660 GeForce stuttering during gameplay

tyler56

Honorable
Dec 24, 2012
Alright, not too long ago I made a thread on here and thought I had determined that my GTX 660 was broken and the cause of the blue screen crashes I was having.

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2094789/games-system-crash.html

I purchased a replacement 660, and bam, everything was good. At first.

The card ran smoothly for a week or 2, with 2 or 3 events of game freezing for 4 or 5 seconds and then continuing to play smoothly. I assume the card had an error of some sort and recovered.

Now, however, during game play, the card repeatedly stutters. Game freezes for like half a second and then continues. On EVGA precision, the card has been running my game (elderscrolls online) at a pretty consistent 90-95% power usage. When it stutters, precision shows the power usage drop to 0% and then immediately go back up to 90% again.

And just today, the power usage is jumping all over the place with no consistency.

I have no idea whats going on. Is there something wrong with the system I have running it? Or is the 660 really just a shitty card?

Heres system specs:

intel i5-2400 3.10ghz quad core
EVGA GeForce 660 FTW NVIDIA
Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H
800 watt power supply (can't find the box xD)

Edit: It appears to only do this stuttering in 4 man dungeons and when lots of people are around? I am not sure, will test it out more tomorrow. Regardless, I still have those 3 events of 5 second freezes that concern me a bit