Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Setting up SSD as cache for HDD

Tags:
  • SSD
  • Cache
  • Storage
  • Hard Drives
Last response: in Storage
Share
April 19, 2014 7:39:52 AM

I have seen "hybrid" drive that have a small SSD incorporated to be used as cache for a large HDD. Can I do the same with my SSD/HDD setup?

Using Windows 7 64 home, I have my OS set up on a 120gb SSD and 3 HDDs for storage. What I would like to do is purchase another SSD/HDD for OS and general storage and use my old SSD/HDD set up in the same manner for gaming and then an additional HDD for manual back ups.


Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

More about : setting ssd cache hdd

a b G Storage
April 19, 2014 9:28:32 AM

SluggoV2 said:
I have seen "hybrid" drive that have a small SSD incorporated to be used as cache for a large HDD. Can I do the same with my SSD/HDD setup?

Using Windows 7 64 home, I have my OS set up on a 120gb SSD and 3 HDDs for storage. What I would like to do is purchase another SSD/HDD for OS and general storage and use my old SSD/HDD set up in the same manner for gaming and then an additional HDD for manual back ups.


Any advice would be greatly appreciated.



Sure, you can do this with Intel's Smart Repsonse Technology if you have a motherboard with Intel SATA controllers that support SSD caching.
Marvell hyperduo controllers can do this as well. If you have neither on your motherboard, then you can buy a SATA controller add-on card with Marvell 9230 controller to do this.
m
0
l
a c 253 G Storage
April 19, 2014 11:42:17 AM

TyrOd said:
SluggoV2 said:
I have seen "hybrid" drive that have a small SSD incorporated to be used as cache for a large HDD. Can I do the same with my SSD/HDD setup?

Using Windows 7 64 home, I have my OS set up on a 120gb SSD and 3 HDDs for storage. What I would like to do is purchase another SSD/HDD for OS and general storage and use my old SSD/HDD set up in the same manner for gaming and then an additional HDD for manual back ups.


Any advice would be greatly appreciated.



Sure, you can do this with Intel's Smart Repsonse Technology if you have a motherboard with Intel SATA controllers that support SSD caching.
Marvell hyperduo controllers can do this as well. If you have neither on your motherboard, then you can buy a SATA controller add-on card with Marvell 9230 controller to do this.


With Intel SRT the SSD size is limited to 64 GB. I don't know if Marvell has any size restrictions.

Yogi

m
0
l
a b G Storage
April 19, 2014 1:56:55 PM

Y0GI said:
TyrOd said:
SluggoV2 said:
I have seen "hybrid" drive that have a small SSD incorporated to be used as cache for a large HDD. Can I do the same with my SSD/HDD setup?

Using Windows 7 64 home, I have my OS set up on a 120gb SSD and 3 HDDs for storage. What I would like to do is purchase another SSD/HDD for OS and general storage and use my old SSD/HDD set up in the same manner for gaming and then an additional HDD for manual back ups.


Any advice would be greatly appreciated.



Sure, you can do this with Intel's Smart Repsonse Technology if you have a motherboard with Intel SATA controllers that support SSD caching.
Marvell hyperduo controllers can do this as well. If you have neither on your motherboard, then you can buy a SATA controller add-on card with Marvell 9230 controller to do this.


With Intel SRT the SSD size is limited to 64 GB. I don't know if Marvell has any size restrictions.

Yogi



This is true. Marvell has no size restrictions and you can use any combination of 4 drives in RAID 0,1,10 and hyperduo cache with write-back or write-through.
m
0
l
!