FX 8320 CORE DROPs

Lesax96

Reputable
Mar 23, 2014
Ok when running prime95 fx 8320 on full load core drops to 1.4 ghz for couple of seconds and go to normal clock speed that happens no matter if its stock clock or oc-ed :)) what do i do now ? or it is normal ?

Solution

well if that happens then i suppose you must try to keep temps below 55c . this is voltage issue that reflects on temps too.mobo also determines an succesfull o/c ability.in your case if you want to eliminate these drops then you must lower voltage a bit in order to gain stability.

Lesax96

Reputable
Mar 23, 2014
dont go over 62 when oced and 57,58 on stock :/ temps are great really... 8gb ddr3 1333mhz r9 270x sapphire dual x fx 8320 and 500 gb hdd .. it does not effects gaming .. :/

if you have a 970 chipset mobo, make sure you have updated to the latest bios. also make sure you have set high performance on windows power options. if still insists disable cool & quiet but make sure you have capable cooling cause temps may increase especially if overclocked!

Lesax96

Reputable
Mar 23, 2014
I have asus m5a87 mobo , PSU is lc600h-12 2.31v ... :) i downloaded latest update 2013 year from asus site and updated ... and i have one more question on my last mobo i had badass interface on bios now i have blue and grey shit that looks like its from 1998 xD can i change that ?

"AMD Cool 'n' Quiet™ Technology
* 32nm AM3+ CPU is supported by BIOS version 0401 and later'' this is what asus says.
if it is gray then , isnt supported for a reason. i think that your psu is fine and that your mobo vrm(voltage regulator modules) just struggle with your power hungry cpu and since they dont have heatsink for cooling, i wouldnt suggest any oveclock!

well that is a lot better. make sure you monitor temps though as they will increase.also make sure you have sufficient airflow in your tower!

well if that happens then i suppose you must try to keep temps below 55c . this is voltage issue that reflects on temps too.mobo also determines an succesfull o/c ability.in your case if you want to eliminate these drops then you must lower voltage a bit in order to gain stability.

Solution

killer pc g15

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2010
60c is cold for that cpu under full load. you'll need a aftermarket cooler or change the thermalthrottle. 70c is fine for that cpu if your not going to do crazy overclocks :) and keep in mind that almost no game will use ur cpu 100%. lowering the voltage can work but well you payed for that cpu to be so good and now ur slowing it down because of temps. I suggest a better air flow in ur case and a nice cpu cooler. I use a thermalright ifx14 very nice cooler and very scheap! :)

Lesax96

Reputable
Mar 23, 2014
i just bought a new rig and gammaxx 200 ... and i can lower voltage to 1.260v and it works perfectly on 56,57C on prime95 with no clock drops .. :) i will buy 212 evo next weak ... i just dont get this thing it drops on 60C and cools down to 57C and goes up again to 60C and then drops again ... like it cannot go over 60C.. but whatever i am happy with 4.0 ghz for now with this cheap cooler :)