8350 at 4.8 ghz, money to spare, intel?

Zeus310

Reputable
Apr 18, 2014
I'm currently running a water clocked 8350 at 4.8 ghz, but i've got money to spare and am considering swapping to an intel 4670k or a 4770k, there are practically no benchmarks comparing the two cpu types (amd and intel) in performance on world of warcaft, so I'm wondering if anyone on here has some feedback

Solution
in that case if all you do is playing single threaded cpu intensive games, yes an i5 4670k is your best bet at reaching the best performances in games...if you want to still have some more future proofing in case you like to enjoy next gen games like watch dogs or something and you have the budget go with the i7 4770k...and try to get the most money out of the parts you no longer need...

Zeus310

Reputable
Apr 18, 2014
Well, it does run quite decently but my issue is that once we get into situations where the place is packed with people my frame takes a massive dip, and my amd cpu stutters heavily in a various amount of situations, from what i've been able to gather stuttering is very very rare with intel cpu's (I'm currently running 2 760's oc'ed to 1250 mhz core in sli so i'm relatively sure it's not a gpu issue as most games run quite well on sli)

SLI isn't officially supported for World of Warcraft so maybe it's Gpu driver related make sure the game is in Directx 11 mode that should help too currently the game will do SLI in alternate frame rendering but it has to be forced and is usually not scaling as well as it is intended. if wow did officiallty suppoort it you would see even better performance in sli or xfire across the baord.

paitjsu sadff

Honorable
Jan 29, 2014
yes i second on that disable your second GPU and the stuttering will go away...this CPU you have is plenty enough to OBLITERATE WoW in every way possible every gaming scenario all day long...

Moving to a 4 thread/ 4 core CPU at this point in time would be a no brainer, your 8 core FX is much better rounded for the next generations of games that is about to hit the market...those games will make much better use of the 8 core CPU's and the single-threaded games that use 1 or 2 super heavy threads will soon be a thing of the past, so intel CPU's will no longer score that great in benchmarks even with their better IPC...

Here is official tom's hardware 2013 Total time chart for 35 tests featuring single-thread and multi-thread tasks you can see the FX-8350 CPU is better than a core i5 even at stock clock of 4.0ghz... :

http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/cpu-charts-2013/-36-Total-Time,3179.html

Passmark software CPU benchmarks also feature a lot of tests including integer math, prime numbers, floating points math, physics, encryption, compression, extended instructions (SSE), sorting, single-thread performance etc. also declare the FX 8 core winner by a good margin, see it competes with even the all mighty core i7 up there...again at 4.0ghz only..
http://www.cpubenchmark.net/common_cpus.html

Zeus310

Reputable
Apr 18, 2014
The thing is though that I've attempted to disable sli and that essentially does nothing, there may be a 5-10 fps difference at the very most but it's not something i notice.

additionally I do play planetside 2 quite a bit on the side and from what I've seen I'd essentially double my fps both min and avg in that game and I'd do way better in rome 2, a game i'd love to play if I could pass 60 fps, i know wow doesn't utilise multi core well, and never will because the game engine is stone age and they have no plans to upgrade it for the foreseeable future. But essentially where I'm comming from is, I play games that go single core performance > multicore, and those games probably wont change that due to how their engines work, (for WoW going beyond 660ti there are no real benefits fps wise)

So my question more or less is. With me having the money to afford a AIO 140mm rad, a case to acomodate it+the 4670k or 4770k am I going to see any improvements in CPU intensive games Assuming I reach an overclock of say 4.6 ghz on either of the before mentioned cpus

paitjsu sadff

Honorable
Jan 29, 2014
in that case if all you do is playing single threaded cpu intensive games, yes an i5 4670k is your best bet at reaching the best performances in games...if you want to still have some more future proofing in case you like to enjoy next gen games like watch dogs or something and you have the budget go with the i7 4770k...and try to get the most money out of the parts you no longer need...

Solution

Zeus310

Reputable
Apr 18, 2014

Thanks a ton, I'll probably go with the 4770k as watch dogs and a few other titles do look quite interesting, and I don't think I'll have any troubles selling my current cpu as it does clock its way up to 5.0 ghz and pass prime95 at that clock, although i opted to keep it at 4.8 for the sake of longevity.