Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Graphic card for gaming (really need help)

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
April 18, 2014 7:18:41 AM

Hi guys, my processor is Intel(R) Core(TM) i3 CPU 550 @ 3.20 GHz, 4GB ram.
Can I know what graphic card is suitable and cheap for me to buy and will run almost most of the games smoothly? Because I don't have any graphic card installed right now, only playing games with my i3. Someone help me please I don't not wish to waste money and my games runs like before. And I'm able to play CS-go, Dota 2, but it will be like in slow motion.

More about : graphic card gaming

a b 4 Gaming
a b U Graphics card
April 18, 2014 7:24:19 AM

The NVidia 750 and 750 ti are perfect for this kind of setup. Low power, decent performance, and not too crazy expensive.
m
0
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
April 18, 2014 7:34:04 AM

I second that. The GeForce GTX 750 ti is a great little card. I have one, not as my primary graphics card, but I have tried it in that configuration. It will do significantly better than the graphics that come with your i3-550, and it's only about $150. Check them out at NewEgg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...

I'd say to go for the Superclocked version. It's a little faster and only costs an extra $5-$10.
m
0
l
April 19, 2014 12:08:51 AM

Thanks guys! But how much does it cost to buy The GeForce GTX 750? Really low on budget right now.
m
0
l
April 19, 2014 12:10:14 AM

Ok I saw the price from the link. A little over budget for me. I was planning to pay about $100 or less. haha..
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
April 19, 2014 12:49:07 AM

Derrius Jiande said:
Thanks guys! But how much does it cost to buy The GeForce GTX 750? Really low on budget right now.


Bro, click the links.
m
0
l
April 19, 2014 12:52:18 AM

Okay already went to the link. Thanks :)  What are the difference between EVGA GeForce GTX 750 and ZOTAC ZT-70701-10M GeForce GTX 750?
m
0
l
April 19, 2014 12:56:58 AM

By the way, do I have to know how big is my power supply is?
m
0
l

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
April 19, 2014 6:41:40 AM

Derrius Jiande said:
Okay already went to the link. Thanks :)  What are the difference between EVGA GeForce GTX 750 and ZOTAC ZT-70701-10M GeForce GTX 750?


Minor things, but basically the color. For other cards, the cooler on one might be better than the other, but the 750 ti uses so little power to begin with that it won't get hot with any cooler. That said, I really like EVGA's reputation and build quality better than Zotac, and that orange color is what it is. ASUS also builds really solid cards. The 750 ti also has models with power plugs to make it a little faster if you want (for over locking).

If you are looking to over clock the card, then you'll definitely want either the ASUS or the EVGA. Specifically for EVGA, you'll need the "For the Win (FTW)" version. It's the the only EVGA 750 ti with power plugs. If you look up the 750 ti on the YouTube Chanel called "LinusTechTips," you'll see that the version with the power plugs performs significantly better (i.e. 10%-20% faster). I personally went with the EVGA super clocked version because I didn't want to use power plugs. It's small, over clocked a little bit, keeps really cool, and is much smaller than the cards with power plugs. You'll be happy either way. Just see which is best within your budget. BTW - all versions of the EVGA 750 ti cards are in the NewEgg link I posted above. Check'm out (and here again as well). The longer ones require a power plug, but the shorter ones don't.
Share
April 20, 2014 6:51:44 AM

Thank you Eggz! One last question, do I really need to change my PSU? It's 240watts now.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
April 20, 2014 7:52:20 AM

You should check your estimated power usage on an estimator from one of the power supply companies. I think the computer will probably work with the card for a while. It uses very little power - about 75 watts. But that's a really tiny power supply. I would definitely looking into upgrading it. If the computer tends to randomly blue screen with the new card, that's a sign of low power. Also, it is ever shuts off during heavy use while the power is still on, then that is a sign your power supply just gave up under the stress. You can give it a try but look out for signs. Poor power supplies can fry electronics if the supply is low quality. Be cautious with deciding whether you need one because having it kill any (or all) of your parts isn't worth the risk.
m
0
l
April 21, 2014 3:17:47 AM

By the way is AMD Radeon HD 7770 a good buy? To run game like bf3 on high resolution or better games.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
April 21, 2014 5:10:15 AM

Derrius Jiande said:
Okay so for the safety of my computer I think I will buy one. Should I go for http://www.evga.com/Products/Product.aspx?pn=01G-P4-275... or http://www.evga.com/Products/Product.aspx?pn=02G-P4-275...


Between those, the Superclocked. It's set to run at higher MHz for $10 less.

But you'll be better off going with a 750 ti card, rather than a 750. When both cards are set to the same MHz, the 750 ti will still be faster than the 750 because the 750 ti's processor is more powerful. Even though the processor on both cards is based on the same design (GM107), the 750 has portions of the processor that are actually not activated, whereas the 750 ti's chip is not locked down in the same way. The price is similar, so the performance gain is justified in cost.
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
a b U Graphics card
April 21, 2014 5:33:47 AM

Derrius Jiande said:
By the way is AMD Radeon HD 7770 a good buy? To run game like bf3 on high resolution or better games.


The 750 is something like 50-60% faster than the 7770. Unless you are getting the 7770 at a pretty heavy price discount they really aren't comparable cards. So if you are really budgeting and can pick it up for something like 70 bucks I would consider it, but you would get far better performance out of the 750.
m
0
l
April 21, 2014 7:14:33 AM

The website you gave me the currency is Euro, and I'm living in singapore, so this price is like double up T.T too expensive for me. My friend recommended me Geforce 545 is it worth to buy and run BF3 at best resolution?
m
0
l
April 21, 2014 7:33:21 AM

Traciatim said:
Derrius Jiande said:
By the way is AMD Radeon HD 7770 a good buy? To run game like bf3 on high resolution or better games.


The 750 is something like 50-60% faster than the 7770. Unless you are getting the 7770 at a pretty heavy price discount they really aren't comparable cards. So if you are really budgeting and can pick it up for something like 70 bucks I would consider it, but you would get far better performance out of the 750.


Not getting it anymore my friend is selling 2nd hand 7770 to me for SGD$130 so its like ripping off. What about Geforce gt 545?
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
April 21, 2014 7:35:03 AM

Here are the Singapore prices I could find: http://www.hardwarezone.com.sg/price-guide/196-graphics...

That lists the Gigabyte GeForce GTX 750 Ti Windforce OC as S$215. Since the S1$ is worth about $0.80, that means the card should be about $171.59 in the US if valued the same. It turns out to be about that. NewEgg prices it in USD at $169.99: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I think that's just what they cost.

As for the GT545, it's pretty slow. The GTX 750 ti is a little more than three-times faster: http://gpuboss.com/gpus/GeForce-GTX-750-Ti-vs-GeForce-G...
m
0
l
April 21, 2014 12:34:15 PM

Eggz said:
Here are the Singapore prices I could find: http://www.hardwarezone.com.sg/price-guide/196-graphics...

That lists the Gigabyte GeForce GTX 750 Ti Windforce OC as S$215. Since the S1$ is worth about $0.80, that means the card should be about $171.59 in the US if valued the same. It turns out to be about that. NewEgg prices it in USD at $169.99: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I think that's just what they cost.

As for the GT545, it's pretty slow. The GTX 750 ti is a little more than three-times faster: http://gpuboss.com/gpus/GeForce-GTX-750-Ti-vs-GeForce-G...


But I'm trying to get something near SGD$100 because I'm not sure if I can afford to buy another PSU for my computer.

m
0
l
April 21, 2014 12:37:35 PM

Oh ya and I saw a video on youtube that Geforce 545 can play bf3 on the ultra settings!
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
a b U Graphics card
April 21, 2014 12:48:35 PM

Derrius Jiande said:
Oh ya and I saw a video on youtube that Geforce 545 can play bf3 on the ultra settings!


Sure, it can play it... if you like a slide show.

The GTX750 or R7 260X are probably the better budget options that will actually play most games well. They are about 119-129USD. There are a couple of 650 ti's that are pretty good for around 109, but I would far better pay the extra 10-20 bucks for the newer, lower power, and faster 750.

As a really rough guide on performance you can check out videocardbenchmark.net . . . it's not perfect by any stretch but it gives you a rough idea of the relative performance between cards, so the 750 scores 3287, where the 545 is at 1270... nearly 3 times faster. Plus I thought the GT 545 was just for OEM builds (like brand name computer manufacturers) and not generally available for sale...

m
0
l
April 21, 2014 1:12:12 PM

Eggz said:
Derrius Jiande said:
Oh ya and I saw a video on youtube that Geforce 545 can play bf3 on the ultra settings!


That sound like a cool video. Here is some real information: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-car...

Also, I just found that video (or another one just like it): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Va8GSzjNQus

He was playing at 720p. What resolution is your monitor?



Mine is 1680x1050. So if my friend were to sell me PSU and MSI Radeon 7770 1gb 128bit GDDR5 for SGD $180 should I buy from him?
Both are 2nd hand.
m
0
l
April 21, 2014 1:14:58 PM

Traciatim said:
Derrius Jiande said:
Oh ya and I saw a video on youtube that Geforce 545 can play bf3 on the ultra settings!


Sure, it can play it... if you like a slide show.

The GTX750 or R7 260X are probably the better budget options that will actually play most games well. They are about 119-129USD. There are a couple of 650 ti's that are pretty good for around 109, but I would far better pay the extra 10-20 bucks for the newer, lower power, and faster 750.

As a really rough guide on performance you can check out videocardbenchmark.net . . . it's not perfect by any stretch but it gives you a rough idea of the relative performance between cards, so the 750 scores 3287, where the 545 is at 1270... nearly 3 times faster. Plus I thought the GT 545 was just for OEM builds (like brand name computer manufacturers) and not generally available for sale...



But I'm low on budget, because I'll have to get a PSU if I choose 750. my PSU is 240watts for now. So if my friend were to sell me PSU and MSI Radeon 7770 1gb 128bit GDDR5 for SGD $180 should I buy from him?
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
April 21, 2014 1:24:08 PM

I think you might be able to run the gtx 750 ti on your PSU. It only uses 60-75 watts. That would be the same price for about twice the performance.
m
0
l
April 21, 2014 1:47:30 PM

What would be your 2nd gfx reccomendation?
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
April 21, 2014 1:53:13 PM

Derrius Jiande said:
Eggz said:
I think you might be able to run the gtx 750 ti on your PSU. It only uses 60-75 watts. That would be the same price for about twice the performance.


http://www.pc-specs.com/gpu/Nvidia/700_Series/GeForce_G...
The website wrote SPUs 512
SPU performace 512
What does that mean?

Shader processor units. Don't worry about that unless you are comparing two cards with the same chip (e.g. 750 vs 750 ti). The only difference is that the 750 ti has more SPUs enabled (512 vs 640). They are like cores, kinda, a little bit. Like I said, don't get caught up on it. Benchmarks are what matters. Look those up. My second recommendation would be the 650 ti. It's similar performance, but the downside is that it's only very slightly less expensive. The 750 and 750 ti really are the best value and performance combination in your price range.
m
0
l
April 21, 2014 7:56:31 PM

I understand you wanting the best deal and performance. Although prices are different everywhere, use videocardbenchmark.net to compare what you are getting for your money. Don't get a 7770.

Get the card that has the highest score for the lowest price. I have used that site to cherry pick GPU's over the years and have always ended up with a fast/affordable GPU AND ALSO avoided a lot of bad deals.

+1 for 750ti

No new PSU needed for now... I used my 400w OEM PSU for a 6850/670 for over 4 years, the 750ti gets most of it power from the PCI-e slot and for the rest (like if you want to OC) you can turn 2 4pin molex into a decent 6pin, it's how I got the 2nd 6pin on my 670 (OEM PSU only came with 1 6pin).
m
0
l
April 22, 2014 3:09:45 AM

Okay I think the Geforce 750 will be the best buy, but does it require the "pin plug"(not sure what it's called)? Because I only know how to insert the graphic card in but I'm not sure if I have the plug slot. And does my motherboard have to be compatible for the 750?
My system manufacturer: LENOVO
System model:0163F7A
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
a b U Graphics card
April 22, 2014 5:12:48 AM

Derrius Jiande said:
Okay I think the Geforce 750 will be the best buy, but does it require the "pin plug"(not sure what it's called)? Because I only know how to insert the graphic card in but I'm not sure if I have the plug slot. And does my motherboard have to be compatible for the 750?
My system manufacturer: LENOVO
System model:0163F7A


According to some page I found the Lenovo Thinkcenter A85 case only supports full height but half length cards, which means only about 6.6 inches of room. Though you do have a PCI-Ex16 slot for the card to go in. You may want to measure, because a few of the 750's are slightly longer. I did find an EVGA one that's 6.7 inches, and this Zotac ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... ) one is only 5.7 inches long, which should fit.

Just as a comparison, this MSI ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... ) one is 9.8 inches long, so there is quite a difference in the designs.

m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
April 22, 2014 5:49:34 AM

Derrius Jiande, be sure and read the responses and click the links you are getting. It seems that you are asking questions that have already been answered here (e.g. the power plugs). The answer to that is in the response marked as the best solution and the links provided there.
m
0
l
April 22, 2014 12:59:48 PM

Sorry guys, it just that sometimes I don't quite get it!!
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
April 22, 2014 1:24:50 PM

Yeah, man. Sorry it's giving you so much $#1t
m
0
l
April 22, 2014 1:33:34 PM

No sorry man, you helped me a lot. Without you guys helping me I might have been even more stuck in this. Thank you guys! do I have to overclock the 750 when I buy it? Or I can buy the OC version from retail outlets? And what brand of Geforce 750 should I buy? GIGABYTE? MSI?
m
0
l
April 22, 2014 1:42:33 PM

Oh ya, singapore doesn't have EVGA.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
April 22, 2014 1:51:05 PM

Yeah, I'd say ASUS and EVGA are my favorite generally, but Gigabyte has the most effective cooler (not much of an issue for a card that runs as cool as the 750 ti). MSI is also a reputable brand, but I haven't used them as much. Pick in those options, and you'll be fine. The 750 ti isn't going to be much different across brands unless you get the OC version with power plugs.

Of the bands mentioned, only ASUS and EVGA have the OC version with power plugs. Since EVGA isn't an option, take a look at the ASUS card: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
0
l
April 22, 2014 10:43:34 PM

Traciatim said:
Derrius Jiande said:
Okay I think the Geforce 750 will be the best buy, but does it require the "pin plug"(not sure what it's called)? Because I only know how to insert the graphic card in but I'm not sure if I have the plug slot. And does my motherboard have to be compatible for the 750?
My system manufacturer: LENOVO
System model:0163F7A


According to some page I found the Lenovo Thinkcenter A85 case only supports full height but half length cards, which means only about 6.6 inches of room. Though you do have a PCI-Ex16 slot for the card to go in. You may want to measure, because a few of the 750's are slightly longer. I did find an EVGA one that's 6.7 inches, and this Zotac ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... ) one is only 5.7 inches long, which should fit.

Just as a comparison, this MSI ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... ) one is 9.8 inches long, so there is quite a difference in the designs.



I have checked the slot but mine is only 3.5 inches!!!

m
0
l
April 23, 2014 4:00:23 AM

I think I'll try upgrading the RAM first and see if it work. Cost 3.5inches I cant install GFX :( 
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
a b U Graphics card
April 23, 2014 5:25:19 AM

Derrius Jiande said:
Traciatim said:
Derrius Jiande said:
Okay I think the Geforce 750 will be the best buy, but does it require the "pin plug"(not sure what it's called)? Because I only know how to insert the graphic card in but I'm not sure if I have the plug slot. And does my motherboard have to be compatible for the 750?
My system manufacturer: LENOVO
System model:0163F7A


According to some page I found the Lenovo Thinkcenter A85 case only supports full height but half length cards, which means only about 6.6 inches of room. Though you do have a PCI-Ex16 slot for the card to go in. You may want to measure, because a few of the 750's are slightly longer. I did find an EVGA one that's 6.7 inches, and this Zotac ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... ) one is only 5.7 inches long, which should fit.

Just as a comparison, this MSI ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... ) one is 9.8 inches long, so there is quite a difference in the designs.



I have checked the slot but mine is only 3.5 inches!!!



It's not the length of the slot that the card goes in, the slot should always look like this: http://www.interfacebus.com/PCIe_16x_Connector.gif or the long slots in this image: PCI-E Slot Image

The size problem is the space in the case between the metal backing that the graphics card would screw in to (at the back of the case) and then whatever is blocking at the front of the case (which is usually a hard drive caddy of some sort, or maybe a fan mount system or something). Take a look at this image: http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/downloads/detail.page?D... . . . see the cage thing number 6 is pointing to, and the slots near, but beside where number 7 is pointing to that your ports where your monitor would plug in to the video card through the case. You'd measure between those two things.

If you look at http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... and notice in the third picture that the card and fan is only slightly longer than the PCI-E connector on the bottom of the card. But if you looks at the MSI card here http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... the PCI-E connector is the exact same size, it's just the size of the card itself is much longer so it hangs over the back of the PCI-E slot on your motherboard much more. If you have a case that has some type of metal cage to hold hard drives or something blocking a long card
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
April 23, 2014 6:16:54 AM

Fitting a graphics card isn't as complicated as you think. If you have any standard sized case, then you'll be able to fit a 750 ti. You do have a standard sized case according to Lenovo's webiste: http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/detail.page?LegacyDocID...

Any of the 750 ti cards without power plugs will definately fit, and the ones with power plug probably will still fit. Measure if you want to check on that. But remember, you're just measuring how much empty space is around the PCI-e slot - that's it. There really aren't cards smaller than the 750 ti, so there is no worry about whether it should fit. You only need to worry about that for full-length cards. If you want to play it safe, just order from a place that allows free returns (e.g. Amazon).
m
0
l
April 24, 2014 3:55:04 AM

Eggz said:
Fitting a graphics card isn't as complicated as you think. If you have any standard sized case, then you'll be able to fit a 750 ti. You do have a standard sized case according to Lenovo's webiste: http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/detail.page?LegacyDocID...

Any of the 750 ti cards without power plugs will definately fit, and the ones with power plug probably will still fit. Measure if you want to check on that. But remember, you're just measuring how much empty space is around the PCI-e slot - that's it. There really aren't cards smaller than the 750 ti, so there is no worry about whether it should fit. You only need to worry about that for full-length cards. If you want to play it safe, just order from a place that allows free returns (e.g. Amazon).


I went to search for 750ti and is cost $279 in Singapore!! Way too expensive, I guess will be going for 640 $149. But not sure if it's good.

m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
April 24, 2014 6:36:37 AM

The gtx 640 is several times slower than the 750 ti. http://gpuboss.com/gpus/GeForce-GTX-750-Ti-vs-GeForce-G...

It is perhaps so slow that the integrated graphics on your CPU will perform similarly; that is, the gtx 640 would likely not be only slighter faster than having no graphics card at all. It will certainly no be a gaming GPU. Still you may see some small improvement. It's up to you. I'd save some money for the 750 ti.
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
a b U Graphics card
April 24, 2014 6:48:20 AM

I would also wait and save money for a real gaming card. I don't think you need the ti edition of the 750, but most of the cheap cards are cheap because they aren't very good.

The reason we are saying the 750/750ti is because they use so little power. In most cases any good gaming card is going to require a 6-pin PCI-E power connector, and at that point your power supply probably won't be good enough so you'd have to replace it as well.
m
0
l
!