Solved

SSHD and SSD

Do you think having a 2TB SSHD with a 250GB SSD is worth it? Or should I get 120GB? Or should I just get the SSHD because they're nearly as fast a a SSD?
8 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about sshd ssd
  1. An SSHD is only nearly as fast as an SSD when you're running programs out of the SSD cache in it. Once you start loading programs off of the actual hard drive it's much slower than an SSD.
    If I were you, I'd definitely have an SSD as a boot drive with a conventional HDD/SSHD as a second drive, as this is the best bang for buck.
  2. BPTMatthew said:
    An SSHD is only nearly as fast as an SSD when you're running programs out of the SSD cache in it. Once you start loading programs off of the actual hard drive it's much slower than an SSD.
    If I were you, I'd definitely have an SSD as a boot drive with a conventional HDD/SSHD as a second drive, as this is the best bang for buck.


    Do you think it's worth the extra $50 for a SSHD?
  3. Best answer
    CaptainGunny said:


    Do you think it's worth the extra $50 for a SSHD?


    I don't really see that much difference in performance personally, so you're probably better off getting a higher capacity performance HDD (Like a WD Black)
  4. BPTMatthew said:
    CaptainGunny said:


    Do you think it's worth the extra $50 for a SSHD?


    I don't really see that much difference in performance personally, so you're probably better off getting a higher capacity performance HDD (Like a WD Black)

    How about a Seagate Barracuda 2TB?
  5. CaptainGunny said:
    How about a Seagate Barracuda 2TB?


    Yeah, anything along those lines is good!
  6. BPTMatthew said:
    CaptainGunny said:
    How about a Seagate Barracuda 2TB?


    Yeah, anything along those lines is good!


    Would there be a difference between 7200rpm and 5200rpm
  7. i know when i had my momentus, it worked great. boot times significantly improved but when i transferred large amounts of data it worked like a 7200. my only problem was reliability. it lasted 6 months of common use. if your motherboard supports SSD caching, i would suggest that as the best medium.
  8. CharlesLam said:
    i know when i had my momentus, it worked great. boot times significantly improved but when i transferred large amounts of data it worked like a 7200. my only problem was reliability. it lasted 6 months of common use. if your motherboard supports SSD caching, i would suggest that as the best medium.


    I think I'll go with a 7200rpm hardrive with a 250gb ssd. And I dont know how to use SSD caching
Ask a new question

Read More

SSD Storage