New FX-8350 CPU jumping temps + stupidly high temp reading (Over 150C!)

nate vongrimm

Honorable
Jul 29, 2012
I recently installed a new AMD FX-8350 and the core temperature is really jumpy.
The program I am using to read the temp is Core Temp.
The temps jump from 16C to 30C.
It never happened with my Phenom II.
Is this normal?

Also, Core Temp registered the CPU hitting 192C but only for a split second.
k2wyQjF.png

I set Core Temp to give me a notification when the core temp is over 90C.
It has registered temps over 90C 3 times in less than 24 hours but only for less than a second.
My BIOS is also set to give me an alert when the core temp hits 80C and is set to shut itself off when it hits 90C but none of these happened.
I have also tried using another temp reader called HWmonitor but I have not been able to replicate this issue since.
The first 2 times it popped up, I was watching a video in VLC player and the 3rd time was when I took a screen cap of the image above.
Is Core Temp just being very stupid or do I have a faulty CPU?

Solution

FromTheDepths

Honorable
Dec 25, 2013
Temps can't really jump that high instantaneously, so I'm thinking your Socket is reporting innacurately.
Even with no cooling at all, temperatures aren't going to rocket that high so quickly.

Open up your case and feel your heatsink as your rig idles, just be careful.
Check if how it feels matches up with what's being reported.

BnG

Honorable
Nov 1, 2013
1. It can be a fault in the program itself. --> I remember some cases in which HWmonitor also displayed false info.
2. Is the cooler situated correctly? (bit unlikely but worth a shot).

nate vongrimm

Honorable
Jul 29, 2012

The socket used to read my old phenom II temps correctly. What do you think could cause the socket to start reading incorrectly?

nate vongrimm

Honorable
Jul 29, 2012

My first thought was Core Temp being bugged. I installed HWmonitor just to be sure but I am waiting for the high temp to come back.

The cooler is situated correctly.

BnG

Honorable
Nov 1, 2013

I honestly think it is a fault in Core Temp as the temps aren't that high for a longer period of time. May the case be that the temps also occur in HWmonitor, maybe re-apply thermal paste and as a bonus therefore remove / reseat the cooler?

nate vongrimm

Honorable
Jul 29, 2012

HWmonitor picks up the jumpy core temps but it hasn't picked up stupidly high temps.
But I re-applied thermal paste and decided to check the BIOS and see what it was reading.
The BIOS was reading the CPU temp at 45C and was stable at that temp. No jumping around.
I would also try SpeedFan but it doesn't find my CPU.
But even with re-applying the thermal paste, nothing has changed.

Could my CPU possibly be faulty?

BnG

Honorable
Nov 1, 2013

Probably not. Try stress testing it with for e.a. prime 95? It will display pretty much the most extreme temperatures you are ever going to experience while gaming etc (even then the stresstest will probably display higher temps).

Max temps for 8350:

MAX Core temps is 61.1°C

MAX socket temp is 70°C

Try the prime 95 and if something starts going wrong just close out the program. If prime 95 displays stable temps there is nothing to worry about.

Solution

nate vongrimm

Honorable
Jul 29, 2012
So I did some more research and it turns out that there have been a number of reports of the 8320 and 8350 having a bad algorithm that only gives accurate temps when under load.
Surprised this hasn't been fixed by now but at least I know my CPU is perfectly fine. Just really crap that I can't see my idle temps.

BnG

Honorable
Nov 1, 2013

Ah well, unfortunately you aren't the only one experiencing flaws with AMD :p. There price/performance ratio is quite good, but my vote vs the 8350 would always the be 3570k ;).