Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

1000€ Gaming/Video Editing (Perhaps Streaming) Build for a friend.

Last response: in Systems
Share
April 21, 2014 12:39:42 PM

Hello Tom's Hardware Community, I have been asked by a friend to build a new PC for him and has given me a budget of 1000 euros to work with. Now to start off, I'd like to say that my friend is a big show-off and likes to have bragging rights. (Nearly got him away from the idea to get a Xeon E3-1230v3, although I do know it is a very good budget substitute for a i7-4770.)

He prefers NVIDIA and Intel parts, which isn't that big of a problem seeing his budget and he really would like run BF4, DayZ and WoW on Ultra settings at a steady 60+ FPS.

That's the part where I have been breaking my head, I have spent over 12 hours putting together possible builds, but they simply cannot reach his requirements. I would love if a more experienced member could help me out with this (I don't call myself experienced with about 5 finished builds).

The parts he already has are:
  • A storage HDD
  • A monitor
  • A keyboard
  • A mouse
  • Windows 8.1 Pro

    I'd like to add, we are in Europe (Luxembourg to be exact, but Germany and France deliver here) and I'm not really feeling like mail forwarding from the US to Europe.

    Thank you in advance,

    Hax0rRaccoon
    April 21, 2014 12:44:12 PM

    Intel Core i7-4770k
    Any ASUS Z87 motherboard
    16 GB DDR3 1866 MHz RAM
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770 or above
    Samsung, Crucial, or Intel SSD
    m
    0
    l
    April 21, 2014 12:48:59 PM

    Joseph DeGarmo said:
    Intel Core i7-4770k
    Any ASUS Z87 motherboard
    16 GB DDR3 1866 MHz RAM
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770 or above
    Samsung, Crucial, or Intel SSD


    I think there's a problem with that, since I am putting that on a list right now and am already way over 1000 euros, you know, we have a bigger VAT on part lists than the US. (I also picked the cheapest ones I could)
    m
    0
    l
    Related resources
    April 21, 2014 12:49:37 PM

    http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Danbuscus250/saved/4rj6
    CPU Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core $199.99
    CPU Cooler Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing $29.98
    Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z87X-D3H ATX LGA1150 $129.99
    Memory G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 $144.99
    Storage Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" SSD $80.99
    Video Card Asus Radeon R9 290X 4GB $619.99
    Case Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower $57.99
    Power Supply XFX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V $74.99
    Optical Drive Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer $15.98
    Total: $1354.89

    this will max any game you throw at it for years, and it has room to add a second 290X in the future. the price is in USD, but it is the equivalent of about 990 Euros, however im not sure if you can get these parts where ever you live.
    m
    0
    l

    Best solution

    April 21, 2014 12:50:27 PM

    Hi,
    Your friend is actually right, the Xeon 1230 V3 is quite a budget substitute for i7 4770k
    Here is something for your friend for sub 1000 Eur.
    Just the Xeon is LGA 1155 and the Motherboard is also 1155. 1150 Xeon V3 wasn't available on European Pcpartpicker. Btw the prices will be the same for the newer Xeon and newer Motherboard as the LGA 1155 ones.

    Every part selected is form Germany.

    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

    CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1230 V2 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor (€204.89 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Motherboard: ASRock H77M Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard (€60.18 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Memory: Team 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (€119.90 @ Caseking)
    Storage: Crucial M500 240GB 2.5" Solid State Disk (€91.90 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 770 2GB Video Card (€291.60 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case (€52.90 @ Caseking)
    Power Supply: XFX 650W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply (€75.75 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer (€13.00 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Total: €910.12
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-04-21 21:48 CEST+0200)
    Share
    April 21, 2014 12:51:23 PM

    Danbuscus25 said:
    http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Danbuscus250/saved/4rj6
    CPU Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core $199.99
    CPU Cooler Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing $29.98
    Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z87X-D3H ATX LGA1150 $129.99
    Memory G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 $144.99
    Storage Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" SSD $80.99
    Video Card Asus Radeon R9 290X 4GB $619.99
    Case Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower $57.99
    Power Supply XFX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V $74.99
    Optical Drive Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer $15.98
    Total: $1354.89

    this will max any game you throw at it for years, and it has room to add a second 290X in the future. the price is in USD, but it is the equivalent of about 990 Euros, however im not sure if you can get these parts where ever you live.


    Would have been easy if I had the ability to put the ATI Radeon GPUs in his build, but he is really full of it and thinks Radeon cards are inferior quality. Could you throw an Nvidia equivalent at me?
    m
    0
    l
    April 21, 2014 12:53:29 PM

    maurelie said:
    Hi,
    Your friend is actually right, the Xeon 1230 V3 is quite a budget substitute for i7 4770k
    Here is something for your friend for sub 1000 Eur.
    Just the Xeon is LGA 1155 and the Motherboard is also 1155. 1150 Xeon V3 wasn't available on European Pcpartpicker. Btw the prices will be the same for the newer Xeon and newer Motherboard as the LGA 1155 ones.

    Every part selected is form Germany.

    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

    CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1230 V2 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor (€204.89 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Motherboard: ASRock H77M Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard (€60.18 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Memory: Team 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (€119.90 @ Caseking)
    Storage: Crucial M500 240GB 2.5" Solid State Disk (€91.90 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 770 2GB Video Card (€291.60 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case (€52.90 @ Caseking)
    Power Supply: XFX 650W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply (€75.75 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer (€13.00 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Total: €910.12
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-04-21 21:48 CEST+0200)


    Thanks! You just saved me from a lot of headache, also, I found the v3 for 180 euros at a local shop here, what if I grab that one for him and get something like i.e the Gryphon Z87? Or would that be overkill since he wouldn't be able to OC?
    m
    0
    l
    April 21, 2014 12:54:31 PM

    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

    CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor (£235.80 @ Aria PC)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87X-D3H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£95.84 @ Scan.co.uk)
    Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£59.99 @ Aria PC)
    Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk (£59.95 @ Amazon UK)
    Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 3GB Video Card (£384.99 @ Dabs)
    Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 Plus ATX Mid Tower Case (£62.29 @ Scan.co.uk)
    Power Supply: XFX ProSeries 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (£98.10 @ Scan.co.uk)
    Total: £996.96
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-04-21 20:53 BST+0100)
    m
    0
    l
    April 21, 2014 12:56:04 PM

    Hax0rRaccoon said:
    maurelie said:
    Hi,
    Your friend is actually right, the Xeon 1230 V3 is quite a budget substitute for i7 4770k
    Here is something for your friend for sub 1000 Eur.
    Just the Xeon is LGA 1155 and the Motherboard is also 1155. 1150 Xeon V3 wasn't available on European Pcpartpicker. Btw the prices will be the same for the newer Xeon and newer Motherboard as the LGA 1155 ones.

    Every part selected is form Germany.

    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

    CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1230 V2 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor (€204.89 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Motherboard: ASRock H77M Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard (€60.18 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Memory: Team 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (€119.90 @ Caseking)
    Storage: Crucial M500 240GB 2.5" Solid State Disk (€91.90 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 770 2GB Video Card (€291.60 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case (€52.90 @ Caseking)
    Power Supply: XFX 650W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply (€75.75 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer (€13.00 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Total: €910.12
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-04-21 21:48 CEST+0200)


    Thanks! You just saved me from a lot of headache, also, I found the v3 for 180 euros at a local shop here, what if I grab that one for him and get something like i.e the Gryphon Z87? Or would that be overkill since he wouldn't be able to OC?


    I am in the same position with locked i7 2600 and overclockable P67 EVO, and i am kicking myself every day for making that mistake and didn't wait for good H67 motherboard to arrive, plus i7 2600k wasn't available at the time.
    It is painful to use Z87 with the Xeon :) 
    m
    0
    l
    April 21, 2014 12:56:20 PM

    well, go for the v3 if you can, socket 1150 is newest, and the nvidia equivalent of the 290X is the 780 Ti.
    m
    0
    l
    April 21, 2014 1:00:04 PM

    maurelie said:
    Hax0rRaccoon said:
    maurelie said:
    Hi,
    Your friend is actually right, the Xeon 1230 V3 is quite a budget substitute for i7 4770k
    Here is something for your friend for sub 1000 Eur.
    Just the Xeon is LGA 1155 and the Motherboard is also 1155. 1150 Xeon V3 wasn't available on European Pcpartpicker. Btw the prices will be the same for the newer Xeon and newer Motherboard as the LGA 1155 ones.

    Every part selected is form Germany.

    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

    CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1230 V2 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor (€204.89 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Motherboard: ASRock H77M Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard (€60.18 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Memory: Team 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (€119.90 @ Caseking)
    Storage: Crucial M500 240GB 2.5" Solid State Disk (€91.90 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 770 2GB Video Card (€291.60 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case (€52.90 @ Caseking)
    Power Supply: XFX 650W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply (€75.75 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer (€13.00 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Total: €910.12
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-04-21 21:48 CEST+0200)


    Thanks! You just saved me from a lot of headache, also, I found the v3 for 180 euros at a local shop here, what if I grab that one for him and get something like i.e the Gryphon Z87? Or would that be overkill since he wouldn't be able to OC?


    I am in the same position with locked i7 2600 and overclockable P67 EVO, and i am kicking myself every day for making that mistake and didn't wait for good H67 motherboard to arrive, plus i7 2600k wasn't available at the time.
    It is painful to use Z87 with the Xeon :) 


    I guess I'm going with H87 or B85 then.
    m
    0
    l
    April 21, 2014 1:01:22 PM

    Hax0rRaccoon said:
    maurelie said:
    Hax0rRaccoon said:
    maurelie said:
    Hi,
    Your friend is actually right, the Xeon 1230 V3 is quite a budget substitute for i7 4770k
    Here is something for your friend for sub 1000 Eur.
    Just the Xeon is LGA 1155 and the Motherboard is also 1155. 1150 Xeon V3 wasn't available on European Pcpartpicker. Btw the prices will be the same for the newer Xeon and newer Motherboard as the LGA 1155 ones.

    Every part selected is form Germany.

    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

    CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1230 V2 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor (€204.89 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Motherboard: ASRock H77M Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard (€60.18 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Memory: Team 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (€119.90 @ Caseking)
    Storage: Crucial M500 240GB 2.5" Solid State Disk (€91.90 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 770 2GB Video Card (€291.60 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case (€52.90 @ Caseking)
    Power Supply: XFX 650W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply (€75.75 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer (€13.00 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Total: €910.12
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-04-21 21:48 CEST+0200)


    Thanks! You just saved me from a lot of headache, also, I found the v3 for 180 euros at a local shop here, what if I grab that one for him and get something like i.e the Gryphon Z87? Or would that be overkill since he wouldn't be able to OC?


    I am in the same position with locked i7 2600 and overclockable P67 EVO, and i am kicking myself every day for making that mistake and didn't wait for good H67 motherboard to arrive, plus i7 2600k wasn't available at the time.
    It is painful to use Z87 with the Xeon :) 


    I guess I'm going with H87 or B85 then.


    Yup, smart and economic choice.
    m
    0
    l
    April 21, 2014 1:01:56 PM
    April 21, 2014 1:04:21 PM



    I am pretty sure Maurelie's configuration beats every single one of those.
    m
    0
    l
    !