag spike issue?
m
0
l
April 21, 2014 5:53:49 AM

This depends on the drive as well as its overall speed.

Some USB flash drives are just slow.

Also note that flash drives have a limited number of times they can be written so keep that in mind.
m
0
l
April 21, 2014 6:48:59 AM

nukemaster said:
This depends on the drive as well as its overall speed.

Some USB flash drives are just slow.

Also note that flash drives have a limited number of times they can be written so keep that in mind.


Which ones do you recommend?
m
0
l
April 21, 2014 12:25:54 PM

I do not tend to use flash drives too much, so I just have cheap A-DATA ones.

What is your resolution and frame rate, I will see if any I can do some test recordings(fraps). I will be using a game that is very non demanding to avoid the game being the bottleneck.

Did you get to try ShadowPlay? 1.45 gigabytes(vs over 12 for fraps) gave me a 5 minute 1920 x 1080(It supports higher, but seems to not do too good at non 16:9 ratios) video.
m
0
l
April 21, 2014 3:48:00 PM

nukemaster said:
I do not tend to use flash drives too much, so I just have cheap A-DATA ones.

What is your resolution and frame rate, I will see if any I can do some test recordings(fraps). I will be using a game that is very non demanding to avoid the game being the bottleneck.

Did you get to try ShadowPlay? 1.45 gigabytes(vs over 12 for fraps) gave me a 5 minute 1920 x 1080(It supports higher, but seems to not do too good at non 16:9 ratios) video.


Yeah, shadowplay works really well with Counter strike GO. But doesn't quite support minecraft without using desktop recording. But it still lag spikes. Is the Corsair USB 3.0 Flash Voyager GS 64 GB good? Or SanDisk Extreme 64 GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive
m
0
l
April 21, 2014 3:50:30 PM

Actually, which is more important when saving recorded videos to the flash drive, write speed, or read speed?
m
0
l
April 21, 2014 3:57:21 PM

I record Minecraft in 1280x720 with over 400 FPS

Shaders: 170
m
0
l
April 21, 2014 6:34:52 PM

Write speeds, but latency plays a role too.

Recording a video at 400 fps will lag spike no matter what because most software will not record or playback that fast(I do not even think any consumer monitor can keep up with that). In general the only time for actual frame rates like that is high speed recordings that then get played back at 30/60 fps and show you a slow motion video.

Try to cap the FPS at 60 and see if it is better.
m
0
l
April 21, 2014 6:54:46 PM

nukemaster said:
Write speeds, but latency plays a role too.

Recording a video at 400 fps will lag spike no matter what because most software will not record or playback that fast(I do not even think any consumer monitor can keep up with that). In general the only time for actual frame rates like that is high speed recordings that then get played back at 30/60 fps and show you a slow motion video.

Try to cap the FPS at 60 and see if it is better.


I cap it at 120 and it dips to 95 then makes it's way back up. Bandicam doesn't do this, instead, it just gives me lower frames.
m
0
l
April 21, 2014 7:10:03 PM

How big are bandicam files? I wonder if it is a storage issue or a program/other performance issue.

General recordings are 30 or 60 fps. The problem with rendering more than the number you are trying to record is some will simply be dropped and can make the recording look unsmooth.

I did a Bioshock Infinite recording with the frame rate in the 90-120ish range and it is not that smooth because the video is only taking some of the frames.
m
0
l
April 21, 2014 7:17:29 PM

nukemaster said:
How big are bandicam files? I wonder if it is a storage issue or a program/other performance issue.

General recordings are 30 or 60 fps. The problem with rendering more than the number you are trying to record is some will simply be dropped and can make the recording look unsmooth.

I did a Bioshock Infinite recording with the frame rate in the 90-120ish range and it is not that smooth because the video is only taking some of the frames.


This all happened after installing new mobo, CPU. HDD is the same.
m
0
l
April 21, 2014 7:22:13 PM

Bandicam is like 4 min/300 mb I believe
m
0
l
April 21, 2014 8:29:11 PM

Well I highly doubt you have a hard drive bottleneck with that small of a file. I would lean more towards a cpu bottleneck with it while gaming or something else.

With videos that small, you can test VERY fast storage with a 1-2 gigabyte ramdrive.

Normally when you install a new board, you end up having to reinstall the OS. You may well have a software issue preventing you from getting the performance you should.

Some users who are really into game recording use external capture boxes with hardware encoding taking the system out of the equation.
m
0
l
April 21, 2014 8:51:44 PM

nukemaster said:
Well I highly doubt you have a hard drive bottleneck with that small of a file. I would lean more towards a cpu bottleneck with it while gaming or something else.

With videos that small, you can test VERY fast storage with a 1-2 gigabyte ramdrive.

Normally when you install a new board, you end up having to reinstall the OS. You may well have a software issue preventing you from getting the performance you should.

Some users who are really into game recording use external capture boxes with hardware encoding taking the system out of the equation.


My CPU is a i5 4670. I have Windows 7 SP1. Is that a problem?
m
0
l
April 21, 2014 9:14:07 PM

It should not be, but your hard drive is not likely to have any issues with bandi or shadowplay either. Fraps I could see issues with fragmentation due to the higher data rates.

Again to rule out storage you can always try a ram drive.
m
0
l
April 21, 2014 9:20:51 PM

nukemaster said:
It should not be, but your hard drive is not likely to have any issues with bandi or shadowplay either. Fraps I could see issues with fragmentation due to the higher data rates.

Again to rule out storage you can always try a ram drive.


Will a USB flash drive work better
m
0
l
April 21, 2014 9:24:11 PM

Actually, what is the ACTUAL reason why it's lag spiking
m
0
l
April 22, 2014 6:30:49 AM

I can not be sure in your case. These spikes could be an issue with frame rate, a game loading textures slowing down the drive just enough, a driver issue or many other things.

Your system should work fine, but many users have lag issues on minecraft because even with its simple graphics, it has lots of polygons because each block is an individual item.

I can not say yes or no to a flash drive because if it is not a storage system issue, then you will buy a flash drive for no gains.

Before anything you should at least try a ramdisk. They have a lite version that should at least let you test and ensure you do or do not have a storage bottleneck. If you do, but your videos are small, you may be able to capture to this and then copy to your drive after.
http://memory.dataram.com/products-and-services/softwar...
m
0
l
April 22, 2014 7:02:34 AM

nukemaster said:
I can not be sure in your case. These spikes could be an issue with frame rate, a game loading textures slowing down the drive just enough, a driver issue or many other things.

Your system should work fine, but many users have lag issues on minecraft because even with its simple graphics, it has lots of polygons because each block is an individual item.

I can not say yes or no to a flash drive because if it is not a storage system issue, then you will buy a flash drive for no gains.

Before anything you should at least try a ramdisk. They have a lite version that should at least let you test and ensure you do or do not have a storage bottleneck. If you do, but your videos are small, you may be able to capture to this and then copy to your drive after.
http://memory.dataram.com/products-and-services/softwar...


Alright I'll try ramdisk this afternoon! I also don't believe it's a HDD problem, i have 800 GB left and it's 0% fragmented, if that's even good
m
0
l
April 22, 2014 8:05:24 AM

the only issue I have ever seen with hard drives in general is that if they are being used for other things the drive heads have to move between the locations, but most times it is fast enough to not be an issue. This is what makes dedicated drives a good option.

It is more this access time than actual write speed that matters for real time recording. I even have a dedicated drive for my media center PVR just to ensure the drive is never too busy. It has not issues recording and watching something else, but the data rates are not high at all(SD and HD recordings from cable do not need bit rates even remotely close to what is used for most peoples game capture.).

I have always used the 2 or more drive(drive for the game and windows and a drive for recording) system and this may well have helped. It is important to know that I do not do that much game recording(I will capture if something funny happens or if I want to test the new version of ShadowPlay).
m
0
l
April 22, 2014 4:09:52 PM

nukemaster said:
the only issue I have ever seen with hard drives in general is that if they are being used for other things the drive heads have to move between the locations, but most times it is fast enough to not be an issue. This is what makes dedicated drives a good option.

It is more this access time than actual write speed that matters for real time recording. I even have a dedicated drive for my media center PVR just to ensure the drive is never too busy. It has not issues recording and watching something else, but the data rates are not high at all(SD and HD recordings from cable do not need bit rates even remotely close to what is used for most peoples game capture.).

I have always used the 2 or more drive(drive for the game and windows and a drive for recording) system and this may well have helped. It is important to know that I do not do that much game recording(I will capture if something funny happens or if I want to test the new version of ShadowPlay).

Does it matter on what version of Fraps I use? I used to have an older version, but now using the latest
m
0
l
April 22, 2014 4:27:14 PM

Yep, it sort of fixed it. Downgraded to V. 3.4.2. Although it still lags from 120 to like 114, but its waaaaay better.
m
0
l
April 22, 2014 4:32:25 PM

Honestly, whenever I load new chunks, it starts to lag spike. Do you know why?
m
0
l
April 22, 2014 4:40:44 PM

Actually it still hasn't been fixed :l it just gives me higher fps, but lag spikes still
m
0
l
April 23, 2014 8:12:04 AM

In general you should use the latest version from the member area.

Did you manage to see what the ram drive does?

120 to 114 would just sound like loading more blocks. I could see that even when not recording.
m
0
l
!