HD 4600 (i3 4340) Crashing w/Win 7 & 8

testudoAubreii

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
Hello,

I am building an HTPC and I was able to successfully install all of my components. Here they are:

Gigabyte H87N Wifi
i3 4340
2 x 2 GBs Patriot Signature Line 1600
Corsair 430w
Cooler Master Elite 110

I was able to install Windows 8. However, when I installed the driver for Intel HD 4600, my HTPC crahsed upon boot-up. It would get to the Windows logo and then just go to a black screen. The computer would not shut off, just black screen. I was able to boot into safe mode and uninstall the HD 4600 driver. I was able to boot back into Windows, but as soon as I installed the HD 4600 driver it would crash. So, I decided to revert back to Windows 7 SP1. I got the same exact results. I don't know what to do.

Is there some sort of issues running HD 4600 integrated graphics with Windows? I could just get a discrete GPU, but that kind of defeats the purpose of using the HD iGPU of Intel for a small HTPC build.

Thank you in advance for any and all help, suggestions and advice.

Testudo

testudoAubreii

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012

Thank you for your response!

I don't know what the driver's name is. I am at work, but I can check it when I get home. I got it from Intel's site, though. Can it be a motherboard issue?

Yes, it could be the MB and it could also be the CPU, but most likely culprits are video driver and BIOS.

Have you tried to update your MB to the latest BIOS?

Yogi

testudoAubreii

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012

I thought so, but I will have to check when I get home. Thanks!

testudoAubreii

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
I could not figure it out. I packed up everything and sent it back. Really disappointed. I am thinking about doing an AMD/APU build for my next project. I don't know if Intel HD graphics are going to work or not.