Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

ECS A990FXM-A motherboard not starting

Last response: in Components
Share
April 22, 2014 9:42:03 AM

Hi!

I just got a new motherboard for my rig but it's not booting. Not even giving POST. Just turning on fans, motherboard LEDs and the HDD usage LED blinking every 1 second.

My specs:
MB: ECS A990FXM-A V1.0 (AM3/AM3+)
CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE (AM3)
RAM: 1X4GB Corsair
GPU: MSI GTX 550Ti OC
PSU: Generic 800W
HDD: 4 SATA standard
no extra fans or watercooling.

Any ideas? This is the second identical motherboard I've got that does the same. I tried booting only with CPU and RAM, only CPU, etc. Even went through the troubleshooting thread. No success.

Thanks!
a c 1163 V Motherboard
April 22, 2014 9:54:25 AM

CPU power connector plugged in? Generic PSU maybe the issue in that case since you are on second board.
m
0
l
a b V Motherboard
April 22, 2014 9:56:15 AM

First off make sure that all connectors are properly attached.

RAM and GPU are seated good.
24pin and 8pin power connector both in good in the motherboard.
Power connector in GPU if it uses one
All power and sata cables pluged in good.
Monitor cable pluged in good to both pc and

If everything is wired correctly then I would be concerned that the generic brand 800w psu is crap. You sould never go cheap on the part that can fry everything else.
m
0
l
Related resources
April 22, 2014 10:02:31 AM

I think is the PSU but why? It's 800W so it should have enough juice to power everything. Even starting with the minimum components should make it boot.
It was bought on 2010.

One of the weird things i remember is that when i got the GTX 550 Ti (Stock overclocked to 950MHz.) i could go coverclock it up to 1GHz. but when applying 1.1, the computer would freeze. Maybe the PSU?

More info about the PSU:

+3.3V: 35A
+5V: 35A
+12V1: 29A
+12V2: 29A
-12V: 0.8A
+5Vsb: 3.0A
Conexión de salida:
1 x 20+4 pin connector
1 x +12V 8 pin connector
2 x diskette connector
6 x molex connector
6 x SATA connector
1 x 6 pin PCI-E connector
1 x 8 pin PCI-E connector
m
0
l

Best solution

a b V Motherboard
April 22, 2014 10:09:41 AM

When a generic company claims 800 watts and is not 80 plus certified, then the 800 watts does not mean anything, it might not be able to do 400 watts for more then a couple of seconds.

Then there is no standard of quality control so who knows what volts/amps it is really putting out to the different items.
Share
April 22, 2014 10:24:06 AM

I think that's the problem but why it can run my previous config (everything the same except motherboard. ASUS M4A78LT-M LX) but not even only the motherboard with CPU, RAM and old GPU connected?
m
0
l
a b V Motherboard
April 22, 2014 10:33:14 AM

990 motherboard has an 8 pin power connector and I am going to guess that your old asus one did not. So the motherboard itself uses more power.

It can also be that the newer motherboard has more undervoltage overvoltage protections and thus is not allowing to post due to your PSU not operating in specified range.
m
0
l
April 22, 2014 10:40:00 AM

boosted1g said:
990 motherboard has an 8 pin power connector and I am going to guess that your old asus one did not. So the motherboard itself uses more power.

It can also be that the newer motherboard has more undervoltage overvoltage protections and thus is not allowing to post due to your PSU not operating in specified range.


Oh, didn't think of that... So, if the PSU is the problem, any recommendations? I live in Chile so I can't order from Newegg or Amazon without paying international shipping and taxes. So I did a search on national PC parts stores and found these three options:

    Corsair® 600w / 14cm 80Plus Bronze Gaming Series GS600


    Thermaltake® 500w / 12cm 80Plus Bronze TR2


    Corsair® 500w / 12cm 80Plus Bronze CX500M


Which one would be better? I plan on doing some overclock to my GPU or getting a new one in the future so power usage might go up.
m
0
l
a b V Motherboard
April 22, 2014 10:50:37 AM

3rd is good for what you have. 1st one better if you have desire to get a high end graphics card in the future.

How much of a price difference are the two?
m
0
l
April 22, 2014 10:58:05 AM

boosted1g said:
3rd is good for what you have. 1st one better if you have desire to get a high end graphics card in the future.

How much of a price difference are the two?


The first one is around $26 dollars more than the third one.

m
0
l
a c 1163 V Motherboard
April 22, 2014 11:21:33 AM

If the PSU was a known working unit it could be it is not the issue, at least it has enough rated power on the +12 volts. But you have to start somewhere the CX500M should power that rig fine.
m
0
l
April 22, 2014 11:31:34 AM

rolli59 said:
If the PSU was a known working unit it could be it is not the issue, at least it has enough rated power on the +12 volts. But you have to start somewhere the CX500M should power that rig fine.


Yeah. the board was known to work as it was used for benchmarking a couple of days (without overclocking) so i assume it must be the PSU. I'll go for the CX500M then. Thanks!
m
0
l
April 22, 2014 11:50:32 AM

Oh, I forgot to mention that i tested with a Sempron 140 CPU (40W usage) and still didn't get any POST.
m
0
l
a c 1163 V Motherboard
April 22, 2014 11:52:39 AM

Crossing fingers but it has happened before people got two bad boards in a row!
m
0
l
April 22, 2014 11:56:18 AM

rolli59 said:
Crossing fingers but it has happened before people got two bad boards in a row!


I don't know if the first board was known to work but the second yes. It was working before I got it. I tested with a 40W Sempron CPU and still no POST. Still possibilities of bad PSU? Or does that confirms board DOA? I am about to go and buy the new PSU but if this confirms dead motherboard, i'll stay with my origina config.
m
0
l
a c 1163 V Motherboard
April 22, 2014 12:33:00 PM

It does not confirm anything still can be the PSU but what is the chances of borrowing one to test before committing?
m
0
l
April 22, 2014 12:34:43 PM

rolli59 said:
It does not confirm anything still can be the PSU but what is the chances of borrowing one to test before committing?


None. I don't know anyone with a powerful PSU. Everyone (or almos everyone) i know use either notebook or have crappy desktops.
m
0
l
a c 1163 V Motherboard
April 22, 2014 12:58:21 PM

Well a crappy small one connected correctly would at least boot the board with CPU until it fails ram test.
m
0
l
April 22, 2014 1:34:46 PM

rolli59 said:
Well a crappy small one connected correctly would at least boot the board with CPU until it fails ram test.


Unless it's VERY crappy but that's weird because it's capable of running my Phenom X4 and my GTX 550 Ti fine. I run new games perfectly. No freezes whatsoever.

I found someone with a decent PSU and will give it a try tomorrow. If it doesn't boot it's dead.

m
0
l
a c 1163 V Motherboard
April 22, 2014 3:25:11 PM

EPerezF said:
rolli59 said:
Well a crappy small one connected correctly would at least boot the board with CPU until it fails ram test.


Unless it's VERY crappy but that's weird because it's capable of running my Phenom X4 and my GTX 550 Ti fine. I run new games perfectly. No freezes whatsoever.

I found someone with a decent PSU and will give it a try tomorrow. If it doesn't boot it's dead.



That is why I am in doubt because just a board change does hardly increase the load.
m
0
l
April 22, 2014 5:26:44 PM

rolli59 said:
EPerezF said:
rolli59 said:
Well a crappy small one connected correctly would at least boot the board with CPU until it fails ram test.


Unless it's VERY crappy but that's weird because it's capable of running my Phenom X4 and my GTX 550 Ti fine. I run new games perfectly. No freezes whatsoever.

I found someone with a decent PSU and will give it a try tomorrow. If it doesn't boot it's dead.



That is why I am in doubt because just a board change does hardly increase the load.


Well, i just turned on my old config (the ASUS motherboard) and in idle, the PSU seems to run quite hot. Playing a game makes the airflow feel warm. Mybe it's barely moving this config but still starting only the basic should get it to boot :/ 

m
0
l
a c 1163 V Motherboard
April 22, 2014 7:10:57 PM

Yes it should boot with basic's if it does with the Asus board,.
m
0
l
April 22, 2014 8:12:36 PM

rolli59 said:
Yes it should boot with basic's if it does with the Asus board,.


Then I don't know why it's not booting. I'll try with another PSU just in case.
m
0
l
April 30, 2014 12:12:28 PM

rolli59 said:
Yes it should boot with basic's if it does with the Asus board,.


Hi! I tried with another PSU. A Corsair Gaming Series 600W. Still no POST.
m
0
l
a c 1163 V Motherboard
April 30, 2014 1:56:07 PM

Suspecting board if there are no bent pins on the CPU.
m
0
l
!