FX-4300 acceptable OCing with stock cooler/heatsink?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JR1988

Reputable
Apr 15, 2014
I have MSI 760GMA-P34 mobo

I bumped it up to through AMD/ati Catalyst software from stock 3.8ghz tried 3.9-4ghz it really starts getting significantly warmer easily upward into 50-55c?!! shouldn't really be any warmer than that correct? or can I go higher??? this CPU feels more "bottlenecked"/slower than my previous build with I7 920 first gen..... unfortunately.... also installed a 550 watt PSU... it came with a underrated 400w psu and really 30amps+ is pushing it on the 400w unit for my Radeon 5750....

Some Info/help would be much appreciated thank you!

Solution
You should not overclock on stock cooling and a poor power supply , you may damage your components.

Note: That board is not meant for overclocking.

Due to the poor power and thermal design of that motherboard overclocking should be avoided.

Invest in a decent motherboard and a cooler if serious about overclocking.

Dark Lord of Tech

Retired Moderator
You should not overclock on stock cooling and a poor power supply , you may damage your components.

Note: That board is not meant for overclocking.

Due to the poor power and thermal design of that motherboard overclocking should be avoided.

Invest in a decent motherboard and a cooler if serious about overclocking.

Solution

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
AMD in its wisdom, made multiple CPUs able to be OC'd, and the fx-4300 is one of them. RMAs unfortunately, from burned up CPUs, have forced them to 1 conclusion. They supply the cpu with a respectable cooler, that under max usage will be barely enough to keep temps.

Simple answer. If you want to OC your CPU, get an aftermarket cooler capable of cooling more than the wattage of your CPU. At @ $30 USD, the CoolerMaster hyper212 plus or EVO is capable of cooling up to 180 watts, that's 95 for your CPU plus any additional from the OC. Set with a decent fan curve, it'll run cool and quiet as the fan will not reach 100% unless you seriously OC, like speeds of 4.5+GHz.

Side note; the mobo you have is barely capable of supporting an fx series CPU. To truly be able to take an fx to its potential, you need a 970 or better yet a 990 series mobo which were designed for the fx. The fx were an afterthought for the 760G boards, hense the need for a bios update.

The Fx-4300 stock cooler is bad, but at least it does have a small vapor chamber. It's just that the extruded aluminum which makes up the bulk of the heat sink is so poor. You could do a moderate overclock with it but don't push it too far or that motherboard may burst into flames if you try an OC like the one in my signature.

JR1988

Reputable
Apr 15, 2014
I'm running it at 4ghz right now with stock cooling its pretty warm 55-58c full load/gaming etc .....Radeon 5750 750-800mhz core 1200-1300mhz memory etc lol, that 5750 just smokes that newer R7 240 2gb I have no comparison that's a shitty card/GPU lol

You should see the one that came with my Athlon 760K. It's like yours but without the small copper vapor chamber under it It's quite possibly the worst POS stock cooler I have ever seen, and I have had plenty of just plain aluminum small stock heat sinks.

I heard people actually do buy them, and rather quickly. I have dozens of them in a bin. The ones that come with heat pipes for the 125W chips aren't too bad for small form factor.

manigma

Commendable
Jul 13, 2016
With stock cooling its possible to overclock FX-4300 (black) but to a limit. Yesterday I overclocked to 4.4Ghz with below settings:

25s2wwo.jpg

My MoBo is cheap 3+1 phase Gigabyte GA-78LMT-S2. PSU is Corsair VS550.

The temp rise was 5 degrees only at full load (thermal margin reached 18). Benchmarks (Geekbench and AMD Overdrive) improved by 20% but Rise of Tomb Raider had no effect at all.

Overall the system is very stable and fast. So yes, with stock cooling/heatsink 4.4Ghz is acceptable or even more if you have a better MoBo. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.