Do I Have A Faulty Power Supply?

Hey guys

I built a computer using all new parts about a year ago. A few months ago, I've been witnessing some funky behavior from my build, and I'm pretty sure it's a power supply issue, however, I wanted to be sure before I spend a good 100 bucks on a new supply.

My Build:
Asus P8H61-M LE Series MOBO
Intel Core i3 Third Gen Proccessor 3.30 GHz
8 GB Ram
Seagate 1TB SSHD 8GB SSD
ULTRA 550 Watt ATX Power Supply

Symptoms:
A few months ago, I started noticing that my computer, after a few hours of use, would reboot. After the reboot, it would work fine. Then, after a few weeks, when the computer would reboot, the monitor would receive no signal from the machine, and the hard drive and DVD drive would not be receiving power. Now, the computer turns on and then shuts off within 15 minutes, and won't turn back on. The little green light on the mother board is on, but the computer won't start.

Thoughts?
5 answers Last reply
More about faulty power supply
  1. Have you monitored the voltages the PSU is putting out? IE the 12, 5 and 3.3V lines.
  2. ahnilated said:
    Have you monitored the voltages the PSU is putting out? IE the 12, 5 and 3.3V lines.


    How do I do this? Sorry, I'm not very knowledgable in this area...
  3. Shubhankar710 said:
    ahnilated said:
    Have you monitored the voltages the PSU is putting out? IE the 12, 5 and 3.3V lines.


    How do I do this? Sorry, I'm not very knowledgable in this area...


    You can look in the bios of your computer and it should tell you.
  4. ahnilated said:
    Shubhankar710 said:
    ahnilated said:
    Have you monitored the voltages the PSU is putting out? IE the 12, 5 and 3.3V lines.


    How do I do this? Sorry, I'm not very knowledgable in this area...


    You can look in the bios of your computer and it should tell you.



    Well the computer isn't even turning on anymore, so I'm just gonna go out and swap out the PSU
  5. Shubhankar710 said:
    Well the computer isn't even turning on anymore, so I'm just gonna go out and swap out the PSU


    Just make sure you don't get another Ultra Products PSU.

    You can get a high quality PSU for your system configuration for less than $100 US.

    E.g. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151093
Ask a new question

Read More

Power Supplies Computers Build Components