Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Any idea what is wrong with this?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
April 24, 2014 9:40:39 AM

I recently built my PC and it worked great until yesterday where it randomly turned a greenish black color right before I turned it off. When I tried booting it back up it looked fine until it got to the login screen where I got the same unresponsive greenish black screen. I completely wiped my hard drive and reinstalled windows 8.1 and I get the same problem when I attempt to install the graphics drivers.
PC Specs: MSI R9 270x, intel xeon e3 1230 v2, asus p8z77-v pro, 8gb corsair vengeance pro, 1tb seagate hdd.

More about : idea wrong

April 24, 2014 10:49:41 AM

Well, based on the issue where it acts up trying to install the graphics drivers, I'd say there is possibly an issue with the video card. If you have another video card lying around, I'd try to plug that one in to see if the same issue comes up. If spare is an equal or higher power draw video card, then it is definitely the 270x. If the spare is a lower power draw video card, then it could be either the video card or the computer power supply that is acting up. There is also a chance that the pcie slot on the motherboard is acting up instead. Without some trial and error troubleshooting, there's no 100% way to know for sure.
m
0
l
April 24, 2014 10:54:06 AM

Vlad Rose said:
Well, based on the issue where it acts up trying to install the graphics drivers, I'd say there is possibly an issue with the video card. If you have another video card lying around, I'd try to plug that one in to see if the same issue comes up. If spare is an equal or higher power draw video card, then it is definitely the 270x. If the spare is a lower power draw video card, then it could be either the video card or the computer power supply that is acting up. There is also a chance that the pcie slot on the motherboard is acting up instead. Without some trial and error troubleshooting, there's no 100% way to know for sure.


The computer worked fine for 6 days with no problems until last night upon which I had to do a full system reset because it wouldn't allow me to do anything. Also the problem seems to be occurring when I attempt to install the AMD display driver.
m
0
l
Related resources
April 24, 2014 10:56:35 AM

are you sure you downloaded the latest AMD catalyst drivers that are the good ones for your graphics card?
m
0
l
April 24, 2014 10:58:11 AM

paitjsu sadff said:
are you sure you downloaded the latest AMD catalyst drivers that are the good ones for your graphics card?


I'm pretty sure I'm downloading them off of the amd site so I assume that they are up to date.
m
0
l
April 24, 2014 11:39:17 AM

Do you have a good reliable power supply with at least 500w? what PSU are you using?
m
0
l
April 24, 2014 1:30:29 PM

paitjsu sadff said:
Do you have a good reliable power supply with at least 500w? what PSU are you using?


I'm not sure about reliable, but I have a raidmax cobra 700w PSU. Also sorry for the delay I tried reinstalling the driver and it got stuck in the same state it did earlier so I had to do a full system restore.
m
0
l
April 24, 2014 1:39:50 PM

ok first, you will download driver sweeper and run in it windows SAFE MODE, uninstall everything that is related to your graphics card driver with that tool...this is only way to completely re-install from clean your AMD drivers...then re-install you up to date version of catalyst with all the bells and whistles that it comes packed with....you MUST try that before you do anything else...driver sweeper in SAFE MODE (this is important can't emphasis enough on this : SAFE MODE) and the fresh re-install...
m
0
l
April 24, 2014 1:42:28 PM

paitjsu sadff said:
ok first, you will download driver sweeper and run in it windows SAFE MODE, uninstall everything that is related to your graphics card driver with that tool...this is only way to completely re-install from clean your AMD drivers...then re-install you up to date version of catalyst with all the bells and whistles that it comes packed with....you MUST try that before you do anything else...driver sweeper in SAFE MODE (this is important can't emphasis enough on this : SAFE MODE) and the fresh re-install...


Okay, I'll do this as soon as my computer gets through with wiping the hard drive as that is the only way I've found that actually fixes the start up problem.
m
0
l
April 24, 2014 3:01:28 PM

PCNoobXCVII said:
paitjsu sadff said:
Do you have a good reliable power supply with at least 500w? what PSU are you using?


I'm not sure about reliable, but I have a raidmax cobra 700w PSU. Also sorry for the delay I tried reinstalling the driver and it got stuck in the same state it did earlier so I had to do a full system restore.


Raidmax is one of the cheaper brands of power supplies out there. They're decent as long as they're not pushed. @700 watt max, it should be okay.
m
0
l
April 24, 2014 3:35:09 PM

paitjsu sadff said:
ok first, you will download driver sweeper and run in it windows SAFE MODE, uninstall everything that is related to your graphics card driver with that tool...this is only way to completely re-install from clean your AMD drivers...then re-install you up to date version of catalyst with all the bells and whistles that it comes packed with....you MUST try that before you do anything else...driver sweeper in SAFE MODE (this is important can't emphasis enough on this : SAFE MODE) and the fresh re-install...


Are you wanting me to run windows in safe mode or does driver sweeper have a safe mode?
m
0
l
April 24, 2014 3:40:43 PM

windows, boot in safe mode and launch driver sweeper and remove everything AMD related...then back in normal windows and re-install fresh drivers.
m
0
l
April 24, 2014 4:08:38 PM

paitjsu sadff said:
windows, boot in safe mode and launch driver sweeper and remove everything AMD related...then back in normal windows and re-install fresh drivers.


I did it and I'm still getting the same problem when installing the display driver.
m
0
l
April 24, 2014 4:54:54 PM

is that gpu still under warranty ?
m
0
l
April 24, 2014 5:03:00 PM

Yes, it's also covered under a return policy from newegg.
m
0
l
April 24, 2014 5:12:50 PM

try to reseat the gpu in the slot and clean if any dust...also chech power connection to make sure its fine...
m
0
l
April 24, 2014 5:15:13 PM

paitjsu sadff said:
try to reseat the gpu in the slot and clean if any dust...also chech power connection to make sure its fine...


I've already reseated it and I've also tried a different port for it, and the power connectors are fine. I think I'm just going to ship it back to newegg for a replacement as it's free shipping.
m
0
l

Best solution

April 24, 2014 5:31:42 PM

i think you tried pretty much everything possible you can do...nice try.
Share
April 24, 2014 5:33:48 PM

paitjsu sadff said:
i think you tried pretty much everything possible you can do...nice try.


Yeah, thanks for trying to help though, I'm just upset that the thing only lasted 6 days. Although I guess it's better than it lasting a month and then going out.
m
0
l
April 24, 2014 5:54:09 PM

yeah usualy stuff fail in the beginning like that or it last for years...i hope its only a gpu failure...is that a new mobo too?
m
0
l
April 24, 2014 5:58:07 PM

paitjsu sadff said:
yeah usualy stuff fail in the beginning like that or it last for years...i hope its only a gpu failure...is that a new mobo too?


Yeah it's all new, it's actually my first PC build so I expected a failure. I was just hoping that it would be a wiring problem.
m
0
l
April 24, 2014 6:55:20 PM

it might still be driver related or something but at this point i doubt...are you in a position where you could do a full re-format and re-install of windows? it might be worth a try before you send them back the stuff...
m
0
l
April 24, 2014 7:43:02 PM

paitjsu sadff said:
it might still be driver related or something but at this point i doubt...are you in a position where you could do a full re-format and re-install of windows? it might be worth a try before you send them back the stuff...


I did on 3 times just today. Every single time I ran into the same problem.
m
0
l
April 24, 2014 8:13:31 PM

oh well... :(  sorry man...it's sad, send back you have no choice. try to get some help from newegg maybe...
m
0
l
April 24, 2014 9:02:37 PM

paitjsu sadff said:
oh well... :(  sorry man...it's sad, send back you have no choice. try to get some help from newegg maybe...


Yeah, it sucks. I've got the thing packaged up and ready to send off in the morning. I'm just hoping that it is the GPU and not something else and that I'm not just sending this off for no reason.
m
0
l
!