Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Need help: mATX or mini-ITX mid-budget gaming build

Last response: in Components
Share
April 20, 2014 11:09:24 AM

Hello!

I need some help in building a mATX or mini-ITX mid-budget gaming build!
I was planning to go with AMD instead of Intel/Nvidia because i could fit the parts into my budget of ~850€ easier. This would unfortunately force me to use a crappy mobo though, so i looked at a possible Intel/Nvidia mini-ITX build too. I can't deside between them, and am not sure if either one of them would be the best choice for me...

I want a small form factor build because i need to carry it around often, and it would be impossible to move a big case around on a motorbike :p 

The games i mostly play are Arma III, DayZ and Dota 2 which i would like to run at very high/ultra.
I play at 1920x1080.
(even my current G73JH runs Dota 2 on ultra so that is not a problem)

I might also record/stream games at some point.

Amd, mATX:
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3v6Lw

Intel/Nvidia, mini-ITX:
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3vbVh

Thanks -Derp
a b 4 Gaming
April 20, 2014 12:09:00 PM

Use the ASUS M5A97 is you want the AMD build.Then the AMD/Intel build would have about the same prices. I'd go with the intel build. however, the fx-line of processors are unlocked, and this Intel one isn't. Also, that SSD has been having a lot of complaints, citing the NAND memory used. Here's a samsung one that doesn't have as nearly as many critical review. I changes the case to try to make it closer to your budget, although you can change it to preference(obviously).

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3vdSi
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3vdSi/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3vdSi/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($209.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.98 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H87N-WIFI Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard ($110.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: A-Data XPG V1.0 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($64.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($80.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($82.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 770 2GB Video Card ($334.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master HAF Stacker 915F Mini ITX Tower Case ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: XFX 650W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($69.99 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($19.98 @ OutletPC)
Total: $1064.87
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-04-20 15:08 EDT-0400)
m
0
l
April 20, 2014 12:46:46 PM

You can easily fit a good AMD build into 850 budget. Case is very subjective to your liking, but the challenger is very good.
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3vflk

Edit: Whoops, didn't notice that it was in euros. You could probably add an ssd in there because of the currency conversion.
m
0
l
Related resources
a b 4 Gaming
April 20, 2014 1:23:03 PM

Yeah you definitely can't do a high end AMD build at anything less than ATX, it's fairly pointless to try.

The Aerocool case you have picked isn't really that small though, I doubt it'd be easy to move on a motorbike, mainly due to its width. I'd assume you'd need something you can fit into some sort of backpack, so ITX is likely to be highly preferable.

I'd suggest something like this for ITX - http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3vguk
and something like this for mATX - http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3vgx4

Both are much better shapes for transportation imo. You can obviously toss in an SSD or upgrade the storage as applicable.
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
April 20, 2014 1:23:38 PM

XxD34THxX said:

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($209.99 @ Newegg)

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H87N-WIFI Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard ($110.98 @ SuperBiiz)

Putting a cpu with which you can overclock on a motherboard with which that cannot happen is not a good choice.

How about this,

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4440 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.98 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H55 57.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($54.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock H87M Pro4 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($79.99 @ Micro Center)
Memory: A-Data XPG V1.0 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($64.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($67.99 @ Micro Center)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($54.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 770 2GB Video Card ($319.99 @ Newegg)
Case: BitFenix Colossus Micro MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($98.10 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair CX 500W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($34.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($19.98 @ OutletPC)
Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link TL-WN822N 802.11b/g/n USB 2.0 Wi-Fi Adapter ($18.83 @ Mwave)
Total: $1004.81
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-04-20 16:21 EDT-0400)
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
April 20, 2014 2:05:55 PM

Vic 40 said:
XxD34THxX said:

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($209.99 @ Newegg)

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H87N-WIFI Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard ($110.98 @ SuperBiiz)

Putting a cpu with which you can overclock on a motherboard with which that cannot happen is not a good choice.

How about this,

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4440 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.98 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H55 57.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($54.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock H87M Pro4 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($79.99 @ Micro Center)
Memory: A-Data XPG V1.0 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($64.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($67.99 @ Micro Center)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($54.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 770 2GB Video Card ($319.99 @ Newegg)
Case: BitFenix Colossus Micro MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($98.10 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair CX 500W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($34.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($19.98 @ OutletPC)
Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link TL-WN822N 802.11b/g/n USB 2.0 Wi-Fi Adapter ($18.83 @ Mwave)
Total: $1004.81
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-04-20 16:21 EDT-0400)

oops
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
May 17, 2014 3:14:26 AM

Rammy said:
Yeah you definitely can't do a high end AMD build at anything less than ATX, it's fairly pointless to try.

The Aerocool case you have picked isn't really that small though, I doubt it'd be easy to move on a motorbike, mainly due to its width. I'd assume you'd need something you can fit into some sort of backpack, so ITX is likely to be highly preferable.

I'd suggest something like this for ITX - http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3vguk
and something like this for mATX - http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3vgx4

Both are much better shapes for transportation imo. You can obviously toss in an SSD or upgrade the storage as applicable.


+1
m
0
l
!