FX-8350 or FX-9590, and what do I need for the upgrade?

Nachocheesemann

Reputable
Mar 10, 2014
So I have been looking seriously into a new CPU since I discovered that my current CPU, FX-4170, is a bit weak and out of date for games like BF4 and DayZ standalone, and it is seriously bottle-necking my GPU, a EVGA gtx780. So I started looking into a new AMD CPU and I came up with the FX-8350 and the FX-9590. I am wondering which one is a better and what I would need for either one. I don't really care budget wise, I just would like to know which parts will get the job done.

My current computer setup is:

ASUS Sabertooth 990FX
AMD FX-4170
EVGA Superclocked gtx780 3gb
10gb RAM (8 Corsair, 2 unspecified)
Antec 650W power supply
Windows 7 Ultimate
2TB HDD

If I go with the 9590 I know for sure I will need to upgrade my power supply, and I think I may need to upgrade my mother board(From what I have heard, I don't know but if I do, could you guys tell me and inform me on a good replacement?). I will not be Overclocking, but will I still need a liquid cooler? I have been looking at the CORSAIR H100i liquid cooler as a good cooler.

If I go with the 8350, I believe my computer will be all compatible with it.

So that would be great if you guys could give me some insight on which one will be a better buy, and with that one, what I will need to upgrade and some suggestions, that would be awesome!

Solution
i can't predict the future, but with the PS4 and xbone both housing the AMD 8 core jaguar CPU, on assumption we could defenetly believe that a stong 8 core CPU like the FX-83xx would indeed last for the entire PS4 era...modern games only begin to use more than 4 core on a CPU, as the games will evolve toward next gen they will get better and better optimisation for 8 core cpu's...and with directX12 that will feature low-level hardware access for the CPU and reduce overhead it will only get better...so honestly yes i think a good 8 core chip will last another 3 to 4 years of gaming.

About the FX-8350 vs FX-9590, you can check if you dont trust me but those are the same exact chip, but the FX-9590 is an highly binned chip that come's...

Remixex

Reputable
Mar 18, 2014
Any CPU that uses up to 140W can be used on that mobo, you can directly upgrade to a 8350, for the 9xxx you will need another mobo, i don't think a CPU requires liquid cooling if not overclocking, you should be fine, but i recommend you go for the 8350, it will be much cheaper and better price/performance considering you will have to upgrade mobo for the 9590

The FX-9590 is just an overclocked FX-8350. The power consumption is obscene, as is the price. Just grab an 8350. If you wanted something more powerful than that, going Intel would be a better idea (but far more expensive and unnecessary for gaming).

TG_thoMz

Reputable
Feb 15, 2014
You wouldn't notice much of a difference between the two, and you could easily just OC the 8350 (with a h100i or similar). Plus the 8350 would not require a new mobo and if you were going that route, then Intel would be a better option anyway.

paitjsu sadff

Honorable
Jan 29, 2014
you dont even need watercooling to oc the fx-83xx chips, i have my fx-8320 at 4.75ghz atm and i use only a 29$ cooler master hyper 212 cpu cooler...
op i suggest you order an fx8320 or fx8350 along with the cooler master hyper 212 and youre good to go i have the same gpu you have and my performance in games is just fabulous...and the fx-83xx is a direct drop in for you no need for a new mobo yours is already high-end...you will get MUCH better performance from this 8 core piledriver cpu...really worth it in your case.

Nachocheesemann

Reputable
Mar 10, 2014

Yeah I saw that, and it would of been nice to get it, but at that point I was not too sure on what CPU is good.

Nachocheesemann

Reputable
Mar 10, 2014

So will this last me 3 or more years, because I would like to make an investment that will boost my performance for the next couple years until I need to do another upgrade because that was what got me to consider the 9590 instead of the 8350 in the first place.

paitjsu sadff

Honorable
Jan 29, 2014
i can't predict the future, but with the PS4 and xbone both housing the AMD 8 core jaguar CPU, on assumption we could defenetly believe that a stong 8 core CPU like the FX-83xx would indeed last for the entire PS4 era...modern games only begin to use more than 4 core on a CPU, as the games will evolve toward next gen they will get better and better optimisation for 8 core cpu's...and with directX12 that will feature low-level hardware access for the CPU and reduce overhead it will only get better...so honestly yes i think a good 8 core chip will last another 3 to 4 years of gaming.

About the FX-8350 vs FX-9590, you can check if you dont trust me but those are the same exact chip, but the FX-9590 is an highly binned chip that come's pre-overclocked to 5ghz...but most FX-8350 with some overclocking tweaks will reach 4.8ghz and some FX-8350 reach 5.0 and 5.2ghz...so the price difference between both chip is just to guarantee you the extra 200mhz or so on overclocking and you pay AMD to do the overclocking for you, wich is btw very easy, you put the multiplier in the bios to 24 (24 x 200mhz = 4800mhz or 4.8ghz) and you set voltage to 1.5v...

Solution

supercoup

Reputable
Apr 30, 2014

The higher power consumption of 220 watts was established to supply the upgraded cores of the processor not just to overclock. You don't overclock with overall wattage. The die actually requires 220 watts. The reason you need a different motherboard is because the mosfets on the motherboard are rated for the 220 watt feed as apposed to the motherboard for the 8350 which only requires 140 watts to run. True, the 8350 is a workhorse and can be easily overclocked although I do not overclock, it serves me well by running 9 programs at one time in a flight simulator and has been doing so for the last 3 years. Don't underestimate the 9590, it's a speed demon, im just waiting for a price drop.

The cores are not "upgraded", they are the same damn things. They're just overclocked. And that leads to a higher power consumption. In this case MUCH higher than the already high power consumption of the FX-8350. Besides, you can get much of that extra performance just by overclocking an FX-8350 yourself.