CMOS Battery Reset Problems

As a result of the infromation from this thread. I reset my CMOS through taking the battery out and putting it back in after draining the power. It has now just resulted in the screen going completely black. No picture is displayed however the monitor is on and receiving an input from the computer as there is no indication from the monitor that it is not. The computer turns on fine but there is no picture...
19 answers Last reply
More about cmos battery reset problems
  1. What mobo and CPU? If you have a CPU with on board graphics may need to go to the mobos graphics port and go into BIOS and change the primary graphics to PCI-E
  2. What motherboard and CPU are you running?
  3. Tradesman1 said:
    What mobo and CPU? If you have a CPU with on board graphics may need to go to the mobos graphics port and go into BIOS and change the primary graphics to PCI-E


    I am sorry but honestly, I have no idea what you just said
  4. Tradesman1 said:
    What motherboard and CPU are you running?


    As for the motherboard: M4A88T-V EVO/USB3

    But for the CPU, I have no idea
  5. OK, did you put the battery back in the mobo correctly? If using a graphics card unplug the video cable from it and plug in to the mobo (motherboard) video output and then start up and see if you get picture to the monitor. If so, restart again and go into BIOS, and find the setting for primary Graphics or primary graphics adapter and set that to PCI, PCI-E or the like, then save shutdown and change the monitor cable back to the graphics card
  6. Tradesman1 said:
    OK, did you put the battery back in the mobo correctly? If using a graphics card unplug the video cable from it and plug in to the mobo (motherboard) video output and then start up and see if you get picture to the monitor. If so, restart again and go into BIOS, and find the setting for primary Graphics or primary graphics adapter and set that to PCI, PCI-E or the like, then save shutdown and change the monitor cable back to the graphics card


    How do I know if it is in correctly?
  7. Normally the shiny side with lettering, etc will be ontop/showing
  8. Tradesman1 said:
    Normally the shiny side with lettering, etc will be ontop/showing


    Then I did put it in correctly

    So should I try unplugging the blue cable and putting it back in?
  9. Is the cable plugged into a graphics card in the computer or just to the mobo itself?
  10. Tradesman1 said:
    Is the cable plugged into a graphics card in the computer or just to the mobo itself?


    It's plugged into the graphics card
  11. Unplug from graphics card and plug into the similar port from the mobo
  12. Tradesman1 said:
    Unplug from graphics card and plug into the similar port from the mobo


    My motherboard port didn't want to have the cable in it so I dug up a HDMI cable from the garage and plugged it in to the motherboard's HDMI port. Now my monitor is going into power saving mode...

    Update: Manually restarted my computer then it went back to the same thing ,after plugging it into my graphics card , where it is on and receiving an input but it is not displaying anything
  13. Edit: I switched out my HDMI for the blue cable again and tried, same thing.
  14. Tried to reset it again and place the battery exactly back where it was and I ran into the same problem
  15. Reset the CMOS again and changed DSUB into the graphics port and it came up, entered BIOS at the American Megatrends screen then it froze, restarted and now the screen has gone back to normal

    EDIT: After a few minutes the monitor responded with the screen again, pressed F2 to load default values and continue. Took me to the old Microsoft corporation loading bar and monitor went black again
  16. Do you have a different PSU you can try, may want to bench it and go through piece by piece, hae a guide that might help here:

    http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-1753671/bench-troubleshooting.html
  17. Tradesman1 said:
    Do you have a different PSU you can try, may want to bench it and go through piece by piece, hae a guide that might help here:

    http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-1753671/bench-troubleshooting.html


    Taken it in to a friend and he is taking a look at it, thanks a lot for your help and I will tell you what was wrong with it once I get it back
  18. Will be waiting to hear ;)
  19. Tradesman1 said:
    Will be waiting to hear ;)


    Just got told that the hard drive was corrupt and that was what's wrong
Ask a new question

Read More

Battery Computers Monitors CMOS Motherboards