i3 540 and R9 290

Nick72

Reputable
Apr 19, 2014
Hello everyone,
I am new to this tech stuff.
Well,I am upgrading my pc and I have got few parts.
My question is that,I have got an R9 290 delivered to me today and my new cpu i7 4770k will be coming next month as its out of stock right now.So if I put my new R9 290 with my current i3 540,will it harm my pc?I know it will bottleneck but its just for a few weeks?So can I put the gpu inside my pc now?My Psu is an Antec VP650,is it ok?Thanks..

Solution
you won't hurt anything by bottlenecking, and your psu should be fine as long as its in decent shape.

also as a side note, your new cpu will require i new motherboard to go with it as well. you might know this already but you didnt mention it, so i figured i would.
you won't hurt anything by bottlenecking, and your psu should be fine as long as its in decent shape.

also as a side note, your new cpu will require i new motherboard to go with it as well. you might know this already but you didnt mention it, so i figured i would.

Solution

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
At 50A combined for the 2x 12v+ rails, the psu is good for a r9 290 and OC 4770k.

Yes it will bottle neck, but as compared to whatever you are upgrading from, you will not see it until you finally match the gpu with a CPU capable of handling its output.

Won't hurt your system in the slightest.

Running your existing CPU will only make the video card perform at about one-half its strength. Once you upgrade the CPU, then the video card will run at its full potential. No harm there. You just need to run games at your current settings or slightly higher settings for now.