Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

How do I use 2 Separate Net Connections Selectively?

Last response: in Networking
Share
April 22, 2014 2:39:18 PM

Hi all,

For security reasons I have to connect to certain websites and applications on a white-listed Static IP. It was WAY cheaper for me to add a separate DSL line for this purpose.

So now I have my cable net and the static DSL plugged into separate adapters on my pc. But I had to disable the cable adapter in order to get my browser and applications to use the correct connection.

What I'm asking is, is there any easy way for me to keep both active, and only utilize the terribly slow DSL connection for the sites and applications that need it?

I added in that I am using Windows 7 but I guess it didn't save, sorry.

Thanks!!
April 22, 2014 3:30:36 PM

Create a VM and assign the DSL to it exclusively?
m
0
l
April 22, 2014 3:33:24 PM

popatim said:
Create a VM and assign the DSL to it exclusively?


Ouch, besides that being a pain in and of itself, adds further complication to my work. All of this is for work btw.
m
0
l
Related resources

Best solution

April 23, 2014 5:44:47 AM

The "magic" command is called ROUTE. You need to remove the default route on the device that is not you primary internet. You can do that in the network configuration or you can use ROUTER DELETE to get rid of the 0.0.0.0 route on the secondary internet.

You then use ROUTE ADD to force the machine to use the secondary connection for certain IP. It can get very tedious if you have a large number of IP to do.
Share
April 23, 2014 9:01:12 AM

bill001g said:
The "magic" command is called ROUTE. You need to remove the default route on the device that is not you primary internet. You can do that in the network configuration or you can use ROUTER DELETE to get rid of the 0.0.0.0 route on the secondary internet.

You then use ROUTE ADD to force the machine to use the secondary connection for certain IP. It can get very tedious if you have a large number of IP to do.


Hey, Thanks so much for this!!! Pretty much exactly what I needed. Still open to other solutions but gonna give this one a try. Just as soon as I can get a giant corporation to provide me with the info on the IP addresses, lol.
m
0
l
April 23, 2014 9:16:56 AM

NMD83 said:
bill001g said:
The "magic" command is called ROUTE. You need to remove the default route on the device that is not you primary internet. You can do that in the network configuration or you can use ROUTER DELETE to get rid of the 0.0.0.0 route on the secondary internet.

You then use ROUTE ADD to force the machine to use the secondary connection for certain IP. It can get very tedious if you have a large number of IP to do.


Hey, Thanks so much for this!!! Pretty much exactly what I needed. Still open to other solutions but gonna give this one a try. Just as soon as I can get a giant corporation to provide me with the info on the IP addresses, lol.


Just run a wireshark capture for a while. You should get most the addresses pretty quickly. If they use akamai where the ip move around from time to time it will be a little harder but most times you always use the closest serves.
m
0
l
!