Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Home Built Gaming PC, Going to upgrade it but want to use old parts to build budget PC for (11yr old son)

Last response: in Components
Share
April 20, 2014 10:52:34 AM

Okay, I have a gaming PC that I pulled together (1st and only one) a couple of years ago with generous help from guys on this forum. I now need to get my 11year old son a budget gaming PC (want it to be more than capable as he gets older he will need it to do more).

In order to cut costs (when selling idea this to my wife) we will be doing a bit of an upgrade on my PC and letting him use the (FREE) discarded elements from mine with his budget build.

Which elements should I be looking to upgrade to my PC to maybe improve its performance but mainly to create a usable and decent gaming PC for the boy.

What I have at the moment;

Intel Sandybridge i5-2500K Unlocked Core i5 Quad-Core Processor (3.30GHz, 6MB Cache, Socket 1155)
Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 Motherboard (Socket 1155, ATX, DDR3, USB 3.0, HDMI, Bluetooth Module)
Antec Twelve Hundred V3
Corsair CMZ16GX3M4A1600C9B 16GB (4x4GB) 1600MHz CL9 DDR3 Vengeance Blu Memory Four Module Kit
OCZ 2.5 inch 60GB Vertex 3 Series SATA III Solid State Drive
Antec CP-850 - Power supply ( internal ) - ATX12V 2.3/ EPS12V 2.91 - AC 100-240 V - 850 Watt - active PFC
Microsoft windows 7 Professional
ASUS VE247H 24 inch LED Widescreen Full HD 1080p Support with HDMI 2ms Response Time Splendid
Radeon 5800 Series
old 500GB hard drive

My instinct is that I give him the hard drive and the graphics card and replace these in mine and then look to buy all the other bits for his?

Considering a low cost option under £250 - £450 (if possible) and then a slightly higher spec for him at £500+.

Are these figures realistic? Any Suggestions?
a c 615 4 Gaming
April 20, 2014 6:47:13 PM

Hard Drive, GPU as you are thinking and maybe the SSD and get you a 128 SSD. Then for him might look at a 6300 or or so, mobo, 8GB DRAM, budget case, PSU, et al
m
0
l
May 7, 2014 8:02:47 AM

Hmm..
There's really no need to DIY build a gaming PC as it's very time-consuming and too bothersome to do (Just my opinion)
This is a boutique custom gaming PC that is super budget-effective and will be able to handle any task he wants for many years:
https://www.digitalstormonline.com/configurator.asp?id=...
Well, if you insist on going the DIY way, here's a DIY build that will save even more on your budget. Don't get discarded parts, they'll likely have issues or mechanical problems after heavy usage.
http://pcpartpicker.com/parts/partlist/
No need to thank me, you're welcome? ^^
m
0
l
Related resources
May 7, 2014 10:30:35 PM

i7 4960X Extreme Edition
Quad Titan Blacks
Rampage IV Black
64GB Dominator RAM
3x Tesla K20 Computing Processors
Custom Copper Liquid Cooling System
6 1TB SSDs in RAID 50
Asus PQ321Q 4K Monitor
Total cost: Nearly 40K
Of course, you can remove the K20s. You definitely can't go wrong with this build. Best of all, it'll be the best birthday present he gets and he will be indebted to you for life.
:lol: 
m
0
l
May 12, 2014 2:35:14 AM

Just keep your current build it's great. Get a 5800k, it's a quad core and it's GPU is good enough for pretty much any game at low settings. He's 11, he doesn't need to play BF4 at max settings.
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
May 12, 2014 2:38:05 AM

Death Prodigy said:
Hmm..
There's really no need to DIY build a gaming PC as it's very time-consuming and too bothersome to do (Just my opinion)
This is a boutique custom gaming PC that is super budget-effective and will be able to handle any task he wants for many years:
https://www.digitalstormonline.com/configurator.asp?id=...
Well, if you insist on going the DIY way, here's a DIY build that will save even more on your budget. Don't get discarded parts, they'll likely have issues or mechanical problems after heavy usage.
http://pcpartpicker.com/parts/partlist/
No need to thank me, you're welcome? ^^


You've got to be trolling. That thing costs $36,000.
Also, your second link is not set up correctly.
m
0
l
May 20, 2014 10:26:23 PM

No I ain't trolling I am serious.
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
May 27, 2014 3:50:15 PM

Death Prodigy said:
No I ain't trolling I am serious.


That's not a budget PC at all. That's more than some people make in a year.
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
May 27, 2014 4:13:33 PM

Death Prodigy said:
Hmm..
There's really no need to DIY build a gaming PC as it's very time-consuming and too bothersome to do (Just my opinion)
This is a boutique custom gaming PC that is super budget-effective and will be able to handle any task he wants for many years:
https://www.digitalstormonline.com/configurator.asp?id=...


Dude....really? :pfff: 
m
0
l
May 29, 2014 4:35:34 AM

Is this more budget-friendly?
https://www.digitalstormonline.com/configurator.asp?id=...
Looks like the right balance of performance and budget, plus it's future-proof enough to play ANY game at 4K resolution at maximum settings for the next 5 years at least, and run the most demanding and intensive video editing programs smoothly.
m
0
l
May 29, 2014 4:49:22 AM

I'm not trolling, what I'm trying to say is expecting a build that costs £400-£500 is unrealistic if you want a machine that packs performance.
This is just about as budget as I'd get:
https://www.digitalstormonline.com/configurator.asp?id=...
Even then, it won't give you great performance but it should suffice for the next couple of years or so playing at max settings in 1080p. Don't get me wrong, 1080p may not look as good as crazy resolutions like 4K or even 1440p, but it's the common standard for most people today, and it actually looks pretty good.
By the way, since your currency is in £, I'm assuming your from UK. I heard the custom gaming PC builder Overclockers.UK is pretty good, and you might even want to check out their 8Pack Supernova, it's really a beast of a machine with an overclocked i7 4930K, 16GB of 2400MHz RAM, triple overclocked and water-cooled Titan Blacks, and a custom dual-loop cooling system.
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
May 29, 2014 1:57:13 PM

Death Prodigy said:
I'm not trolling, what I'm trying to say is expecting a build that costs £400-£500 is unrealistic if you want a machine that packs performance.
This is just about as budget as I'd get:
https://www.digitalstormonline.com/configurator.asp?id=...
Even then, it won't give you great performance but it should suffice for the next couple of years or so playing at max settings in 1080p. Don't get me wrong, 1080p may not look as good as crazy resolutions like 4K or even 1440p, but it's the common standard for most people today, and it actually looks pretty good.
By the way, since your currency is in £, I'm assuming your from UK. I heard the custom gaming PC builder Overclockers.UK is pretty good, and you might even want to check out their 8Pack Supernova, it's really a beast of a machine with an overclocked i7 4930K, 16GB of 2400MHz RAM, triple overclocked and water-cooled Titan Blacks, and a custom dual-loop cooling system.


You must be pretty badly out of touch with most of society, to be honest. £3000 is considered high end, and a lot to spend on a gaming PC. Not budget at all. A decent budget gaming PC can be built for $700 to run games on high settings, if not necessarily ultra.

The more expensive builds you listed, like the £36,000 option, are literally not possible for 99% of the population. That is, as mentioned, more than many individuals make in an entire year. Since nobody can eat games and live in an ATX full tower, that much would take many years to save and could, in fact, buy a very poor house or a nice car with no payments after the fact.
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
May 29, 2014 2:05:52 PM

Death Prodigy said:
I'm not trolling, what I'm trying to say is expecting a build that costs £400-£500 is unrealistic if you want a machine that packs performance.
This is just about as budget as I'd get:
https://www.digitalstormonline.com/configurator.asp?id=...


$3500? For what is basically a toy for an 11 year old? Really?
1/2 or even 1/3 would give you 95+% of the performance.

i7?
16GB RAM?
Liquid cooling?

For an 11 year old? Come back to earth, man.
m
1
l

Best solution

a b 4 Gaming
May 29, 2014 4:32:23 PM

@death

if you think those suggestions were budget oriented then you are out of touch with reality. most people only spend $1000-1500 on builds with some spending less. in any case the op stated their budget.

something like this...

nice little case (i've used it before) 30gbp
http://www.amazon.co.uk/HEC-Compucase-Cougar-Spike-Micr...

fx6300 75gbp
http://www.amazon.co.uk/AMD-FX6300-Edition-4-1GHz-Socke...

m5a97 r2 combo 59gbp
http://www.amazon.co.uk/ASUS-Motherboard-Phenom-Sempron...

2x4gb ram 59gbp
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Corsair-CML8GX3M2A1600C9-Vengea...

xfx 550w psu 49gbp
http://www.amazon.co.uk/XFX-ATX-550-Power-Supply/dp/B00...

that comes out to 242gbp not counting a windows license, graphics card (you said you would give him one) or hard drive (you said you would give him one) or cpu cooler (assuming he wont oc and will run stock).

if you swapped out for an fx8320 that would be an additional 30gbp but better performance
http://www.amazon.co.uk/AMD-FX8320-Edition-4-0GHz-Socke...

a gtx770 can be had for 219gbp
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Palit-GeForce-Graphics-Express-...

and a faster hard drive perhaps than the old one can be used for 39gbp
http://www.amazon.co.uk/1TB-inch-Internal-Hard-Drive/dp...

that would be 560gbp for something that should do fairly well for most games (med to high settings)

considering that it doesnt have an os, peripherals or monitor you could dial it back a bit.

you could also go partway and just bump up the cpu and get a mid ranged gpu. that should allow enough room to perhaps nab some cheap peripherals from the bargain bin, a windows license and a cheapo monitor.
Share
a b 4 Gaming
May 29, 2014 7:48:38 PM

Death Prodigy said:
Best of all, it'll be the best birthday present he gets and he will be indebted to you for life.
:lol: 


Indeed, $32,000 is the cost of a decent car, you would have to take on debt just to pay for it.

m
0
l
!